Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Keeping up with any news about this device is really complicated by the fact that terms like Fx and F(x) and Hardware Keyboard and Livermorium are all either too generic or too overshadowed by other usages to search for effectively. Or maybe it's just the lack of any independent news . . . Looks like all the information either comes from here or from the xda-developers article based on the promotional emails.

(At least I now know that Livermorium is an artificially created radioactive element named after a laboratory named after a place named after an English-American-Mexican rancher. And that there was another phone called the Fx that I'd never heard of I guess since it was so overshadowed by the Sidekick (and stolen naughty pictures). And also how annoying it is for this amateur jeweler to read the term bezel being pluralized.)

I, too would love to know a little more about the team producing this. And should it ever appear, those people had better "shut up and take my money". Seems like we have a number of interesting potential devices (or potentially intersting devices) coming soon.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Very good questions @dave. Having created a previous product could be seen as a bonus.
Indeed. A bonus. I’m not sure what product we are talking about?

N950 that the “team” have built before?
Moto mod that chen built alone or what team?
Fx possibly a future device?

I think HtheB need to share if we knows what he is talking about.

1 month to MWC and I think we will see the device or prototype by then. Will be an epic MWC with new screen tech too along with this possible device.

So no longer a small product but a big team product?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-01-28 at 17:07.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I don't know any more than you guys know.
But do any of you guys know the team who makes the Nokia phones? Who makes Apple phones? Who makes Sony, Huawei, OnePlus etc. etc...!?
Seriously grow up guys

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
I don't know any more than you guys know.
But do any of you guys know the team who makes the Nokia phones? Who makes Apple phones? Who makes Sony, Huawei, OnePlus etc. etc...!?
Seriously grow up guys
No, we don’t so no worries. Just need to wait to see what this team built. It will be EPIC. But how EPIC?

That’s the million dollar Q.

Maybe it will be announced tomorrow. What do you think about that?

Edit: will Fx be EPIC?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2019-01-28 at 18:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I'd like an update from Chen
The newsletters used to be about a week apart since they started and have steadily grown to just under 2 weeks apart now
Given the last one was on the 16th, we're due for an update

But frankly I don't care about updates, I wish they would just release the phone already
Or at least give us a behind the scenes of what's going on. Where in development are you, any issues, next steps, etc. I know devices don't get built overnight and it requires a lot of work and time. At least keep us in the loop

I feel like for this device to stay relevant, it needs to be released ASAP. Foldable screens are becoming the new big deal among cell phones. The market is at a point where cell phones have become as advanced as they can be and they're looking for a new innovation. The physical keyboard comeback probably isn't it, however it may just be the fresh new device that's different from everything else for the time being.

Honestly, this device should've been released 4-5 years ago, but no manufacturer ever stepped up to the plate. Even the Droid 5 prototype that was leaked was a lukewarm upgrade to the Photon Q (the last/best android QWERTY slider). I'm not surprised at all that they didn't release it, they barely tried to improve. So pissed off about that, no one tried. Not a single manufacturer. And don't tell me the Priv was good. Slides the wrong way, less than average keyboard, not great camera, no software support and stupid expensive. It was a failure, and I can't believe Blackberry bet the farm on that device.

All we see nowadays are slabs and emphasis on screen-body ratios. That's not a bad thing, but that's also why I was telling Chen to focus closely on physical dimensions. I know this phone has a keyboard and every other phone doesn't, but it is the comparison the public will make. The people that are committed to buying this phone will buy it regardless. But for the device to truly succeed, it needs to be adopted by more than enthusiasts. And if it's just another okay-ish phone with a physical keyboard for a gimmick, it won't succeed.

I'm really glad they took the time out to slap on the Pixel camera sensor, stock android, and a nearly bezel-less screen. Compact dimensions will seal the deal, but keep in mind compact-ish phones have been coming out for a while now. Technology also moves fast and is unforgiving. Sure the Pixel 3 sensor is great, but the google software backing it up is what sets it apart. Keep in mind the Pixel 3 has already been out for a few months now... And the world isn't rushing to buy new phones as much because they're built so well. Apple recently stopped announcing how many devices they sell, because sales are low, and they will go lower. Market is at the point of saturation, so this device needs to out there ASAP to make a difference.

Too Long, Didn't Read: CHEN, release the phone ASAP. I know we're asking for a lot, but for your success and relevance, deploy fast! The ship for QWERTY already sailed, but if this device is good enough, it might spark life back into the form factor. And try to build some hype for this device, outside of these few forums and the lone twitter post, or XDA article, there's very little posted about this phone. If people don't know about it, how will they buy it?

\end rant

Last edited by gtmaster303; 2019-01-28 at 18:24.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
[wondering]
Could the Chinese New Year affect something to release? 5th Feb in this year?
[/wondering]

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
But frankly I don't care about updates, I wish they would just release the phone already
Or at least give us a behind the scenes of what's going on. Where in development are you, any issues, next steps, etc. I know devices don't get built overnight and it requires a lot of work and time. At least keep us in the loop
I hear yah. But really what's a month? Some of us have been using phones that's are almost 10 years old!!

Now days you can't share too much, since Chinese will copy the F'k out of your product and sell it before you even announce it. I mean look how quickly notch came out on everything after apple made theirs. Same with folding screens.

So as much as we all want more info, I would say how often do we get to be surprised with new tech these days. It's like a 4 month of xmas even .. lol.

Lets just hope this device is successful enough that they make more! Perhaps smaller with a pen

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Astaoth View Post
The keyboard part doesn't need any certifications. I think they are more about the wireless part (Wifi, Bluetooth, GSM).
Yes, that's the point I was trying to make ;-)

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Not the whole truth.

The chassis and mechanism affect the RF behaviour of the device; the antennas need to be designed against that, it is different when one has an unibody model.
Quite likely. See below as well.

Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
seems to me that it's based (partly) on moto mod development. and it was developed already till prototype phase. so not a big deal to add a PCB and a screen above the moto mod case lol.
Well, you cannot just ask Motorola to hand over their schematics for PCB - Motorola is neither open-source nor encouraging competitors [bad for business, you know]. So it will have to be designed and re-designed and tested and prototyped. The experience in previously designing RF behaviour for Moto Mod may give a head start, though.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I, too would love to know a little more about the team producing this. And should it ever appear, those people had better "shut up and take my money". Seems like we have a number of interesting potential devices (or potentially interesting devices) coming soon.
Going by how speedily they promise to deliver this device, they might have a huge team - and a lot of money invested into this, as well. It's about the only explanation coming into my head, for them to be not asking for pre-orders?

And yes, a lot of interesting potential devices coming soon. Neo900, DragonBox Pyra, Saygus V2, Fx, Librem 5... I am a fan of hardware keyboard though, personally. It's a pity that vertical sliders, with T9 keyboard, are not in development.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
I'd like an update from Chen
The newsletters used to be about a week apart since they started and have steadily grown to just under 2 weeks apart now
Given the last one was on the 16th, we're due for an update

I feel like for this device to stay relevant, it needs to be released ASAP. Foldable screens are becoming the new big deal among cell phones. The market is at a point where cell phones have become as advanced as they can be and they're looking for a new innovation. The physical keyboard comeback probably isn't it, however it may just be the fresh new device that's different from everything else for the time being.

Honestly, this device should've been released 4-5 years ago, but no manufacturer ever stepped up to the plate. Even the Droid 5 prototype that was leaked was a lukewarm upgrade to the Photon Q (the last/best android QWERTY slider). I'm not surprised at all that they didn't release it, they barely tried to improve. So pissed off about that, no one tried. Not a single manufacturer. And don't tell me the Priv was good. Slides the wrong way, less than average keyboard, not great camera, no software support and stupid expensive. It was a failure, and I can't believe Blackberry bet the farm on that device.

All we see nowadays are slabs and emphasis on screen-body ratios. That's not a bad thing, but that's also why I was telling Chen to focus closely on physical dimensions. I know this phone has a keyboard and every other phone doesn't, but it is the comparison the public will make. The people that are committed to buying this phone will buy it regardless. But for the device to truly succeed, it needs to be adopted by more than enthusiasts. And if it's just another okay-ish phone with a physical keyboard for a gimmick, it won't succeed.

I'm really glad they took the time out to slap on the Pixel camera sensor, stock android, and a nearly bezel-less screen. Compact dimensions will seal the deal, but keep in mind compact-ish phones have been coming out for a while now. Technology also moves fast and is unforgiving. Sure the Pixel 3 sensor is great, but the google software backing it up is what sets it apart. Keep in mind the Pixel 3 has already been out for a few months now... And the world isn't rushing to buy new phones as much because they're built so well. Apple recently stopped announcing how many devices they sell, because sales are low, and they will go lower. Market is at the point of saturation, so this device needs to out there ASAP to make a difference.

Too Long, Didn't Read: CHEN, release the phone ASAP. I know we're asking for a lot, but for your success and relevance, deploy fast! The ship for QWERTY already sailed, but if this device is good enough, it might spark life back into the form factor. And try to build some hype for this device, outside of these few forums and the lone twitter post, or XDA article, there's very little posted about this phone. If people don't know about it, how will they buy it?

\end rant
Generally agree, updates are nice to hear, and being able to have the phone in hand is even nicer. I am not particularly interested in foldable screens - partially because I am tired of screen this and screen that. I am more interested in camera-sliders - Oppo Find X has an outstanding approach to this (though I still long for optical zoom).

I don't like Priv, but for a different reason - I wish this vertical slider had square display, just like Passport. And of course, Blackberry isn't kind enough to release a phone with unlocked bootloader and everything else ready for booting an open-source OS.

I like bezel, a prominent one - it protects display from scratches, in many situations.

And I wish for RGB backlight for keyboard, and done well at that. And it's already too late to ask for a non-rectangular phone...

Thank you. Best regards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Generally agree, updates are nice to hear, and being able to have the phone in hand is even nicer. I am not particularly interested in foldable screens - partially because I am tired of screen this and screen that. I am more interested in camera-sliders - Oppo Find X has an outstanding approach to this (though I still long for optical zoom).

I don't like Priv, but for a different reason - I wish this vertical slider had square display, just like Passport. And of course, Blackberry isn't kind enough to release a phone with unlocked bootloader and everything else ready for booting an open-source OS.

I like bezel, a prominent one - it protects display from scratches, in many situations.

And I wish for RGB backlight for keyboard, and done well at that. And it's already too late to ask for a non-rectangular phone...

Thank you. Best regards.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra
You might not care for foldable screens, but the general public does. Either way, it's the next bit of innovation manufacturers have come up with because other than incremental updates, the smartphone hasn't changed much over the past 10 years. Ever since the original iphone I would say.

Bezels are disappearing, whether you like it or not... I am usually very careful with my phones, so I don't really care how delicate it is, as long as it puts up with light use long term. Never dropped my phones

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit