Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
OK, probably a stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer by searching.When I first installed KDE, launched it and everything worked great. When I logged out and went back to the stock UI, everything worked great. However, upon rebooting the N810 and launching KDE, I no longer have sound in KDE. When I log back out to the stock UI, I have no sound either. When I reboot the device, my sound is restored, but when I launch KDE, it's gone again. Any suggestions? Also, I can't seem to play videos in KDE, but I have only tried with the N810 avi that is on the device.
Sounds like its muted in KDE. Switching back to hildon is known issue to lose your sound. Easily resolved by not switching back to hildon

If you dont have it muted I am not sure.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

So I am guessing then that we have lost the capability of loading media to the unit from our PC?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Wow, now I wanna get a large sd to try it out, amazing work penguinbait!

About sound, in my experiences, sound in hildon is done via esd. Does kde do anything with esd?

Also, with the deb method, when you run it by applications, does it run on "top" of hildon and can you use bootmenu to boot it "seperatly", independent of hildon?

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-04-18 at 19:18.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Wow, now I wanna get a large sd to try it out, amazing work penguinbait!

About sound, in my experiences, sound in hildon is done via esd. Does kde do anything with esd?

Also, with the deb method, when you run it by applications, does it run on "top" of hildon and can you use bootmenu to boot it "seperatly", independent of hildon?

KDE also uses same esd...

KDE installs a icon in the extras menu (KDE) Pressing this will stop maemo/hildon and start KDE.

You could hack and make KDE on boot, I chose not to include it in these last versions.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Hi penguinbait,

I do not know if my question is valid, but whenever I connect my N800 to my PC, it says that the card is busy. Do we forfeit this ability when we install KDE?

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Sounds like its muted in KDE. Switching back to hildon is known issue to lose your sound. Easily resolved by not switching back to hildon

If you dont have it muted I am not sure.
No, it's not muted. I'll have to play around with it some more and see if I've screwed some setting up. On a side note, the sound, when it worked, did seem a lot better in KDE than hildon. Is that my imagination or is there an improvement in KDE?

Thanks for the response.

Hmm, trying to install it on my mmcboot so I have both KDE358v2.tar.bz2 and the SUP file at my / directory. But whenever I type in the command "tar zxvf KDE(rest of file name) it just says "tar invalid gzip magic".

I do have Gzipmagic installed, do I need to install tar as well from your site PenguinBait?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Montreal
This is absolutely wonderful, penguinbait.

No really, this is great: I count the days without touching my ol' big computer... it's been a while! As we get to spend more time outside, with the warmer season, we realize how great it is to have a complete OS in our pocket.

Now the problem I want to solve is...

Word completion in Kword. I activated it. It shows in tooltip boxes the words I want to type. But no matter what keystroke I choose to activate these word suggestions, I get nothing, except, the key I stroke... (enter, space, right arrow, etc.).

Understanding and solving this problem would really make a major difference, as most of us (as far as I can see) prefer using the stylus, as opposed to the BT keyboard.

By the way, did anyone realize how quick one can be by making the onscreen keyboard as small as, say, 3/4 of an inch? If, on top of this, I get Word completion in Kword, I'll say goodbye to keyboards for good.

But, really, thanks!!

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by ynnek63 View Post
No, it's not muted. I'll have to play around with it some more and see if I've screwed some setting up. On a side note, the sound, when it worked, did seem a lot better in KDE than hildon. Is that my imagination or is there an improvement in KDE?

Thanks for the response.
I think you need to adjust your "Output - Line" setting in KMix. I too have noticed that sporatically the volume in KDE will disappear. I haven't been able to find the pattern though.

And yes, I do believe the sound in KDE is better - mainly because it's louder and the user can control both input and output volumes.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by Perig View Post
Word completion in Kword. I activated it. It shows in tooltip boxes the words I want to type. But no matter what keystroke I choose to activate these word suggestions, I get nothing, except, the key I stroke... (enter, space, right arrow, etc.).

Understanding and solving this problem would really make a major difference, as most of us (as far as I can see) prefer using the stylus, as opposed to the BT keyboard.
Not sure what this would be on the N800 but on the N810 the word in the tool box will be completed if you press the Center Select button on the D-pad.

The Following User Says Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:

Tags
deprecated, kde, kde35, koffice