Active Topics

Notices

NEW VERSION 0.1.0: Change Log
v0.1.0
  • Lots of built-in error handling to avoid malfunctions
  • File /home/user/.config/mscimswitcherstatus/mscimswitcherstatus.conf allows you to set whether SCIM starts on boot
  • Two new options below: can only be changed by editing /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/mscimswitcher_status.py: for now
  • Can now set whether the 'scim-panel-gtk' process is suspended when switching to Hildon
  • And if suspending, whether or not to kill 'rtcom-messaging-ui'

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Well, if you're like me, you use SCIM only rarely and most of the time, battery life and the symbol/virtual keyboards are more important.

I spent all of yesterday looking for ways to allow on-the-fly switching of input methods (i.e. between Hildon and SCIM). I tried SCIM bridge, Qimsys and even tried making symlinks to the actual input method binaries, so that they could be redirected with ln. None of these worked, unfortunately. If I understand correctly, when a Hildon/GTK application is launched, it links to the .so file of the first input method listed in /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules. What is needed is a layer between application and input method. SCIM Bridge looked interesting, but did not work in that way.

In the meantime, applications started using hildon-input-method obviously are unaffected by suspending SCIM, so that's how I wanted my system to be.

To run an application where I'll use SCIM input, I simply enable MSCIM before launching the application.

In order for SCIM to be available in the X session, I found it was necessary to symlink the SCIM version of /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules into place briefly at boot, start the SCIM daemon and then symlink the Hildon version back into place. This will happen automatically if you disable "SCIM active on boot" in the Preferences dialog.

The "Suspend SCIM panel when Hildon active" option will pause the process that wakes up the CPU. This will save battery, but will cause apps to freeze until MSCIM is reenabled or they are restarted.

The "Kill RTCOM on suspend" option is only useful if you are suspending SCIM's process. It will kill the processes of the Conversations/IM/SMS windows, which can't be restarted by simply reopening their windows like most apps.

N.B.:an application started with SCIM active will still not get the virtual/symbol keyboards until closed and relaunched (tricky for Conversations). Likewise, an application launched with Hildon input method will not gain access to SCIM without restarting, after enabling SCIM.

Last edited by Xagoln; 2011-05-16 at 10:54. Reason: New config dialog renders much of this post obsolete

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
v0.1.1 Change Log
* rtcom-messaging-ui will now only be killed if both of the following conditions are true:
  1. You have configured for the SCIM process to be suspended when switching to Hildon
  2. You have configured for 'rtcom-messaging-ui' to be killed on suspend/unsuspend

See the preceding post for more details on how to do this.

I probably won't be making any more updates for a while now, unless there are any serious bugs.

In a later release it would be nice to add localisation, so that messages display in peoples' native language, as well as make changing the configuration more user-friendly.

I highly recommend updating from any version earlier than 0.1.1.

Version 0.2.0 Change Log
  • Finally, a user-friendly configuration/Preferences dialog - no more need to edit the script or configuration file by hand! \o/

It'd be great if people could test it as it will soon be going into extras-devel.

This time there really won't be updates any time soon, except in case of serious problems!

Get it from Post #1 of this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...40&postcount=1
Attached Images

Last edited by Xagoln; 2011-05-16 at 11:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
After updated, the mscimswitcher is missing at status menu

I got the same problem, MSCIMswitcher disappeared @statusmenu ~ haha

uninstall and install again?

Aaarghhh!

Hmm, any chance you could help me troubleshoot?

First we should try this:
Code:
killall hildon-status-menu
Wait a few seconds for it to restart and then check again. Do you have a lot of items on your menu? Installing a new package will cause it to move from its usual position.

If there is still no sign of it, try:
Code:
pkill -f /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu && DEBUG_OUTPUT=1 /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu

If you could run the following commands and then send the file mscimtest.tar.gz to me it would be very useful:

Code:
ls -l /home/user/.config/mscimswitcherstatus /etc/gtk-2.0 /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/mscimswitcher_status.desktop /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/mscimswitcher_status.py > /tmp/mscim_perms && dpkg --get-selections > /tmp/pkgs && tar cvfz $HOME/MyDocs/mscimtest.tar.gz /home/user/.config/mscimswitcherstatus/mscimswitcherstatus.conf /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/mscimswitcher_status.py /tmp/pkgs /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-menu/mscimswitcher_status.desktop /tmp/mscim_perms

I already done killall and even reboot also nil help.
I dont have many item in status menu, previous version also ok, just this version not ok

pkill not working