Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Type-C connector looks more durable to me compared to microUSB, also disconnects easily.
The main benefit of USB-C is that you can insert the cord in complete darkness pretty safely, unless you are so boozed up that you are trying to wriggle it in sideways

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
There are several options in the market so that connection ports stay healthy such as

http://www.forever.eu/accessories-li...b-cable-white/

http://www.gearbest.com/samsung-cabl...SAAEgLiL_D_BwE

https://www.banggood.com/Magnetic-Mi...iAAEgJ5pfD_BwE

They work with micro-usb, usb C and lightning connectors

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I'm more towards removable battery + separate wall charger for just the battery.
You mean something similar to this ?
So you can charge a backup battery while using the phone ?

I have bought a similar-looking device in the past. I'm very happy with this. It's also useful for camera batteries (the pogo-pins slide and can be adjusted to any battery +/- terminals).

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
But that involves back plate structures and how to deliver that, and if it affects the looking etc.
Well, that would be good for quickly switching batteries, but also to access any other useful contact.
(Probably wireless charging pogopins, as discussed above. So people can slap a Qi charger. Or whatever else charging solution)

Personnally, I don't mind if this increases the thickness by a couple mm.
End-user replaceable battery is just too much useful.

Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Type-C connector looks more durable to me compared to microUSB, also disconnects easily.
In my case, it would be interesting to know if it fall-disconnects safely :-P
(I think the busted USB on my current Jolla comes from a couple of fall while connected to charger / or to computer)
It's a shame that USB consortium didn't go for a classic flat connector like Apple's Lightning (probably Apple managed to patent reversibility on such connectors).

I miss the indestructible connector on my first ever Palm IIIc....

Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
There are several options in the market so that connection ports stay healthy such as
Yup, I was indeed thinking to acquire some magnetic quicik-snap solution.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Please, make a version with "european-style" keyboard with short left shift and the one extra button between left shift and z button.

US keyboards have one key less(101/104) than many european keyboards(102/105). Many european keymaps require this key.

People who use US keymaps can still use these european style keyboards without problems - they just have one button which does nothing.

The difference is shown here:

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hkultala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Maybe I've missed everything, but I'm starting to doubt if a TMO thread is a good way of discussing all the things.

I raised two important subjects: a glass/plastic screen and a notification LED, which received barely no attention. Especially - no reply from chenliangchen.

It looks to me that other important subjects, like the hwkb layout are so much discussed that they smother any other subjects.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Maybe I've missed everything, but I'm starting to doubt if a TMO thread is a good way of discussing all the things.

I raised two important subjects: a glass/plastic screen and a notification LED, which received barely no attention. Especially - no reply from chenliangchen.

It looks to me that other important subjects, like the hwkb layout are so much discussed that they smother any other subjects.
I am very sorry that I might have overlooked your questions. You have my apologies. It's getting very tough with the Keyboard Mod recently...

For your questions:

Screen will be glass. I'm not considering plastic at the moment, it will ruin the premium feeling which I am trying to build with this device.

Plastic doesn't break, but it scratches too easily and feels really cheap. I wish I could use Moto's shatter proof screen though.

What we can do is to have a "first party" glass protector that can be purchased with it. And it can do some protections.

Regarding LED light, that's part of the work we are doing at the moment. It depends on the solution we based on. Will update to you at a later stage. (I am trying to put one on it)

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
would the light be RGB?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Really hope you can find a way to add this LED, with a non-AMOLED screen it's really a game changer. I can't imagine how many times it has proven useful and how many unnecessary unlocks it has saved me on the N900 and Jolla, and even the monochrome LED of the Jolla C is very useful (but not as much as a RGB). It's funny how such a small and inexpensive thing (but I understand that implementing it and finding the space in the bezel is not so easy) can be so useful and yet striped off many phones nowadays.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Really hope you can find a way to add this LED, with a non-AMOLED screen it's really a game changer. I can't imagine how many times it has proven useful and how many unnecessary unlocks it has saved me on the N900 and Jolla, and even the monochrome LED of the Jolla C is very useful (but not as much as a RGB). It's funny how such a small and inexpensive thing (but I understand that implementing it and finding the space in the bezel is not so easy) can be so useful and yet striped off many phones nowadays.
The RGB light itself is cheap, the difficulty is to wire it on the already made board. And also integrate with structure. I'm aware of this importance.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
did you consider using an oled-display?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen