Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Aw, nuts... this thread didn't get near as interesting as that... other one.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So what's the 900 or whatever number they're gonna assign to it? Stage 4? Wake me up when stage 5 comes up and I'm not on Nokia's 8 month $500 payment cycle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgecore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Looks like Nokia "fixed the glitch" when it comes to my source: the FCC. The N810 WiMAX edition isn't even posted yet, so my bi-weekly scouring of FCC filings won't help get a tip on this one

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
What? Don't all of you have the N1K yet? I had mine implanted the other day.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'd assume that if there's no new model in 2008, the patform can be considered dead. it wouldn't survive such a long time without substantial improvement in this market. (even more so if you remember that the 810 is practically identical to the 800 and even Nokia admitted it couldn't be seen as a successor but as a sideline.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
I think calling the platform dead is a little harsh but yeah, Nokia will have to make some big investments... just consider how much money google is dropping on their platform... And Apple... oh well they have an army of turtleneckfreaks coding for free - and as much as i hate to admit it: A lot of the hacked apps for the ixxxxx are a lot more polished than the ones available for the nit's. I love my tablet an this platform, but i think Nokia is getting nowhere if they don't support the community more. How about some big contest like Google did for Android.....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
This is not meant as offensive, so I hope no one takes it that way-- but only a handful of internet tablet apps developed by the community even have the proper resources behind them to come close to what the "turtlenecks" probably have. This is true OSS, and a lot of it is trial-and-effort, learn-as-you-go due largely to constraints I won't belabor.

BUT-- *if* this community pulled together, formed fewer, slightly larger teams and pooled time/knowledge/other resources, the results, I am convinced, would be amazing. There has been a lot of overlap/conflict between some OSS projects...

And I won't/can't go into the (*ahem*) official side of things. : /

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
You know what I'd like to see instead of an N900?

Maemo on the E71 and E90 (with E90 versions for WCDMA 1700 ... and I guess the WCDMA band used by AT&T).

A tablet design that's more like the AT&T Tilt, