Poll: Have you successfully installed Nitdroid by now?
Poll Options
Have you successfully installed Nitdroid by now?

Originally Posted by ammyt View Post
Oh and in other news:
Good audio quality during calls now achieved thanks to new libaudio. Microphone audio rooting still broken.
Broken as in bad sound or broken as in no sound?

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
Broken as in bad sound or broken as in no sound?
The latter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Ammyt,

You're mixing some things here. The last points I made were not, repeat, not complaints. As I stated before, I wanted to have a somewhat stable running Android on my N900 in order to get to know the OS better. What I have now suffices.

Any improvements on this are luxuries as I have no need for phone and text functions. The points 1 to 4 that I made are improvements I'd like to do but they are not necessities. So, yes I know about the current state of 2.3.7 and no, I don't need a reading class for that. Thank you.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Musta susi View Post
A little though:
I wanna use both partitions of MyDocs and microSD card (27GB+29). Am I able to do so? I could only figure out how to switch between each other, but I want as much memory as in Maemo. Is it possible?
Does anybody know how to sort this thing out? Help please!

I just discovered a fix for the problem of the sdcard not being mounted in NITDroid ICS or 2.3.7 after installing on a new partition, it is a simple symlinking issue.
Basically, open a file manager and you should find a folder called "sdcard", delete it. Then, using what ever way you like, add a symlink of /system/bin/sdcard to the location where you deleted the sdcard folder.
In other words. replace the sdcard folder with a symlink from /system/bin/sdcard.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
I personally do this using terminal emulator, but programs such as Filebox in Maemo or Root Explorer in Android offer adding symlinks and more.

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Ammyt,

You're mixing some things here. The last points I made were not, repeat, not complaints. As I stated before, I wanted to have a somewhat stable running Android on my N900 in order to get to know the OS better. What I have now suffices.

Any improvements on this are luxuries as I have no need for phone and text functions. The points 1 to 4 that I made are improvements I'd like to do but they are not necessities. So, yes I know about the current state of 2.3.7 and no, I don't need a reading class for that. Thank you.
Your post just indicates that you read the only first line of my post a page ago, I hate that!
-You said you needed to modify power.conf, and that I said nonsense by not knowing what frequencies your device can handle, well what do you know, it is answered in the WIKI
-WTH does texting and voice support have to do with our "lovely" conversation, don't drift away.
-Just admit that you're wrong already.

Anyhow, I'm glad that things worked out for you
Wonder what our conversation would be when you attempt to install ICS :P

[QUOTE=jecargo22;1145160]
Originally Posted by pablocrossa View Post
Try what I said before

Thank you, yeah, I considered your post before, I was just hoping someone with better knowledge than mine to try first and to elaborate more of how to proceed.
I will dig a bit deeper around your suggestion, bearing in mind that I have limited expertise in these matters, but /i have a very curious mind, and I would love to push n900 to its limits and ics might be the top benchmark it could still beat (as we already see how beautifully performance has improved with maemo and cssu, easydeb et al.).
Selfishly speaking (for n900ers), now e-yes is targetting to port nitdroid to n9, so we might have to wait a bit longer to get a fully functional n14package in n900. But yeah, it is worth the effort.
Any hints of how to make sdcard mountable in ICS? Should this be fixed if i try to install nitdroid on the external class 10 MicroSD card? or does it sounds like an unrelated matter?
Ok let me try to develop this idea further, we are all here to help and learn Of course this might not work, it is only a test

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7NJ6NRMI

1) Download the file from the link above (too big to attach, can a mod do it??)
2) Extract it in your N900, put it in the MyDocs folder
3) Open Terminal
4) "sudo mkdir /and"
5) "sudo mount /home /and"
6) "sudo cp /home/user/MyDocs/su /and/system/bin/su"
7) "sudo chmod 755 /and/system/bin/su"
7a) "sudo chown root /and/system/bin/su"
8) "sudo cp /home/user/MyDocs/busybox /and/system/xbin/busybox"
9) "sudo chmod 755 /and/system/xbin/busybox"
9a) "sudo chown root /and/system/xbin/busybox"
10) "rm /and/system/xbin/su" (ignore any error on this command)
11) "ln -s /and/system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
12) "cp /home/user/MyDocs/Superuser.apk /and/system/app/"
13) Boot into Nitdroid
14) Open the terminal (IN NITDROID)
15) "su"
15b) "/system/xbin/busybox mount -o remount,rw /system"
16) "/system/xbin/busybox --install -s /system/xbin"

I believe that should do it, that was a tough one hehe, basically you are exploiting root on Maemo to give root to Nitdroid, you are manually rooting it. Have fun, give it a shot and tell me how it goes, this is based on an exploit for Gingerbread but it should work

HAVE FUN

EDIT: Just a final reminder, come back with any problems or "IT WORKS!!" feedback because I have not tried this, do not use Android a lot

EDIT2: Actually that last command will not work, you need to do one last thing before, updated instructions above as 15b

EDIT3: Sorry, I remembered you maybe need to change ownership, updated just in case with 7a and 9a, they might not be necessary. Maybe the chown has to be done from android but that is hard without su, the owner would be root.shell

Last edited by pablocrossa; 2012-01-04 at 15:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:
I should collect all of these fixes and add them to the next installer, which I am working on now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Musta susi View Post
Does anybody know how to sort this thing out? Help please!
Let me get this right, you want to "combine", if you will, two partitions to act as a single one so you can have 40something gigabytes of free space??
There are some methods, but all are pretty rough

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pablocrossa For This Useful Post:

Tags
community win, mor*nicindians, nitdroid