F*ck if I'm gonna let Verizon update my computer:

Mandatory System Update: DROID by Motorola

I bought my n900 from Nokia, and for ~$10 I bought a T-Mobile pre-paid w/ free minutes Nokia 1661 from Radio Shack. Just how I like it: Unlocked, uncoupled, and a free bowl of soup.

T-Mobile's 3G coverage is extra primo in San Diego (too bad the weather sucks), and their prices can't be beat.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Can you expand upon this? I wasn't aware Verizon had -anything- to do with the software installed on the HTC handsets.

Are you suggesting that they've crippled the Wifi or BT or something?
My friends said me that RF/WiFi (and I assume - BT) is developed under close supervision of Verizon and they close ANYTHING (he worked for that project). I did a brief search and found nothing for their handsets in open source. I suspect it could be painful to change kernel in their Android's.

Personally, I leaved Verizon 2-3years ago and one of reason - they don't allow me keep my good old Qualcomm handset which had a very good receiption. The reason - absense of GPS in it.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What does Verizon have to do with wifi or bluetooth?
They define a chip which supports it. And closed any chip docs.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
My friends said me that RF/WiFi (and I assume - BT) is developed under close supervision of Verizon and they close ANYTHING (he worked for that project).
Verizon has no hand in any of that. I suspect that at most they butt their noses into what HTC et. al. do to make sure they don't surreptitiously include the ability to tether.

Other than that, Verizon's been surprisingly hands-off with respect to the capabilities of Android devices.

They define a chip which supports it. And closed any chip docs.
Whoa whoa, what chip did Verizon define? I wasn't aware Verizon was in the chip designing business.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Verizon has no hand in any of that.
I think you are wrong here, my friend worked on that chip programming.

Whoa whoa, what chip did Verizon define? I wasn't aware Verizon was in the chip designing business.
No, it doesn't manufacture chip, it just negotiates with Broadcom about chip and it's features and requests a specific driver design from Broadcom (Broadcom is an actual chip and software designer, and I think HTC is just manufacturer)

No, it doesn't manufacture chip, it just negotiates with Broadcom about chip and it's features and requests a specific driver design from Broadcom (Broadcom is an actual chip and software designer, and I think HTC is just manufacturer)
I suspect you mean custom firmware, stuff to disable things like Infrastructure and what not. Certainly, it's unlikely that Broadcom is going to change their chip interfaces for Verizon.

I'd be interested to hear what they changed though, since no one's raised any stink about missing features.

since no one's raised any stink about missing features.
If true, I'm guessing they would be added features.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Certainly, it's unlikely that Broadcom is going to change their chip interfaces for Verizon.
Chip interface is easy to change. We do it each 4 months.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
android bluetooth features have been limited from the get go as google took the stance of not including offcially until they could provide a good stack.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Re: Nokia's penetration in US market

Originally Posted by Marko Ahtisaari, Senior Vice President of Design
"In the US I think it will require a somewhat more consequent approach in the high end. No matter how smooth and fast we make this, and we improve the camera -- this is the best camera right -- it still won't cut though enough until we do an operating system level innovation. It will do extremely well in the market but it's not a breakthrough device."

"In order to cut through in the media environment, I think you need to do operating system level innovation. The products will be cut-through successes in the market, in people's hands, in share of palms and share of thumbs it will be successful. But in order for it to cut through and people to say, whoa, why didn't somebody else think about that and that's kind of what Nokia should do, it will be easier to cut through, from the media point of view, with MeeGo."
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/n...ket-with-meeg/
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!