Active Topics

Closed Thread
@wicket: You are free to discuss this problem with Mer developers on the mailing list or the IRC channel. I think there are good solutions for that - to make some metapackages with bundles - default with some packages restricted to GPLv2, and optional ones where those packages will be replaced with updated versions even if they are GPLv3. So if vendors care - they'll use GPLv2 bundles. And if not - they'll use unrestricted ones. And users will be able to simply replace default ones with optional if they need to.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Interesting part : "So we’ll start with one device, which we’ll announce soon, and afterward other devices will follow."
I read that article few days ago, I didn't find that part very interesting TBH, it's nothing more than a statement of intent at this point in time, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
@wicket: You are free to discuss this problem with Mer developers on the mailing list or the IRC channel. I think there are good solutions for that - to make some metapackages with bundles - default with some packages restricted to GPLv2, and optional ones where those packages will be replaced with updated versions even if they are GPLv3. So if vendors care - they'll use GPLv2 bundles. And if not - they'll use unrestricted ones. And users will be able to simply replace default ones with optional if they need to.
As an additional, @wicket;

If you get further feedback from the mail-lists, IRC channels, or elsewhere that offers a workaround/sol'n to your concerns, please do refine the answer in the doc, or share it here.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-19 at 08:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Some very revealing stuff about Ubuntu for Mobile...
https://twitter.com/stroughtonsmith/...59604455600128
In that thread there's a link to a Phoronix article, it's worthwhile reading that & it's corresponding thread.
Personally I'm quite disappointed they've gone this route, Ubuntu's moved further down my interest list.
I still wish them well, but Sailfish's success is now even more crucial/important.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-24 at 05:06. Reason: typo

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Unfortunately when you introduce such meta-packages you introduce fragmentation in OS compatibility. If a vendor chooses to Tivoize their Sailfish product it's likely that they won't let you replace packages in the core OS. You'll have devices that allow meta-packges where your app will run but it won't run in those Tivoized devices.

Last edited by wicket; 2013-02-25 at 04:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Sailfish won't prevent you from installing other packages (they don't support DRM and any such junk). The only potential concern can be incompatibilities between these bundles. But nobody will stop you from choosing.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Sailfish won't prevent you from installing other packages (they don't support DRM and any such junk). The only potential concern can be incompatibilities between these bundles. But nobody will stop you from choosing.
The point of Tivoization is to prevent the user from replacing system software (usually firmware). If Sailfish is going to allow us to override core operating system packages then it doesn't support Tivoization. I guess the intention of the GPLv2 packages would be for other potential (non-Sailfish) Mer derivatives. Could we get some sort confirmation from Jolla that it is only Mer, not Sailfish that allows Tivoization?

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
@wicket
I think we need to be careful about how we define sailfish in the context of jolla handsets and vendor handsets.
Certainly it has been implied, if not stated categorically that Jolla intend to license Sailfish OS to device vendors, in which case, you could expect tivoisation for the whole stack with these builds.
That does not imply or suggest that Jolla devices (non vendor specific devices) will not be open to support installation of other core components.
I would assume that if this is the case, then it is up to the individual who is hacking on the device to fix anything that such mods might break in the rest of the stack, by installing new builds of Mer core components.
just my .02c (relevent state or federal taxes may apply)

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
We really need one of the mer/sailfish folk to pop in & clear some things up, sadly they're almost completely averse to having anything to do with TMO :-/
stskeeps was going to, but has now said he's too busy & trying to avoid paces like TMO, which can be a distraction (he's been sick, so lots of time was lost).

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
They are simply unlike, What can I say. They should put Stskeeps in charge of everything!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
We really need one of the mer/sailfish folk to pop in & clear some things up, sadly they're almost completely averse to having anything to do with TMO :-/
stskeeps was going to, but has now said he's too busy & trying to avoid paces like TMO, which can be a distraction (he's been sick, so lots of time was lost).
I can understand their reticence to post on a public forum. Given how much has already been misquoted or taken out of context, it's just not good drills to do it.
I would think (and hope) that Jolla would have something in store for when the SDK is released, be it a forum or some other channel for communication to ensure tight comms with the developer community who will work on application development.
I would also think that we will get all the info we need, as we need it and on their terms. That's common sense and good business practice. As a small enterprise with everything to lose, they are playing their cards very close to their chest.
On a brighter note, I'm very happy to see that they're working with Creoir as these guys have some of Nokia's greatest hardware, design and mechanical talent on board. Think, some of Nokia's most iconic design concepts and the team at Creoir were probably behind it....... in another life

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open