Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
excellent, thanks for the heaps up on the new version for OS2008

-Rip

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
i have noticed that my POI's have been affected by one of the recent updates. i have the newest (2.1) version and the POI's are placed correctly on the map, but when i view/edit the POI, the longitude and latitude are all 0's.

to the command prompt, boy wonder...

a select * from poi; shows all of the POIs and their relevant data and attributes. i do notice that the long and lat fields are very long numbers.

example: a hostel that i stayed at a few years back

lat - 48.1609191894531
long - 11.5581817626953

might there be too many significant figures? just a thought...

now i thought that since i had the display in Heading-Deg-Mins-Secs format, there was a conversion issue and by default it zeroed the entry. that doesnt seem to be the case as i switched to dd.ddddd format and the POI's still have all zeros in the long/lat fields.

is there any way to clear this up?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
I upgraded to 2.1 and I cant seem to get mapper to connect to the gps now. I use a BT?? gps receiver with N700 os2007he. Yes it has been working. I usually shut it off and turn it back on, but this time not matter what I tried I cannot get the two to talk. The bluetooth receiver is visible on the device so that's not the problem. Any suggestions?

BTW - this is a great software and I'm really devistated right now not be able to use it.

Originally Posted by brendan View Post
i have noticed that my POI's have been affected by one of the recent updates. i have the newest (2.1) version and the POI's are placed correctly on the map, but when i view/edit the POI, the longitude and latitude are all 0's.

a select * from poi; shows all of the POIs and their relevant data and attributes. i do notice that the long and lat fields are very long numbers.

lat - 48.1609191894531
long - 11.5581817626953

now i thought that since i had the display in Heading-Deg-Mins-Secs format, there was a conversion issue and by default it zeroed the entry. that doesnt seem to be the case as i switched to dd.ddddd format and the POI's still have all zeros in the long/lat fields.

This bug should have been fixed in 2.1.1. Please upgrade to 2.1.1 and confirm that you still experience the bug.

Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
I upgraded to 2.1 and I cant seem to get mapper to connect to the gps now. I use a BT?? gps receiver with N700 os2007he. Yes it has been working. I usually shut it off and turn it back on, but this time not matter what I tried I cannot get the two to talk. The bluetooth receiver is visible on the device so that's not the problem. Any suggestions?
A few, to be tried independently in no particular order, but before I mention them, I should admit that I accidentally introduced a bug in v2.1 (or v2.1.1) that eliminates the "Establishing GPS Fix" window completely. So, Maemo Mapper will show "Connecting to GPS Receiver" while it is connecting to the GPS receiver and also after it has connected to the GPS receiver, while the receiver is establishing a fix, up until the point where the receiver has a fix. So, make sure you're not being bitten by this bug. As for my suggestions....

First, try playing with the new BT pairing features that OS2007 offers. I don't know how well they work on the 770, but try pairing and/or unpairing your BT receiver to see if that helps Maemo Mapper to see your receiver. Sometimes it works better when paired, sometimes it works better when unpaired....

Second, try the "Bluetooth" option in Maemo Mapper's Settings, both with and without filling in a MAC address. When the MAC address field is empty, Maemo Mapper tries to find a GPS receiver on its own - it may have better success than if you specify the MAC address manually. Or, it may not.

Third, try using rfcomm to connect your GPS receiver outside of Maemo Mapper, then use the rfcomm device path (something like "/dev/rfcomm0") in the "File Path" option in Maemo Mapper's Settings. If the "File Path" option doesn't work, try starting GPSD outside of Maemo Mapper and connecting to it directly. If you are using Maemo Mapper v2.1, then gpsd is installed with Maemo Mapper, so in an xterm, run the following command:
Code:
/usr/sbin/gpsd -n -N -F /tmp/.my_ctrl_sock /dev/rfcomm0
(Replace "/dev/rfcomm0" with whichever rfcomm device you created using rfcomm.) Once you've started GPSD, use the "GPSD Host" option in Maemo Mapper's Settings, and specify the host "127.0.0.1" or "localhost". This will force Maemo Mapper to use the GPSD server that you started separately.

Good luck, and please share your findings in the thread.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
I found some time to update the preliminary OS2008 port to version 2.1.1 today, the package and the patches are available under http://people.debian.org/~tschmidt/m.../maemo-mapper/ as usual.

My suggestion to OS2008-users is to stick with version 2.0.5chinook5 from my page, because of the GPS-related problems described in the last posts.
(The only way i can use GPS with maemo-mapper 2.1.1 on my N800 in an easy way is to activate gpsd with the wayfinder app or with the gps control panel applet and setting up maemo-mapper to use the gpsd on localhost, port 2947.

@Gnuite: Regarding the patches: I had to revert the check for libgdbm to the way it was done in mm 2.0.5 because otherwise libgdbm was not found.
Another other issue was that MSGFMT and GMSGFMT variables were empty, so it was not possible to build the locales (i did specify them with AC_PATH_PROG as a workaround).
The most noticable difference to the previous port is that i disabled displaying of the stopwatch because i was not able to fix the problem with it not being showed correctly.

Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
The most noticable difference to the previous port is that i disabled displaying of the stopwatch because i was not able to fix the problem with it not being showed correctly.
I have a version running on OS2008 now, and I noticed that problem, too. But I figured out the cause: Nokia changed the icon itself from the hourglass to the diagonal lines. So, it's actually working as expected, although I don't agree with their change.

I've solved the problem by distributing the hourglass directly with Maemo Mapper, so Nokia can't just change it beneath me without notice.

Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
My suggestion to OS2008-users is to stick with version 2.0.5chinook5 from my page, because of the GPS-related problems described in the last posts.
(The only way i can use GPS with maemo-mapper 2.1.1 on my N800 in an easy way is to activate gpsd with the wayfinder app or with the gps control panel applet and setting up maemo-mapper to use the gpsd on localhost, port 2947.
I've fixed these problems in my own OS2008-compatible build, by the way. It will probably be released today or tomorrow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by brendan View Post

lat - 48.1609191894531
long - 11.5581817626953

forgot to mention... with the above issue, i cannot click and hold on a POI, select POI and then Download Route to...

each time i try this, i get destination that is clearly not the right one. the longitude is always -0.000008.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
I have a version running on OS2008 now, and I noticed that problem, too. But I figured out the cause: Nokia changed the icon itself from the hourglass to the diagonal lines. So, it's actually working as expected, although I don't agree with their change.
Ok, stupid me, just checked that the file still exists, did not check the actual content of the file.