Active Topics

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Updates to what? Other folks with Nokia N950's?
Despite the name, most of the entries in the Meego Coding Competition have Maemo 5 as the primary (and often only) target. The competition started in April, when nobody had a Meego-Harmattan device for testing and development. There are a small number of entries that target Meego x86.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Man it ain't serious.
Are you sure BADA OS will have a chance to fight with maemo or iOS?
Bada is already much larger than Maemo. Bada 2.0 is much cooler than Android and much more intuitive.

I see a great future for Bada. I also see a great future for the N9, and WP.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
please merge this thread with all other duplicate threads.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That's the Motorola Droid A855 (I have one of those), but why did you post that image here?
Somebody asked earlier in the thread "Whats the next?".

And this is personally what I have been eyeing up as my foray into the murky waters of Android to go alongside my N900.

Can you recommend this machine Dan? I believe it has been superceded by the Droid 2 and 3 (?) but I kind of want something that is the same generation as the N900. See, I want an Android phone but I also want it to feel similar to the N900 (Landscape, Hardware Keyboard etc).

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-09-04 at 12:03.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Bada is already much larger than Maemo. Bada 2.0 is much cooler than Android and much more intuitive.

I see a great future for Bada. I also see a great future for the N9, and WP.
I thought HD-DVD was cooler than Blu-Ray, but the film studios didn't agree and thus it failed.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post

And this is personally what I have been eyeing up as my foray into the murky waters of Android to go alongside my N900.

Can you recommend this machine Dan? I believe it has been superceded by the Droid 2 and 3 (?) but I kind of want something that is the same generation as the N900. See, I want an Android phone but I also want it to feel similar to the N900 (Landscape, Hardware Keyboard etc).
Motorola abandoned the Droid ages ago, so in that way it's very similar to the N900.

Seriously, I like the Droid form-factor, but the reviews I've seen suggest that the keyboard isn't that great. I would also prefer the d-pad to be on the left.

Steve Litchfield did a nice review of the Droid/Milestone in The Phones Show 105

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Motorola abandoned the Droid ages ago, so in that way it's very similar to the N900.

Seriously, I like the Droid form-factor, but the reviews I've seen suggest that the keyboard isn't that great. I would also prefer the d-pad to be on the left.

Steve Litchfield did a nice review of the Droid/Milestone in The Phones Show 105
I refused to buy an N900, so I can't compare them to be able to tell you how N900-like it would feel. If you use the stock Motorola OS, you'll be okaaaaay, but it REALLY shines once you root it and flash CyanogenMod on the device. Then--it's REALLY incredible and, most of the time, just as good as most newer devices for most things (Google Maps, YouTube, Netflix, etc.). I have to agree with Marxian's assessment about the keyboard--it's not very good at all... which is fine for me--I don't really use the keyboard much, but it's nice to have the option sometimes. The DPAD is awful but I could care less about whether it's on the left or right, honestly.

I will disagree with Marxian's statement that it has been abandoned by Motorola. Insofar as Nokia almost IMMEDIATELY abandoned support for us Maemo people almost immediately after the devices are released (i.e. I couldn't so much as get a replacement kickstand for parts), Motorola was not only happy to ship me a replacement door MONTHS after I'd already bought it, but they also sent it to me FREE with FREE two-day shipping. As recently as the middle of this year, they even rolled out Android 2.2.2 as late as March 14, 2011 (THIS YEAR! ...less than 6 months ago, even... when was the last update to Nokia's N900 released?) Motorola and Verizon STILL have support sites up and running, which is more than I can say for much of the N900 sites. So as far as longevity goes, it's not bad at all--but it was also considered the big, bad flagship that REALLY made the biggest launch of Android into most peoples' hands... so I'm sure Motorola wants to keep us happy so we'll keep buying their stuff after the 2-year contract is up (which, for most of us that bought it, will be at the end of this year).

Going back to CyanogenMod, though, it's also considered one of their biggest flagship devices for testing, right alongside the Nexus devices... so you can be sure there'll be an ENORMOUS amount of choices in kernels, mods, ROMs and hacks. So, there is THAT going for it. On the other hand, you could also just get a Barnes & Noble Nook Color to get the same sort of incredibly easy (nearly impossible to brick) CyanogenLove--and with a BIG screen tablet. Only downside I see there is that the Droid's hardware ALL works perfectly with CM7, whereas the B&N Nook Color is still lacking bluetooth support in the stable releases (I think they got it mostly working in the nightly releases, though).

Anything specifically that you're curious about that maybe I can answer, take pictures/video of or points you in the direction of info about either of those machines?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
how can TMO die with all the duplicate threads all the newcomers seem to start lol Google is your friend if the search function fails

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by corduroysack View Post
how can TMO die with all the duplicate threads all the newcomers seem to start lol Google is your friend if the search function fails
Google is certainly not a friend you infidel, never a friend !!!

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I refused to buy an N900, so I can't compare them to be able to tell you how N900-like it would feel. If you use the stock Motorola OS, you'll be okaaaaay, but it REALLY shines once you root it and flash CyanogenMod on the device. Then--it's REALLY incredible and, most of the time, just as good as most newer devices for most things (Google Maps, YouTube, Netflix, etc.). I have to agree with Marxian's assessment about the keyboard--it's not very good at all... which is fine for me--I don't really use the keyboard much, but it's nice to have the option sometimes. The DPAD is awful but I could care less about whether it's on the left or right, honestly.

I will disagree with Marxian's statement that it has been abandoned by Motorola. Insofar as Nokia almost IMMEDIATELY abandoned support for us Maemo people almost immediately after the devices are released (i.e. I couldn't so much as get a replacement kickstand for parts), Motorola was not only happy to ship me a replacement door MONTHS after I'd already bought it, but they also sent it to me FREE with FREE two-day shipping. As recently as the middle of this year, they even rolled out Android 2.2.2 as late as March 14, 2011 (THIS YEAR! ...less than 6 months ago, even... when was the last update to Nokia's N900 released?) Motorola and Verizon STILL have support sites up and running, which is more than I can say for much of the N900 sites. So as far as longevity goes, it's not bad at all--but it was also considered the big, bad flagship that REALLY made the biggest launch of Android into most peoples' hands... so I'm sure Motorola wants to keep us happy so we'll keep buying their stuff after the 2-year contract is up (which, for most of us that bought it, will be at the end of this year).
I was only referring to software updates regarding Motorola's support for the Droid, but I see you have successfully rebuked me on that point, so I stand corrected.

The last update for the N900 was PR1.3 in October 2010.

On the dpad, I was thinking it would be nice to have it on the left for use with games.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, buysomethinelse, doomsday, merge, op braindead?, pls delete, winding down