Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
slate & keyboardless form factor with rounded back & edges.. all-black face plate with silver bezel.. capacitive screen.. No MMS..

...HMMMM...

..I wonder where have I seen this before...?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by tso View Post
Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
From this and other threads, I am beginning to believe that I am the only one that can tell when Hogwash is blowin smoke, tryin to be funny (sometimes succeeding).
close but not quite
He's not blowing smoke, but smoking pot?

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Sweet mutha of jeezus....do I really need to use the sarc tag for that kinda thing? Do you want me to frickin' write it in crayola too? If you sit on my knee I'll spoonfeed it to you kids

Thankfully there are still some sentient beings around here with well-honed sarc/BS detectors

And yes, I chose the nick "Hogwash" for self-deprecating humorous reasons

PS. My source also tells me that to improve upon the bandwidth of USB OTG, the N920 will fully implement the RS232 standard.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by AVee View Post
He's not blowing smoke, but smoking pot?
Not since my college days....many, many moons ago

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
capacititve screen would limit Maemo. Imagine running desktop Linux apps without the stylus. The stylus adds capability to run Ubuntu/Debian desktop software. That simple.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
The pulled article from Engadget in case anyone is wondering.

Nokia N920 leaked, keyboardless and harboring a capacitive touchscreen?
from Engadget by Paul Miller

We got the briefest of N920 mentions the other day courtesy of Mobile-review, and now we're supposedly looking at it, in all its touchscreen-only glory. The wild news here is that supposedly has a 4.13-inch capacitive touchscreen, which is a good and bad thing: good because capacitive will undoubtedly make touchscreen typing more feasible, bad because as far as we know Maemo won't support capacitive until version 6, meaning we could be in for a wait -- we're already hearing February of next year at the earliest, with spring or summer 2010 being more likely for this device, and Maemo 6 is due even later than that. Of course, this could all be lies and Photoshoppery (there's some oddness to the lighting in the picture, particularly on the edges of the device), but at least we know Nokia is headed in the capacitive direction one way or another for primarily touchscreen-driven devices.

[Via Unwired View]

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Philadelphia, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
capacititve screen would limit Maemo. Imagine running desktop Linux apps without the stylus. The stylus adds capability to run Ubuntu/Debian desktop software. That simple.
Very true. But don't underestimate the power of customer stupidity. The subset of users who would know the difference and care would have to be larger than the subset of users who want capacitive.

Otherwise, its a sound business decision to just give the masses their capacitive, as it is a buzz word that can sell more units.

That being said, I don't think Nokia will do it because of problems with capacitive and alphabets outside of the standard western set.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I hope not. The resistive screen was one of the selling point for me for the n900. I dislike capacitive and the lack of accuracy that goes with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
You can still run the software.. It just has to be redesigned for a mobile computing platform. At this point in touch interface evolution there really shouldn't be a NEED for a stylus.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Guys, please. This thread is not about whether or not Hogwash was sarcastic.

On a topic-related note: Engadget recently pulled it's article covering the subject for, by me, reasons unknown. Fortunately my newsreader have the article stored in its buffer, so for those who're interested in reading it, a copy of the content can be seen at http://arkenklo.net/stuff/engadget-n...20_leaked.html.
Edit: Seems that Engadget has pulled all N920-related articles. Wierd.

Otherwise, although it's very obvious this is a fake, such a device is very likely to be released by Nokia. An N900 lacking keyboard but sporting all its other awesome features is just what many want. Although I doubt that Nokia will wait to release one until Maemo 6, as is speculated in the Engadget article.

Last edited by Arkenklo; 2009-10-15 at 18:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arkenklo For This Useful Post: