Notices

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
First, I love this app!

Second, it gave me hard times again when I tried to make use of the python script for bluetooth and alarm. Besides python, they utilize dbus which comes preinstalled, but without python-dbus, which is essential.
Is it really asked too much to note it? - I don't understand why such basic requirements are nowhere mentioned.
Again, thedead was kind enough to give me that enlightenment, but I really think that is not the way things should be.
So for everybody not getting the scripts to work:
run "apt-get install python-dbus".

Third, in order to keep the used space minimal and have all important things at a glance, I like to request to make rules (like {network-name} {network-name?}) skip the whole line in case of passive condition instead of a blank line. I don't need {network-name!offline} as I know it would be there if it was active. For bluetooth this works by deleting the last 2 lines in the script:
Code:
else:
    print 'Bluetooth off'
Fourth, in order to use more fancy characters (like for bluetooth, for network or for alarm) I like to see all UTF-8 characters displayable. Actually, Billboard itself can display some, python seems more limited, but also stock browser and firefox can not display all. Don't know if it's possible or where the limitation starts or ends.

Fifth, a big thank you again for this nifty app and the added features in 1.0.7!
Current Maemo Community Council member

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@jmsarriat Billboard is flexible and powerful tool. you should learn all macroses and scriptable options and i'm sure you can solve all your problems.
Sadly, but Billboard can't have magic button "Solve all my problems as i want!" (isnt i'm right, thp?)

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
Besides python, they utilize dbus which comes preinstalled, but without python-dbus, which is essential.
Is it really asked too much to note it? - I don't understand why such basic requirements are nowhere mentioned.
If you run the script without python-dbus installed you get a error message like
Code:
ImportError: No module named dbus
So if you read it carefully it is mentioned by python!

No offense, but where to start/stop explaining? I think you have a very versatile tool and a lot of people with great ideas what to do with it, but limited skills.
Here is the place to ask! If you need help, there are a lot of people (like coderus and thp) posting functional scripts that you can adapt.

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by EmaNymton View Post
If you run the script without python-dbus installed you get a error message like
Code:
ImportError: No module named dbus
If I only knew I could check in terminal... in Billboard there is no error message...
Thankfully thedead pointed me.

Originally Posted by EmaNymton View Post
So if you read it carefully it is mentioned by python!
So you're pretty much saying it IS asked too much and "learn python before using this app"?
- That's like saying "learn Linux before using the N9" or "become a mechanic before buying a car".

No offense, but a one-liner about the requirements in post #1 (like in most threads here) or next to the script-code would have made it clear. Of course, letting people run into problems first and then clarify things is an alternative, but it spills threads (right now), which we all don't like.

The Following User Says Thank You to Win7Mac For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Besides python, they utilize dbus which comes preinstalled, but without python-dbus, which is essential.
Again, thedead was kind enough to give me that enlightenment, but I really think that is not the way things should be.
So for everybody not getting the scripts to work:
run "apt-get install python-dbus".
Billboard doesn't require Python to function - that's why it doesn't depend on Python or python-dbus (if it were, people would complain about the "additional packages that need to be downloaded"). Scripts are an advanced feature, and scripts provided here just depend on Python or python-dbus because the script authors decided to use Python and its D-Bus bindings for the task. If someone were to use perl, ruby or any other language, they would similarly have to install the dependencies themselves. It's still also perfectly possible to implement shell scripts without the need for Python or python-dbus.

I agree that it would make sense to list the dependencies alongside the script code, but that's something that the script authors have to do. If you point me to any of my posts where I didn't do that, I'll gladly edit the posts and add that information.

Fourth, in order to use more fancy characters (like for bluetooth, for network or for alarm) I like to see all UTF-8 characters displayable. Actually, Billboard itself can display some, python seems more limited, but also stock browser and firefox can not display all.
Unicode support depends on a few things:
  • Billboard's support for Unicode characters (there since the beginning)
  • A font that supports the desired character (the Nokia fonts don't have the Berkanan (ᛒ, a.k.a u'\u16d2' in Python) AFAIK)
  • Billboard's support for reading UTF-8 from a script (there since 1.0.7)

For a Python script, you have to make sure that:
  • You declare the encoding of the script ("# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-")
  • You save the script in the right encoding (in the one you declared it)
  • You output the text as UTF-8 (e.g. u'my string'.encode('utf-8'))

With Billboard 1.0.7, script output is interpreted as UTF-8, so if you make sure that your script outputs UTF-8, it will work. Everything that does not work is either an encoding issue (make sure your script really outputs UTF-8) or a font issue (make sure to use a font that supports the character, or it won't work).

But hey, who needs runic characters when you can have the real thing?

Code:
print '<</usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/icons/icon-s-status-bluetooth.png>>'
And yes, right now you can't mix-and-match images and text on the same line (see the Billboard website, "Known limiations" for 1.0.7). Might come in a future version, no promises.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thp View Post
I agree that it would make sense to list the dependencies alongside the script code, but that's something that the script authors have to do. If you point me to any of my posts where I didn't do that, I'll gladly edit the posts and add that information.
Thomas, the script author is you... bluetooth and alarm

Originally Posted by thp View Post
But hey, who needs runic characters when you can have the real thing?
Code:
print '<</usr/share/themes/blanco/meegotouch/icons/icon-s-status-bluetooth.png>>'
And yes, right now you can't mix-and-match images and text on the same line (see the Billboard website, "Known limiations" for 1.0.7). Might come in a future version, no promises.
That's why I would like to use characters, to have them inline, pretty much like Reflektorfalke shows here.
I'm shure I have everything set to UTF-8. But I understand that it's not only a Billboard thing.
Thanks for the additional info.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Thomas, the script author is you...
Hehe - thanks for the links, updated

That's why I would like to use characters, to have them inline
Wait for the next release, it will come with inline image support.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 644 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
I have a few wishes:
-Colored battery percentage, like colored battery bar.
-Short weekday name, (%a Sun.. Sat).
-Different size of the font on separate lines.

Would it be possible?

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Cape Town,South Africa
Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist but would it be possible to change the Wazapp status to start with a capital letter like all the other lines?
For example:" Online" instead of "online" and" Connecting" instead of "connecting."
But it still is a terrific piece of work Thomas!! Thanks a ton!!

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
ask in wazapp thread or use script, placed some pages ago.