Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
So I guess we could use xbindkeys and xmacro (as in this article) to replace some key combination (which one?) with F5. Is there any way to do this with the utilities already installed in Easy Debian? How about using xvkbd to emit F5 instead?

EDIT: Ok, so using the following in the ~/.xbindkeysrc file (as the command to be triggered) toggles the Navigator on/off:

"xvkbd -xsendevent -text '\[F5]'"

Last edited by qole; 2010-01-25 at 22:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by arkanoid View Post
OOo is almost usable now! The only significat drawbacks is there is no way to switch to national keyboard layout :-( and the cosmetic problem is too many toolbars and "print" view as default which is not handy..
When I start OOo by debbie, I do have my national (German) keyboard lay-out and the special characters (umlauts, etc.) are displayed. For OOo in LXDE, I need "@setxkbmap de" in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart to switch the keyboard to a German (de) lay-out.

What I'm missing is extra special characters. Unfortunately, xvkbd doesn't work for me. Pressing a character repeats it indefinitely, and combining keys there would be anyway difficult. My workaround is xmodmap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by rebhana View Post
Unfortunately, xvkbd doesn't work for me. Pressing a character repeats it indefinitely
Someone discovered that you have to go to the xvkbd menu (bottom left of keyboard), choose "Property", and set "Automatic Click" to "OFF".

Another one to add to the wiki...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Should I have a popup window that tells the user what key combinations have been enabled? Would that make the hack clearer?
That would be nice indeed to display the programmed key-settings!

--denis

Someone discovered that you have to go to the xvkbd menu (bottom left of keyboard), choose "Property", and set "Automatic Click" to "OFF".

Another one to add to the wiki...
Yes, that's it... recognizing that this had become a problem, the latest version 3.1 of vxkbd has "Automatic. Click" set to OFF. I also turned OFF the setting "KeyClick Sound"... but I don't think this gave any problems.

The other tidbit about xvkbd for foreign-language users is that the default instal of xvkbd is lacking the requisite foreign layout files installed in /etc/X11/app-defaults. If you wish I could send you a tar of those files for you to post on qole.org.

--denis

The Following User Says Thank You to delaroca For This Useful Post:
delaroca: the foreign layout files for xvkbd are not in a package in the debian repos? Bad form, Debian.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
If someone can tell me what key or key combination closes the navigator window on a desktop computer (one of the key combos on the N8x0 used to toggle the navigator window, so I think it is a Function key), I'll add that to the HW Keys hack, so it can be triggered by a key combo on the N900.
yes it's F5. But...

in a more general way, we need to be able to issue some key combos / signals that could be useful for all the debian programs, when called either from lxde and for maemo:

1) Esc
2) "close this window" command to the window manager
3) F1, F2, F3 etc.
4) Alt key (why not)
5) ...

I'm thinking of a key combo which opens a window where you can choose a key sequence or command to be sent to the foreground window.

What do you people think?

debernardis: I'll gladly map lots of keys, but the problem really is... what do we map them to?! It seems like every Ctrl and Fn key on the keyboard is overloaded already, especially for languages with lots of special characters.

And the modifiers aren't "sticky" in Debian, so we'd have to hold down Ctrl and Fn or Ctrl and Shift at the same time (plus a third key) to get more exotic keys. That is VERY tricky for me.

But I'm really missing the Esc key, that's for sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Yes I agree, and this is the reason I propose an external app. This would solve the problem of overloaded keyboard. Imagine you long press the camera key and a window opens, that allows you to issue Esc, or F1,2,n, or issue a close command to the window manager.
Better yet, this could be an extension to the already used Ctrl-Sym key combination which brings on the extended charset.

BTW could it be possible to add Esc to that charset? I'll dig into that now

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
OK it's not so difficult.
I have mapped the Escape key to shift-backspace, by editing
Code:
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51
as root of course, and changing the line
Code:
key <BKSP>  { [     BackSpace       ] };
to
Code:
key <BKSP>  { [     BackSpace,      Escape,            BackSpace,      BackSpace       ] };
then issuing
Code:
setxkbmap
Now shift-backspace lets me out of the color chooser and the navigator (openoffice called in maemo windows manager)

Thanks to you and you

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-01-26 at 06:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze