Active Topics

Notices

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
following, an early idea regarding the position marker readability i would like to discuss.

Is it technically possible to split the direction and position marker while in (angled) navigation view?
Currently, the position_direction.svg is a flat image containing the position.svg circles and the added direction "arrow" on top.

For more "artistic freedom" while designing around the position marker, i came up with the idea to thin out the current position_direction.svg to only contain the arrow. We then could handle this arrow like before so it follows/shows the route direction.

The marker itself without the arrow could then be designed angled itself and displayed as it is, unangled below the now separate arrow. Some ideas i threw together:

Now to better visualize, some mockup

My questions, is it worth to dig deeper?
And technically, while in angled map view, can we display an image unangled below the modified position_direction.svg?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@mosen, interesting ideas. Yes, it is possible to split a single symbol into several and show them together. It will require some fiddling not to cancel each other, but it should be possible.

But, to have such 3D objects as a position markers, we will have to make a proper 3D model (whatever that means) and then use "extrusions" (https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gl-js/.../3d-buildings/) to construct it on a map, select correct lightning and its position. Having just a 2D mockup will have an issue with the respect of the tilt angle that would have to be matched. Don't forget we have animations going from no tilt to tilt and vice versa. From the other POV, 3D object as a position marker is somewhat an overkill for J1 and lower end devices. But maybe I am wrong and its all simple to render for the hardware.

So, here are some thoughts regarding it...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Its not too difficult to redraw them in blender.
Where can i find out which file format mapbox could make use of?

Otoh, watching at the transition animation, it is rather short. The effort to integrate a real 3d model would be kind of big compared to the gain imo.
If it was only me i would favour to keep everything as it is until the correct map tilt angle is reached, then fade/blend the 2d marker to the split 3d mockup.
I attached the svg if you or someone else wants to play around.

But as stated, if it is only about creating the 3d model, i could do it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip marker_mosen.zip (13.5 KB, 20 views)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
@mosen, a really nice idea, IMO.

Further brainstorming:
  • The length of the arrow portion may indicate the speed at that point (in addition to the direction).
  • There may be multiple "map marker icon sets" to choose from.
    For example, one indicating the speed by stretching the arrow's pointy tip, another one doing that by adding segments or marks to the arrow (as the wind-speed is indicated on a wind-rose is usually indicated).

Last edited by olf; 2019-01-03 at 22:33.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Looks like we can use .gltf models. Correct?
Is the html implemetation somehow useful as an example to draw conclusions from?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Would it be relevant to add a "Allow tolls" checkbox in the "Navigation" page?

I know there is already a submenu to allow or filter them out, but in fact having this option as a submenu at the very bottom of the page always makes me forget to set up. And to be honest, I also am kind of reluctant about ever changing it because my preference really depends on the trip, and I wouldn't want to start a long trip and then realize later that I forgot to re-allow tolls after a previous trip and am now engaged on a route that is going to take 1 or 2 extra hours. Therefore, I always leave it on, and today Pure Maps led me to a highway with a toll for a 5 km trip (yeah, I know, I should know my way and see it coming if my GPS is sending me to the highway in my neighbourhood, but hey, I'm bad with roads ).

Maybe it's me misusing it, but a checkbox would make the option visible without entering a submenu or scrolling down, which would remove the fear of leaving the option in the wrong setting for the next trip. I know it's already visible, but it's just not the same convenience for me and I always overlook it. It could be several checkboxes aligned horizontally, to keep the 3 current options instead of a simple binary choice, and it could come up where the language option currently is since I think that one does not need to be changed or checked very often (and even if set wrong, it won't alter the trip). Would the following order make sense to you?
Navigation page title
## From
# To - On the right hand side, there could be a double-arrow icon to invert From/To instead of the option in the Pulley menu

Type subcategory title
# Select type list (what is a VMO by the way?)
Alternatively, perhaps unicode characters would work here to skip the list menu again and just show all possible choices horizontally, but it may be hard to easily distinguish bus and public transportation:
🚗 🚲 🚌 🚂 🚆 🚶 🏍 🛵
Note that, if Pure Maps allows combining several vehicle types in the future (like bike + bus + train), this alternative to the list would easily work with multi-selection.

Routing options subcategory title
# Prefer the shortest itinerary checkbox
# Tolls: Allow - Avoid (checkboxes, or buttons, or a slider, or just the two keywords and bold font for the active one; but both could be accessed without entering into a list view); not selecting any would be the same as the current "No preference (default)"
# Highways: Avoid - Prefer | Icon on the right side of the screen to force the selected setting (this way it's not necessary to have 5 independent choices)
# Ferrys: Avoid - Prefer | Force this choice icon

General
# Language selection
I know it's not very sexy as I present it here, but I'm just throwing an idea that has to be improved. I love Pure Maps and use it all the time, but I have trouble with the current list submenus because they require extra taps or force reading in situations where it's not so easy (like when waiting on the roadside), but maybe I'm the only one and if that's the case, sorry for the noise!

[Edit] Maybe a simpler workaround would be to add some options in the general Pure Maps settings to let the user define if Tolls/Highways/Ferrys options set in the Navigation page should be persistent between trips or reset at each new trip (and, in the latter case, the user should be able to choose what is the default for every new trip).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2019-01-04 at 02:28.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Looks like we can use .gltf models. Correct?
Is the html implemetation somehow useful as an example to draw conclusions from?
Thinking about 3D position marker and after looking around - maybe we should limit the marker to 2D and single object for now (i.e. artistic choice). I can formulate the reasons behind it later tonight, after work, but it boils down to simplicity and avoiding hacks in the end. We could reconsider it when 3D support for the marker will be available (such as levitation, for example), unless I missed it.

But, regardless to 2D restriction, marker has to be redesigned to get better contrast with the surroundings (route line and the map). So, its great that you raised this!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Challenge accepted

Disclaimer, following looks like more work than it actually was. I had the script laying around from Asteroid wallpaper voting. Feel free to criticise anything you see on what ever level you may want. Also this might look somewhat definite (from the scoring), it is not. I only want to throw out some humble ideas to maybe sort out where to head with the design and invoke ideas on your all sides to discuss.

If someone else wants to contribute or maybe we should integrate the existing alternative position markers from qml/icon folder to vote for?
Let's collect designs for some voting rounds.

Without further a do, here are some variations of the marker. Each side by side with a bestcase and worstcase overlay on the map.

The 5 rating stars are halved, so the score ranges from 1 to 10. Your ip is logged in a txt file for 24hours, else all is anonymous. Yes, you could vote multiple times form different IPs or after 24 hours from the same, but why would you?

https://mosushi.de/misc/puremaps/marker-rating/

SVGs attached to this post for you to play with
Attached Files
File Type: zip position-direction-mosen.zip (17.6 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by mosen; 2019-01-05 at 00:29.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@Kabouik, sorry for late reply.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will get at some point to the navigation page. Right now I copied your suggestions into issue https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps/issues/139 to keep it in front of my eyes.

These options (like tolls) have usually 5 choices, as designed by Valhalla. I have reduced it in some places to 3, but maybe it does make sense to reduce them even further. And surely your feedback makes a lot of sense, I will get to that.

@mosen - thanks and very entertaining selection of icons

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Looks like many of us traveled a lot lately. I may have to pause the key for Mapbox in January already. Now published the warning at TJC as well, let's see if it helps. I suspect that the main registration will start after the key is pulled...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: