Notices

Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Woah, no, no just "forgetting" keys. There's a reason why Russian has those letters - because they're, you know, part of the language. That's like saying "The F key isn't showing up, so let's just skip that one. No one uses F when speaking anyway, right?"

Not sure why the letters aren't displaying either, there's many places where that could go wrong, but "ф/Ф" and "э/Э" ARE integral part of the language in Russian, and it's better to be able to type it with some visual glitches than to not type it at all. Like, there are words you just can't say without those letters, just like you can't type "car" without a "c" or "number" without a "u".

Also try these (first one's lower case, second is upper case) instead:
ф Ф <-- the "ϕ" looks different on my computer and that might be the problem, you might be trying to use the 'Greek' symbol in question, which is actually different than the current standard Russian one, thus having different UTF/ASCII codes, and thus some fonts/systems might ignore the Greek one but not the Russian one.
э Э <--- THESE are the right э in Russian, not "ϵ". Unless you're trying to say е Е or з З, but that doesn't look like it.
eheh thank you for your support Mentalist!
But I have to say that the missing character are exactly ϵ and ϕ
ф Ф э Э are presents and works well

Donate link

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I finally caught up to all the posts in this thread, so some more replies:

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
It was me again with the dialer problem. The issue seems to have been misunderstood.... To clarify, this is when i open the phone app, select 'dialling pad' and then type a number. The only way to see the number is to tap the box, which either highlights the numbers or opens fastsmsevo with the number.
And nothing is, the only problem is the box stays blank, like the numbers are in white or something.
This is a problem in whatever theme you're using. Well, whether or not the virtual keyboard opens can be considered a "bug" for FastSMSEvo, but the text not showing up is a theme issue. On a normal theme (I.E., like the default one) the text is white, and the background for it in the dialing pad of the phone app is black. For some reason, your theme seems to have both the normal, non-highlighted text, and that background, set to white, so you only see the text when you select it.

Don't ask me how to fix though, since I honestly don't know - themes have a BUNCH of different font-colors/font-sizes/font-types defined, and I never fiddled enough to figure out which ones are what.

Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I'm just wondering is there a way to use the default Maemo VKB for the landscape mode and FastSMSEvo VKB for portrait mode? I personally think the default Maemo landscape VKB is much better than FastSMSEvo's VKB, but I do need a portrait keyboard.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I'm personally not sure. You typically have to manually swap Hildon Input Methods to get the vkb to switch at all - I'm not sure off the top of my head if FastSMSEvo puts itself in as a hildon-input-method, or if it just watches for the Hildon-Input-Method's activating dbus signal, and then kills hildon input method and summons the FastSMS keyboard.

Either way, it SHOULD be doable - make an internal setting for FastSMSEvo somewhere that the Evo part checks for, and if true, it launches itself, if false, it doesn't and allows the normal keyboard through. Depending on how it works, it might require rebooting/restarting-FastSMS+FastSMSEvo in order to have the settings change take effect, but it should be conceivable.

Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Possibly might want to have the touch screen vibration as an option so people who dont want this can disable it
Thank you - I like it that people are finally starting to argue in favor of the "make everything possible an option" thing I've been saying all the time.

Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
However I'm thinking about to make the kb fullscreen with a green check (like symbian). What do you think?
I think that you should be able to both click out of the vkb normally (just closing the vkb and committing the text), and have the green check to close vkb, commit the text, and function like an "enter"/"go" key.

This way if you're entering something in a browser password field, but there's some checkbox on the login form you want to click/unclick, you're not stuck with just the green check thing, which will then assume you want to press enter at the same time, or something.

Also, I know this already got addressed by realsportscars adding letter resizing and color changing options, But:

1) it changes with themes. This is problematic for me because i like dark themes, and using this in sunlight using a dark theme is almost impossible.
To be fair, a lot of the users probably like the fact that the keyboard conforms to theme. You might only use the vkb for one handed outside use, but I assume there are many others who don't - I use it outside a lot too, but for some reason I don't really have problems with seeing the letters - the screen on the N900 is transflective, so just tilting it right with the light should make it mostly legible... On the other hand, to each their own, so yes, I think it would be nice if the vkb had the option of using the system theme, or its own theme - but I also think you'd be hardpressed to code that seperately... you can, however, find dark themes with light buttons (like the default digital nature ["alpha"] theme).

3) the erase button would look better as a back arrow rather than an actual eraser (IMO)
I suggested this when this first came out because at first I didn't even realize that was a backspace key. I've been meaning to get around to opening up GIMP and editing together a red sideways arrow (with the eraser in/on the arrow), as a possible replacement icon, but I never got around to it as of yet...

That's all i really think would be helpful. I don't think a keyboard needs all the crackle and pop of a hover mode etc, just something that looks appealing and can be used outdoors under sunlight.
Actually, I would love hover mode. Hover mode is IMMENSELY helpful for two reasons - one, your thumb/finger will cover the button you're pressing, almost guaranteed - it can be nice to see what button you just pressed, and could help with your visibility problem (if the "popping up" symbol-you-pressed-box is light or otherwise visible).

Second, and much more useful, if you press a wrong key (very easy to do on a touch screen), being able to slide your finger over and having the letter you want change accordingly is a massive convenience and time-efficiency improvement; without it, you have to let go of the key you pressed, backspace, and then press the right key again.

(For realsportscars: The coding difference should be reasonably slight, and so it shouldn't be too hard to implement - press, then don't "submit" any key press to the vkb's text area until a key has been released - so "press" simply makes all the keys ready to accept a hover-over, hovering over a key makes that key's button "light up", and then letting go submits the actual key press.)

And on to the replies to my last post:

Originally Posted by Alfred
Dude, I expect you being russian too. So The first one is phi(used mostly in Physics but also sometimes in Chemistry) the second one isn't Э at all. It's just some greek letter used in College stuff too.
Yep, I'm Russian. And I see. (I actually have looked at the Russian layout before, when you submitted it originally, I just didn't remember you had those special keys in there.)

So my apologies for that. I spoke a bit too soon there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I'm working on new layouts...

@maxximuscool:
I need ALL six character on buttons in the file in this order:
-normal
-shift
-symbol page1
-symbol page2
-accented
-accented+shift

You send me only four "columns"

Russina layout is done: 2-3 symbols are not displayed well but perhaps it's because I miss some codec...

@bandora: no this is not possible
@hawaii:why it is best? I never tryed it...
What are the:
-Accented
-Accented + Shift

Can anyone help explain it to me? Is it a T9 layout

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Here is the fully arranged keyboard for Khmer.

I missed 3 of the characters but I think it will be fine. Those three characters are barely used in real life anyway. Mostly used in Pali (Buddhist scripting).

-normal : 29 total
-shift : 29 total
-symbol page1 : 29 total
-symbol page2 : 29 total
-accented : 29 total
-accented+shift : 29 total
3 characters shorts but it will be fine.

Ubuntu 9+ would happily displaying the characters, Windows Vista/7 would display this as well. Windows XP will required khmer Unicode to display these properly in MS word.

http://www.khmeros.info/drupal612/en/download

Windows vista/7 may display in very small due to DaunPenh font type. But if use KhmerOS font it will display perfectly.
Attached Files
File Type: txt KHMERKEYBOARD.txt (829 Bytes, 84 views)

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2011-04-19 at 00:15.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Here is the fully arranged keyboard for Khmer.

I missed 3 of the characters but I think it will be fine. Those three characters are barely used in real life anyway. Mostly used in Pali (Buddhist scripting).

-normal : 29 total
-shift : 29 total
-symbol page1 : 29 total
-symbol page2 : 29 total
-accented : 29 total
-accented+shift : 29 total
3 characters shorts but it will be fine.

Ubuntu 9+ would happily displaying the characters, Windows Vista/7 would display this as well. Windows XP will required khmer Unicode to display these properly in MS word.

http://www.khmeros.info/drupal612/en/download

Windows vista/7 may display in very small due to DaunPenh font type. But if use KhmerOS font it will display perfectly.
Very good!
This evening or tomorrow I will release the new version with also your layout. Added also color for label on kb, more big label,symbols and shift button in alphanumeric, modified shift behaviour (like Mentalist said, I think that now it's amazing) and additional layout behaviour.
Sorry but I can't add easily vibration enabler/disabler so I will postpone this new feature. Also smile layout is missing and newline key in alphanumeric: I don't know why but it's not correctly displayed.

@Mentalist: as always a big thank you for your reply. Your feedback is always welcome!!!

Donate link

Last edited by realsportcars; 2011-04-19 at 07:58.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
look forward to an update

The VKB is not comming up anymore when i click a text box.

It does not show up in the installed apps but when i try to deinstall it, it shows there. I deinstalled and installed it again but still nothin happending. Please help what must be wrong.

edit somehow came up on its own

Last edited by anismistry; 2011-04-20 at 05:32.

Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
The VKB is not comming up anymore when i click a text box.

It does not show up in the installed apps but when i try to deinstall it, it shows there. I deinstalled and installed it again but still nothin happending. Please help what must be wrong.

edit somehow came up on its own
Try to start it by icon, then minimize (don't close) and then tap on a text box
Let me know...

Donate link

Let me know...
is the new version out yet?

Let me know...
hi

thanks it came up on it own

Tags
keyboard, portrait, wikkid