Active Topics

Closed Thread
the device, in short, doesn't seem to work, now i have to drive 50 miles to return it.

It's not "the" device, it's "your" device.

Ours does work very well. So stop wining, return it and get your money back.

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
the device, in short, doesn't seem to work, now i have to drive 50 miles to return it.

It's not "the" device, it's "your" device.

Ours does work very well. So stop wining, return it and get your money back.
actually "the", in english, is a definite article, it refers, therefore, to one specific device.

if i can get my money back i'll be happier, but that doesn't change anything at all. nokia, rather than allocate the resources to provide customer service, listed this forum as a resource. "change the operating system on your computer" isn't really helpful, though from what i have read here why that is so probablyisn't apparent to most of the authors here.

also "my device works fine" isn't really helpful when someone has a problem. venting against windows because the author of the software written for this device wrote a particular routine isn't helpful. windows is windows, but, bill gates nor microsoft nor anyone at microsoft wrote the routine which installs this software on the nokia n800, i'd wager. i do know that, from time to time, i do install software on all of my microsoft boxes, and this is the first time i've run across anything that stupid.

in fact, while nokia lists this forum as some sort of replacement for actual customer service (which is what i thought it was and what nokia represents it as in the limited literature they provided with the device) that isn't what it is either. given nokia's other misrepresentations that isn't a surprise.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by cdstrand View Post
first, the title is not misleading. the hardware doesn't work.
What hardware? Yours? Everyone's?

It would sure be nice to avoid the hyperbole...

actually "the", in english, is a definite article, it refers, therefore, to one specific device.
Um-- not exactly.

You're omitting one important factor: context. You're using "the" in conjunction with overly broad statements. Retreating to a specific definition of the article doesn't excuse you from the error.

Shoot a wide load, and you're gonna get dumped on in return. Specifics are sweet. They tend to limit the volleys to targets.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-05-14 at 20:29.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What hardware? Yours? Everyone's?

It would sure be nice to avoid the hyperbole...

Um-- not exactly.

You're omitting one important factor: context. You're using "the" in conjunction with overly broad statements. Retreating to a specific definition of the article doesn't excuse you from the error.

Shoot a wide load, and you're gonna get dumped on in return. Specifics are sweet. They tend to limit the volleys to targets.
my dear illiterate friend, the device doesn't work means what it says, just like "internet tablet" and "connect to the internet using wifi" each has a meaning. anyone reading this thread can decide for themselves what i wrote, no need to excuse me at all.

the device doesn't work. it's a piece of crap because not only does it not work, but nokia doesn't provide any support for the n800 worthy of the name.

Lol... he called me illiterate. That's one for the record books.

I stand by my accurate assessment, O Malcontented One: your remarks are overly broad. Your indictments scatter all over the map. You don't speak for the majority.

I'll agree that the support needs vast improvements, but only a truly illiterate person would agree that your grammar is appropriate. But blather as you will. We'll see how successful you are at it, eh? Meanwhile I'll keep using my fully-functioning N800.

Lol... he called me illiterate. That's one for the record books.

I'll agree that the support needs vast improvements, but only a truly illiterate person would agree that your grammar is appropriate. But blather as you will. We'll see how successful you are at it, eh? Meanwhile I'll keep using my fully-functioning N800.
actually my grammar is impeccable. and surely i'm not the first to note your obvious deficiencies.

successful? at what? My only intention, at this point, is to take this piece of crap back for refund, if possible (and leave you groupies to your grop).

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
actually "the", in english, is a definite article, it refers, therefore, to one specific device...

...also "my device works fine" isn't really helpful when someone has a problem.

Dig upon "my device works fine" notice it wasn't "the device works fine".

...in fact, while nokia lists this forum as some sort of replacement for actual customer service (which is what i thought it was and what nokia represents it as in the limited literature they provided with the device) that isn't what it is either. given nokia's other misrepresentations that isn't a surprise.
This forum (or should I say "the forum" ) is a resource. It is not a call center or on-line help desk. Had you used this resource by reading posts that were relevant to your problem you would have found plenty of "N800 can't connect" or "problems using WiFi" threads. Perhaps your issue would have been handled better had you posted in one of those threads instead of starting a new, INACCURATELY titled thread.

From what was/has been posted so far; it sounds like you have a connectivity issue and you blame it on hardware because you had hardware issues before with a Nokia product???
Your thread title appears on this (the?) forum's main page and suggests that this is another N800 hardware problem. I wasn't aware of many hardware problems other than the touch screen issue on some of the first units released. However, a casual viewer may be misled by your choice of words.

Reading is fundamental but context means everything.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
context means everything
Now THAT really is impeccable. Worthy of framing, and words to live by... as opposed to the misguided, pretentious blather.

Now THAT really is impeccable. Worthy of framing, and words to live by... as opposed to the misguided, pretentious blather.

Mr. abuser is at it again with the newbies I see. He is alwyas the one who fuels the fire while thinking he is intelligent and mature... he never knows when to quit... in TOTAL DENIAL... except when he got put in his place by this newbie.

Last edited by euchreprof; 2007-05-14 at 23:35.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
Mr. abuser is at it again with the newbies I see. He is alwyas the one who fuels the fire while thinking he is intelligent and mature... he never knows when to quit... in TOTAL DENIAL... except when he got put in his place by this newbie.

Correction... "The" newbie.

BTW, I responded to this thread because of the tone and generalizations used by the OP. I have been frustrated by some of the same issues but every time I am about to give up on it, I learn something new in this forum that redeems the dang thing for another 2 or 3 weeks. (If I was to rant on re-flashing, I would have gone off about my initial frustration with the re-flash directions referring to a "home" key. I couldn't find in the scant documentation provided by Nokia a mention of the "Home" key let alone a simple illustration pointing it out.)

In any event the ideas and information in this forum usually are free flowing and not encumbered by off topic or inaccurate banter. I truly wish the best for the OP with "the" device and believe that if he had used another approach this forum would have been as useful to him as it has been for me.

What was the purpose of your post?

Closed Thread