Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
If someone's going to be too lazy to create a dev environment that may force them to grow their brain in the process, I'd hate to see how they maintain their app. But that's just my opinion. I probably see devs/coders as being more qualified to follow along than regular users.
Insults have no place in Brainstorming. It may be your opinion, and you're entitled, but I respectfully request a bit more diplomacy.

Your efforts are appreciated, but don't take other suggestions as a sign of a "shrunken brain" or an indictment of your preferred solution.

I think my brain has grown just fine in 48 years, but I'd rather have those aging neurons firing on the creative process, which is my forte, than getting into the "car shop" of desktop Linux.

Sure I want to learn more about desktop Linux, but even more, I want to quickly and easily apply my current development skills to Maemo development. You may disagree with my desires and motives, but I don't think that alone warrants a rude response.

Thanks for your understanding, Dave.

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-10-23 at 19:40.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Hi all.
Good topic and one that has been discussed inside Nokia a lot as well. Nice to see a Brainstorm on it.

Yes we acknowledge that the current SDK is not the best choice for people who are not familiar with the platform and would just like to do an application to try out the platform.

Yes we are working on it. Developers who aren't familiar with Maemo should have an easier time getting on board, no question about that.

As a quick help there are the VMWare and Nathans VPC (respectable hobby project!) images available.

Also using Qt really eases the learning curve a lot in the beginning. Qt Creator can be used as an IDE even though the compilation still needs to happen under the SDK.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks Tero. I was especially excited about what I saw regarding Qt and Harmattan. I am ready to start learning Python.

Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Hi all.
Yes we are working on it. Developers who aren't familiar with Maemo should have an easier time getting on board, no question about that.
Care to elaborate on this a bit?

Any time frame?

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Anyway, I just downloaded your image. Unfortunately I'm having some major issues in installing Windows Virtual PC on this laptop that I'm currently using (Windows 7) in the first place. It just says "The update is not applicable to your computer"... So typical. Something we Windows users are all too familiar with: Nothing ever works as it should when you really want it!
See the wiki page; you need a specific version of VPC for Windows 7. http://vpc-sdk.garage.maemo.org/

Nathan

Originally Posted by tekojo View Post
Any news, time frame. Can you give details on the plan on how you plan on implementing it? I really don't want to "duplicate" work or waste my time if you are doing a full Qt integration.

If you are talking about the Eclipse integration to compile qt apps in SB, which should be coming in the maemovmware image -- that doesn't meet the needs the I have and I will work on a fully Qt based integration system to SB2 inside a VM image.

Nathan

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
See the wiki page; you need a specific version of VPC for Windows 7. http://vpc-sdk.garage.maemo.org/

Nathan
Yes, but it was exactly that version which did not want to be installed. Now I downloaded and installed VPC 2007 in stead. It seem that it works, but it is really slow...

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Care to elaborate on this a bit?

Any time frame?
You know timeframes are the last thing we like to talk about :-)

What Texrat wants isn't so far away from what the normal weekend coder needs. (and we have a few of those at work)

Something that can be set up in fifteen minutes on the machine that's anyway around the house. And a framework in which you get a simple hello world up and running on device in the next five minutes.

Virtual machines are a pretty good compromise for development, but they still require a lot of scaffolding in the background and they also require some knowledge of the system (Maemo SDK on Linux) that's in the virtual box.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Thanks Tero. I was especially excited about what I saw regarding Qt and Harmattan. I am ready to start learning Python.
Try plain Qt, C++ is pretty easy to get a hang of, plus the tools are good. Qt Creator somehow reminds me of the "good old" IDEs, which were really good in one thing and didn't do anything else except the one thing they were designed for. (for Qt Creator it's Qt apps)

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I really don't want to "duplicate" work or waste my time if you are doing a full Qt integration.

If you are talking about the Eclipse integration to compile qt apps in SB, which should be coming in the maemovmware image -- that doesn't meet the needs the I have and I will work on a fully Qt based integration system to SB2 inside a VM image.
Nathan
No, not the Eclipse stuff. With Qt the idea is to develop wherever you develop and then just compile to target and make sure it looks good. The whole point with Qt is the cross platform idea. And with that we are really looking to ease the pain of beginners, not people who want to dive deep into Maemo internals, for that you will need SB anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post: