Active Topics

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by tdesws View Post
can you tell me how much you battery stays until it dies? I'm going to buy it, too soon, i want to know how long it can be without charging
I have N900 more then 1 month, so:

Intensive WiFi - up to 5hours, highly depends on screen brightness.

Periodic daily WiFi (each hour around 10-15mins) and phone calls - whole day (12h).

Periodic daily 3G and phone calls - 2 days (yes, but you should disable WiFI and stop wlancond daemon and unload wl12xx, mac80211 and crc7 drivers). Intensive - one day (12h)

(the WiFi problem is acknowledged by Nokia and they already prepared a fix in next release, but still doesn't do it public yet)

Video play - around 5-8hours. (Yutube takes more energy - 5h - because of WiFi/3G)

Just phone - weeks.

Some tricks do exist to save battery, like stopping/killing some not energy saving applications or locking screen ASAP, of course.

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by yorg View Post
sorry, lost track of this thread.

i am not 100% sure how I did it. I noticed that mine was at 87% immediately after I unplugged it. so I tried to charge it again but it kept saying "battery fully charged"

so I used it for about 5 mins and tried to charge it. at some point it started charging again and went to 97% this time. Ever since, it goes up to 97% or sometimes 96%.

The main thing is that if you get it to 97% rather than 87% you ll see a 11.5% increase in battery life which for me was about 3 more hours.

Also at some point when I got the phone I copied a file I saw here that kills the wifi process when I disconnect from the wifi. I am not sure whether it is working though.
Noticed mine charges to 100% but then drains when still connected to the charger for some reason. The phone must still run of the battery even when conncected to the mains.

Originally Posted by Magel282 View Post
Noticed mine charges to 100% but then drains when still connected to the charger for some reason. The phone must still run of the battery even when conncected to the mains.
Yes, that's what I think too. I am not sure whether all charging mechanisms work like that. It seems that once the phone reaches full charge, the charging stops but the phone starts draining the battery on standby. Then when the battery reaches a certain point, it starts charging again. So charging it overnight does not mean it will be full in the morning.

As I said, this may be old news. I am not sure what can be done about it.

So charging it overnight does not mean it will be full in the morning.
This has been my observation also. By the time I turn it back on in the morning it has lost over 10% charge probably just from powering the little green light.

also have you enabled power management for the WIFI? Have you reduced the output from 100 mw to 10 mw?

How is this done? and what exactly does it mean by reducing the power of the wifi. What does this do to your web browsing experience?

Originally Posted by chicoelnino View Post
also have you enabled power management for the WIFI? Have you reduced the output from 100 mw to 10 mw? How is this done? and what exactly does it mean by reducing the power of the wifi. What does this do to your web browsing experience?
Yes I have done this according to yorg's instructions on the second page of this thread. Reducing the power to the wi-fi will make the battery last longer but will effect the range and perhaps speed of the connection to the router.

immediately after the phone states it is fully charged, open xterminal and type this:

lshal | grep perc

it should give you the percentage.

To enable power saving on the wfi follow the steps:

Settings -> Internet Connections -> Connections

Select your wifi connection and press Edit then :

Next - > Next -> Next -> Advanced

Then click on the Other tab and change WLAN transmission power to 10 mW and power saving to On (maximum)

press Save - > Finish -> Done -> Save

You should be ready now.

In any case, make sure you disable the wifi when it is not needed

I hope this helps

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Atlanta
is there a bug filed for the battery not charging up to 100%?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
Re Battery, when you say it never reaches 100% what percent does it get to? 98% 99%

I'm wondering if the N900 is being over clever and recognising 'battery wear' and therefore never reporting full? For example battery bar on my netbook indicates I have lost 3% of my batteries original capacity due to wear, however my netbook still reports reaching 100% charge to the OS. Maybe the N900 (lshal|grep) reports actual capacity, just a thought.

Does the battery icon look 'Full' even when lshal indicates less?

Last edited by Duffer; 2010-02-02 at 12:33.

Mine hasn't lasted a full day since i got it? i'm use to it n doesn't really bother me? I charge it sometimes 3 times a day n now i have a "ted baker portable charger" look one up on ebay for about 15 quid gives u at least 2 full charges when out n about, charger in my van n plugged in when i'm at home.
All i can say is get over it! the battery isn't good enough for the phone n theres nothing you can do about it except charge it all the time

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
natedog400,
Care to little open your daily usage and have you tried to install batterygraph and monitor/analyze your daily usage and how different things affect the battery life.