Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I can tell you've never worked in software development and have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You aren't backing up your claim of how adding portrait support from the start would have saved development time. Nokians themselves earlier in this thread have said that it would have added almost a year to the N900's development time.

Adding more features adds more overhead to development time.

Adding more features adds on an exponentially greater amount of testing time.

These are facts of development life. Anyone that's worked in software development before will tell you the same thing.
Nobody is saying adding more functions to the OS would not require more time both coding those functions, testing them and making sure they play nice with the rest of the OS.

However, the only complaints I have seen is that it would have taken another 6-12 months to make ALL STOCK APPS support portrait mode. I read nothing claiming having a software keyboard in the API would have caused such a long delay. In fact, nobody else seems to be asking for such a minimal solution, this thread is mainly about adding portrait mode to applications not simply adding a keyboard to the API to make portrait mode easier and more consistent for developers to add themselves.

The thing is, you miss out a major feature like this and the reputation of the OS will suffer for it. When they FINALLY sort it out, older applications will not support it yet so there could be 100 different keyboards depending on which application you are using and how they addressed the problem. Just like my pet hate on Linux where one application will one file requester with my saved shortcuts on it, then suddenly another will use some other API/Toolkit without my shortcuts. This inconsistency slows the user down and while its something you might put up with on a desktop OS, its totally unacceptable for a mobile where every second counts because you may only have seconds to get the job done, especially as you are relying on limited battery life.

Incidentally, I am newbie developer who was learning C# to write on Windows Mobile, but got stuck with its legacy of having 1000 ways to do something, none of which I could get to work just right. I have also been using Linux exclusively on the desktop for over a year, about 10 years for server/router and occasional desktop use. So I can see the flaws from an end-user perspective but am also aware many of those flaws are the open nature of Linux, too many different toolkits that do the same task. That is great, but not something that is helpful on a mobile device.

Fact is, if you want it to be friendly to the end-user it has to be consistent. So even if you choose to use x y or z toolkit, the OS itself needs a backbone to enforce some rules. One of those rules should be to provide a soft keyboard and ensure it behaves the same in all applications, that is pretty much all I am trying to say. Of course a soft keyboard is only essential for portrait applications, it often would not be needed for landscape ones. But it would be good practice for it to work either way. You are trying to provide what a developer needs. Like daperl said, you do not want to make developers reinvent the wheel.

Sorry if I did not make that obvious previously. You can tell I am not a document writer as I tend to be a bit long-winded in my explanations.

Last edited by Alex Atkin UK; 2009-09-16 at 23:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
You've made a point I've been trying to make for days.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
...all this complaining and yet no one seems interested enough to help do any of the work, even after I've outlined the basics. I guess it's not that important after all.

Disappointing.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Portrait mode, and native app usage in this mode will be one of my questions to Jussi later today. Glad I found this thread too.!

The Following User Says Thank You to Micky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I don't know if people already suggested, and sorry for not search, but am at work and in a hurry, but don't want to forget to do it...

It's about the Browser in landscape mode.
At first I thought it was a bad idea.. all the sites would require scrolling.

But what about switching to "mobile" version of the website when rotating in portrait more?
And back to "desktop" version when in landscape?

This would require a setting (if you want this to happen or not) and an actual reload of the website when you switch to landscape, but this is not required when you switch back to landscape.

Would it make sense?
Or is it too confusing?

Aniello

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
With the N900 already having an Accelerometer, one would assume auto-rotate feature could be added, providing the rendering is enabled too?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
But what about switching to "mobile" version of the website when rotating in portrait more?
And back to "desktop" version when in landscape?

This would require a setting (if you want this to happen or not) and an actual reload of the website when you switch to landscape, but this is not required when you switch back to landscape.

Would it make sense?
Or is it too confusing?
Hm, it IS a great idea, but as you yourself pointed out, might not be that intuitive for folks (not sure how many even realize that mobile versions exist). Could be a nice touch for 'power users', though.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Hm, it IS a great idea, but as you yourself pointed out, might not be that intuitive for folks (not sure how many even realize that mobile versions exist). Could be a nice touch for 'power users', though.
And many websites, I am sure, just are not designed to be switched from mobile/full version in the middle of a session.

One solution would be to have landscape only pages and portrait only ones, but I am not really fond of this.

The best, I think, would be this:

the browser sticks to the desktop/mobile version of the page when it STARTS.

You open a new browser page, rotate to portrait, enter a new URL. This browser instance will STICK to "mobile" versions of all the pages/sites it loads.

If you don't rotate and open a website, that instance of the browser will stick to the desktop version of all the URLs you throw at him.

If you rotate a "sticked" browser instance, you rotate the full or the mobile version of the site as well.

This should not confuse users.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
...all this complaining and yet no one seems interested enough to help do any of the work, even after I've outlined the basics. I guess it's not that important after all.

Disappointing.
So, this is the kind of condescending browbeating we can expect if you're elected?

Beam me up, Scotty.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland

Disappointing.
This is not true, I am very interested.
Unfortunately, I don't have any time now, this is my final year of study. I will help whenever I have time.

But without the list I mentioned yesterday, we can not do much.

(But if on this list I see that Nokia put too much proprietary software, I could also go to other Mobile OS)

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case