Active Topics

Poll: Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?
Poll Options
Will Nokia release another MeeGo device after N9?

quim gil has been surprisingly cryptic, indicating that linux has a future but making no mention of meego.

if i were into conspiracy theories i'd be tempted to think that nokia never gave a damn about meego, they just wanted QT to become the default development environment.

Posts: 43 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2011 @ /dev/ttyS0
Originally Posted by ScottishDuck View Post
Elop has been clear. It's a resounding no.
I thought Elop was also clear that WM7 would only be for 20% of Nokia devices. Are you suggesting that Symbian Anna would go on the remaining 80%... with no room for Meego?

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
quim gil has been surprisingly cryptic, indicating that linux has a future but making no mention of meego.

if i were into conspiracy theories i'd be tempted to think that nokia never gave a damn about meego, they just wanted QT to become the default development environment.

Just for reference:
Guess you are talking about this blog from qgil, which was a reply to a very similar question as OPs question I asked here.
I agree it is kind of cryptic in certain parts
Will try to pull together my thoughts on this when I find some time the next days...

QNeptunea -
Best Twitter Client for N9/N950 - HowTo Create Themes

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
They simply have to if they. Want money

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by morbid View Post
I thought Elop was also clear that WM7 would only be for 20% of Nokia devices. Are you suggesting that Symbian Anna would go on the remaining 80%... with no room for Meego?
S40 and S30 will make up the rest in addition to Symbian. More Symbian devices coming by the way:
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n5_ima...-news-2823.php

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
S40 and S30 will make up the rest in addition to Symbian. More Symbian devices coming by the way:
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n5_ima...-news-2823.php
Updated Anna? Wasn't it Belle that should get the new gui? Also, the N-series was supposed to be Meego only but I guess it will not be so. I don't think it matters really, a strong Symbian is good for Meego too as both uses Qt.

Edit: Nokia should make a M-series that is Meego only.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-06-27 at 22:04.

I have lost my faith in NOKIA.

How many N900 were produced and sold? Could someone answer this question? I just want to know.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Thread isn't epic. Poll isn't epic either.

And Nokia isn't going to go full steam into MeeGo either. Not unless by some miracle they sort out the missing services that will make consumers happy, work out the lack of 3rd party vendor support and then give the hackers and geeks a hardware keyboard version with some CPU/GPU combination that's higher spec'd out than the current N9 iteration and somehow do so without causing issues with what's supposed to happen to the WP7 phones.

And all of that has to happen with a much smaller budget. So no. I don't personally foresee MeeGo coming out in any other Nokia phone.
Only one viable way that nokia can penetrate the market ( # of units currently active in end user) so that third party app vendors would like to build an apps for:
Make super deal with the worldwide telco companies to offer the N9 almost free (loosing some profit margins / bending over to get the traction from telco companies).
Sell it unlocked for dirt cheap (loss / not enough margin to cover operating expenses).
Advertisement to directly attract crowds from age group 13 - 40. (multiple ads ok too).
Keep bashing Apple / Droid in TV Commercials especially in USA with comedy theme of what I can achieve with NXX and what you cannot with XXXX. To have a word of mouth ad which every-body talks about. Focus more on the age group ( main focus point to be with-in 20 - 29.
Well in my books all these costs boot load of money which Nokia is not very inclined on investing for the favor of Meego.
SO yes they will make another one. . Yep and will still be another N900 / N9 niche product. YOU STILL WOULD NOT GET WHAT YOU WANT though.

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Protegio View Post
How many N900 were produced and sold? Could someone answer this question? I just want to know.
YES. I CAN answer.
1M.
(don't quote me on this, you only asked if any one can answer which I did, you did not mention anything about it being accurate or legit)

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post: