Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I can see a few ways of representing this:
  • big fullscreen arrow and distance (like in AGTL)
  • a widget version with small arrow and distance, placeable on the map screen (I really have to finally rewamp the widgets to a usable state )
  • an arrow pointing from the current position indicator (TangoGPS does it like this)
  • just drawing a long line from current position to a given point
  • or maybe drawing your own route on the map (might be also useful to send to others) ?
The first would probably be least cpu /battery intensive, the second rather more good looking but expensive, not so? So maybe the second with option to blank map. The last option is VERY nice.

One thing with your current POI - IMO it would be best to be able to save one's own POI in gpx (waypoint) format, so that they are transferable easily to other systems. In essence, this view embraces the "tensions" between requirements of road navigation vs free hiking nav.

Thanks - at the risk of being twee, you doubtless are among the most responsive, positive and informative of the devs on these forums.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Otherwise if you start navigation from a moving vehicle, you almost always miss the first point, the distance keeps growing, and you never get directions - a navigational nightmare :O)
Also, modrana should really save the routing if it's closed without the routing being cleared.

It happened as I was driving that it must've segfaulted or something, but closed. Then upon reopen, the navigation should be there right away, as is standard in nav software, rather than having to again select where to navigate etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
is there anyway to disable the two boxes relating to tracks in Car Mode eg "Activate a track to show time to start" etc I dont use tracks for each journey and they take up a bit too much of my screen realty.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by janszoon View Post
is there anyway to disable the two boxes relating to tracks in Car Mode eg "Activate a track to show time to start" etc I dont use tracks for each journey and they take up a bit too much of my screen realty.
Edit file:
/opt/modrana/user_config.conf

Comment with ## some lines like below:
[car]

[[OSD]]

[[[time]]]
px=0.82
py=0.05
font_size=50
align=right
## [[[time to start]]]
## px=0.93
## py=0.23
## font_size=20
## align=right

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Edit file:
/opt/modrana/user_config.conf

Comment with ## some lines like below:
[car]

[[OSD]]

[[[time]]]
px=0.82
py=0.05
font_size=50
align=right
## [[[time to start]]]
## px=0.93
## py=0.23
## font_size=20
## align=right
Question on this:
When the program is updated, does the user_conf reset or remain?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Question on this:
I don't know, but it should be only read, not written, by the program, i.e. remain, not reset.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
You're not gonna believe this, I found the problem.

It was /usr/lib/locale

I've installed locales which is not installed by default, but for boot the old pre-locales-install content is needed, so I bindmount the folder after boot.

Turns out I messed up somehow sometime and had the bindmounted /usr/lib/locale empty and for this reason it was cycling forever with the Russian routing, but for some reason working with Czech.

Anyhow, I've restored contents of the /usr/lib/locale dir properly and now it's working.

Ugh... Thanks for help.

Anyhow, please still implement if you can the Cyrillic identification and substitution, as continuous `letter A 6 7 5...' is not too great :O)
Glad to hear that you have found the root cause I've managed to successfully implement the Cyrillic detection I mentioned earlier, it is already in the recently released version 0.19-1, so you can test it right away

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
When it went to install it pulled in an extra dependency, which was quite large. Apparently espeak has an "extra languages" pack, which modRana thinks it needs now, even if you're not using it for routing in those languages. I like that it can use Russian and Chinese, but can we make that a "suggested" package, instead of a required one? I can ignore suggested packages, but to ignore required ones requires I hack the deb file, which I dislike doing (but did, for this version. I know, it's "only" 6 or 7 megabytes, but that's a good amount of space, even if it is optified.
OK, I'll look into this. BTW, any Idea how HAM or fapman handle suggested packages ?

That would explain all the boxes I'm seeing? Something busted after I tried to load an older track file, and everything after that, the text was just little boxes. Exiting and restarting it fixed it for now, but I still can't load that track. (It's just a route from google, so I can re-get it.... but I'm holding on to it for now since it reproduces the problem.)
If this still persists, could you send me some logs and/or the route ?

Awesome. I've been able to grab a large number of tiles now without reboots or issues, and have synced the areas I wanted over night finally. This definitely points to GPS being a bit part of the problem on my device. (It's something lots of folks are seeing now with PR1.3.)
Are there any Maemo bugs for this yet ?

I'll try generating a few and will PM you with what I find, again, probably shortly after Thanksgiving.
OK, thanks !

