Notices

I apologise if there is already a thread for this but I have just signed up and cannot find what I am looking for.

I have recently updated to PR1.3 which was successful although my desktop freezes several times each day now and although the desktops will allow me to flick between them, I am unable to use any of the widgets?

The only way to get the phone to function is to restart it. Any ideas?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by phillip.j.oliver View Post
I apologise if there is already a thread for this but I have just signed up and cannot find what I am looking for.

I have recently updated to PR1.3 which was successful although my desktop freezes several times each day now and although the desktops will allow me to flick between them, I am unable to use any of the widgets?

The only way to get the phone to function is to restart it. Any ideas?
What widgets are you using?
Install 'Conky' from the repositories (using app manager) and have a look at how much CPU your using and which process is taking the most CPU/RAM. Once you open Conky everything will become apparent, don't worry.

Post back your findings and we should get a better idea of whats actually going on.
You can take a screenshot of conky of it's easier, (use ctrl shift P).

Thanks James, I have had the phone since February and have a lot of apps on it including conky, I will get a screen shot the next time it freezes and post it on here, hopefully I can get this sorted without having to reflash again??!!?

Originally Posted by phillip.j.oliver View Post

The only way to get the phone to function is to restart it.
Ah you have the dreaded Hildon-desktop bug!
In XTerminal type:
Code:
killall hildon-desktop
Not sure if you have to be root to do it.
You might/will loose some of your desktop widgets, so expect to reinstall some!

This happened to me after upgrading to PR1.3 but having killed it a few times it seems to have sorted itself out.

Did you flash or OTA PR1.3?

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Ah you have the dreaded Hildon-desktop bug!
In XTerminal type:
Code:
killall hildon-desktop
Not sure if you have to be root to do it.
You might/will loose some of your desktop widgets, so expect to reinstall some!

This happened to me after upgrading to PR1.3 but having killed it a few times it seems to have sorted itself out.

Did you flash or OTA PR1.3?
yes you need to go root : sudo gainroot.
before this command, and it shouldn't delete any widgets at all, i do it every day .
and mohamad, 7abib, what is the latest version of your modified hildon-desktop avaible out there ? (with fast kinetic, and extra homescreens) .

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by maddude View Post
yes you need to go root : sudo gainroot.
before this command, and it shouldn't delete any widgets at all, i do it every day .
and mohamad, 7abib, what is the latest version of your modified hildon-desktop avaible out there ? (with fast kinetic, and extra homescreens) .
no root or sudo root needed.
stop talking crap.
thanks

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
no root or sudo root needed.
stop talking crap.
thanks
wtf ???
i always done it with root, never tried it without root .
and whats up with the crap thing ? i was just trying to help, you can just fix my mistakes without all your crap .

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
Originally Posted by maddude View Post
wtf ???
i always done it with root, never tried it without root .
and whats up with the crap thing ? i was just trying to help, you can just fix my mistakes without all your crap .
was just my opinion sry if it cames strange but giving root advices without a need is really dangerous.
imagine what would happen if anybody here would give wrong xterm advices with or without root.
regards

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
was just my opinion sry if it cames strange but giving root advices without a need is really dangerous.
imagine what would happen if anybody here would give wrong xterm advices with or without root.
regards
i'm sorry 2 mate, didn't mean it (i'm having a bad day for some reason!).
i agree with you, i (or anyone else) shouldn't be giving bad x-terminal commands with root ! , i'm trying to get better and better with time with my n900 thanks to you guys.

Last edited by maddude; 2010-11-16 at 22:02. Reason: grammar mistakes.

The Following User Says Thank You to maddude For This Useful Post:
can this be installed on pr1.3?

Tags
bugfix, great stuff, the-red-button