Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
All this chatter about Quim brings up another point - is the entire discount program limited to JUST him? Doesn't he have an assistant, or a team, or someone similar who is assigned to 'hold down the fort' while he's on vacation?

Certainly every working man is entitled to vacation, and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that someone interrupt his just so that we can save a few bucks, but I find it slightly worrisome that only one person is able to do anything about it, you know what I mean?

In any case he was the only one *talking* to us, and no one else seems to be willing to.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
No comment.

(I meant the only one in an official position, obviously :-)

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
You're right: posting here is better.

LOL, here maybe more pointless I agree (I don't know if any Maemo/Nokia members read here or not)

I actually posted on Quin's Blog back at the end of Dec. Public, and directly related to the Codes post he posted, not here on the issue.

All silliness aside, that thread is closer to the heart of maemo than this one is. You want action? Direct it as close to the source as you can.
So, in your opinion the moderated/queue based thread you linked too is better than Quin's Blog entry on the Codes? Or would you say they are about even? You have a better knowledge of "Nokia" then most of us would. But normally in my experience the public posts get more "action" then the easily ignored private posts.

I am still a fan and love my N810, quirks and all. But I am definitely critical of screwups... just gotta be careful how I render that.
Ain't that the truth... I understand the line you are walking...
Out of curiosity, I know you are out of TX (I'm north of you In OK) what position are you in now at Nokia?

Nathan.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
So, in your opinion the moderated/queue based thread you linked too is better than Quin's Blog entry on the Codes? Or would you say they are about even?
Both have their advantages, but anything on maemo *should* be more likely to be monitored by more Nokians. Offcially anyway.

Out of curiosity, I know you are out of TX (I'm north of you In OK) what position are you in now at Nokia?

Nathan.
I was originally hired as a Quality feedback Analyst. My role was database design, programming, web work, process improvement and metrics rationalization. As our plant headed toward closure, I was assigned another role as quality engineer for tablets and certain phones. After the plant closed, I went to work for the America's timezone quality team, to start improving metrics gathering and reporting. Then Nokia reorganized and I wound up in Logistics claims. 4 bosses total last year.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Winnipeg, Canada
America's timezone quality team? So, why couldn't I set my Nokia 770 to the Newfoundland timezone (1.5 hours ahead of EST)? That's YOUR fault?!?!

They'll be clubbing seals in your honour tonight, my friend...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Yeah, I can. I just need to let the situation perc in the back of my mind so I can figure out the best way to approach it. I have a couple of other articles ahead of that and I'll try to knock them out ASAP. But I have a cold today so I'm doing good to even put this thought together... lol.
Why not quote the post from zerojay (post #322) in full? How zerojay feels is pretty much how I feel, in fact I think I'm further along the road than he is - I'm getting really fed up and disheartened by the amateur way in which this project is being run, and how we as a community are being let down by maemo.org and Nokia in general.

The last 3-4 weeks is leaving any goodwill and positive reputation maemo had built up over the past 2 years in absolute tatters, and at a time when there is real and credible competition appearing on the horizon.

(Hope you get over your cold soon!)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
But occasionally even a machine needs downtime. So when we do disconnect, it's hardcore.

That *may* be Quim's situation. I cannot speak for him of course, but it would make sense. I wouldn't blame him a bit.
I hope it is his situation and nothing more serious, but assuming he is still on vacation then I would have to blame him for an awful lot. I don't like to diss Quim as he appears a standup guy, but there's a concept in business called "delegation" and he should have ensured suitable cover was in place for when he isn't available, or alternatively ensured appropriate escalation procedures were in place for exactly the kind of fck ups we've experienced these past 3-4 (or even 5 now?) weeks.

It's simply not acceptable that maemo.org is rendered mute and incapable of even the most basic communication whenever Quim isn't available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
. . . Quin . . . Quin . . .
. . . the Eskimo?

Yes, I know it's two n's.