I'm hoping to start work on this right after Thanksgiving. I should have a lot more free time right after that, and can get a version out at least that can draw PNG tiles I hope.
I'm sure we can find something that takes the vector data and does routing. Once tile production is working, sure... looking at some of those could be nice. I'm quite sure it's doable, as my old Magellan could pull it off in 10 seconds or so on a 300Mhz Arm5 with 256K of ram. It's just the effort of finding the right tools, getting them on the N900 and patching them in. The interface and data massaging is usually the hard part.
That sounds promising

Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
Am I the only one with the black-font-on-black-background problem in the dialog windows? I really like Modrana's UI design, but when I can't see the text of the destination I'm entering, it kind of defeats the purpose...
Originally Posted by gkuenning View Post
Doubtful. I'm using the default theme, except I changed the background to the Milky Way. No other program has the problem (and I've installed a LOT of stuff).
I have added a ticket for this issue. I'll look if it's possible to force some background color for the edit box.

Is there something that affects negatively routing on the other side of the globe?

I mean, I tried to pick the farthest away place, so I could theoretically route at home, if I'd know where I'd be going, and then look at the route map, so that it'd download tiles at home. So then, when you're abroad, you don't have to access the web, at least to download tiles...

So, I can do this now, for instance picking two points in Prague, as I'm not there, it routes great.

Then, I tried to do the same for Hawaii, it tries to get the results from google, says it's 12000 km away, but then it just never calculates the route... Left it for a couple of minutes, and every time I touch the display it says it's getting the route details...

Is there maybe some glitch, as it says 12000 km, which it shouldn't, should it, so that it's still maybe somehow calculating how to start the navigation from the closest position, and that being in Russia, 12000 km away, takes forever?
This should be fixed in 0.19-1, it was caused by an unhandled no-route-found exception crashing the routing.
BTW, I'am using Prague-Sevastopol for testing long roads, its nice 16 days by foot

Ad: Routing not starting correctly when moving

Yes, this is known and I'am going to look on it. There are a few possibilities:
  • check the next point according to current direction of movement
  • after receiving the route, test if the distance to the next step actually decrees, if not -> skip to next step
  • use the above mentioned method above some minimal speed, so there are not too many false positives
Any ideas for some other heuristics for finding which turns are actually past and which next ?

Also, I've got an idea for a quick manual solution:
I can map the N900 volume rocker to switch to the last/next turn (and do this only while modRana is in full-screen and navigating, to minimize collisions with other uses for the volume control key).

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
Have not opened it in a long time, looks much improved. Is there (I did not see it) and option to close internet connection upon modrana close? as it is now it opens a connection (what I want) but if I am driving I for sure don't want the internet connection if I decide to close modrana for the duration of the drive (and yes I have autodisconnect but I'm talking about an immediate close).
This looks doable Basically:
  • add a "remember and restore connection state" option
  • modRana check if there is a network connection on startup and remembers the result
  • if there was no connection on startup, modRana will disconnect the connection on shutdown

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the 'screen on' options added in latest version very cool !!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to janszoon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
One thing with your current POI - IMO it would be best to be able to save one's own POI in gpx (waypoint) format, so that they are transferable easily to other systems. In essence, this view embraces the "tensions" between requirements of road navigation vs free hiking nav.
Definitely doable as modRana already handles GPX import/export for tracklogs.
Just:
  • adding a new button to the POI tools menu
  • this button launches a folder chooser dialog
  • POI is exported to the selected folder
  • done

BTW, I have thought about how to store directions...
The directions are basically just a monstrous nested dictionary, so I'll just serialize them to file with using pickle without stuffing them inside the GPX file as previously planed. It's just so much easier to do like this

Also, modrana should really save the routing if it's closed without the routing being cleared.

It happened as I was driving that it must've segfaulted or something, but closed. Then upon reopen, the navigation should be there right away, as is standard in nav software, rather than having to again select where to navigate etc.
Good point, I can just dump the route to a file each time after routing and then check at startup if this file exists. If it does, modRana would then ask if you want to restart navigation on it.
[/URL]

Question on this:
According to Woody:
If user changes happen, the app manager will make a backup and then replace it with the package contents by default. apt-get will prompt and ask what to do.

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
I don't know, but it should be only read, not written, by the program, i.e. remain, not reset.
Yes, modRana currently only reads this config file. But when the interactive widgets configuration is implemented, it might be also written into.

BTW, looks like the thread already has over 33 thousand views

Last edited by MartinK; 2010-11-27 at 19:02. Reason: add a subtle meme

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
BTW, looks like the thread already has over 33 thousand views
Yes, quality tends to attract.......

Re the Waypoint/POI issue: and make it so that multiple POIs can be selected for export....?

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps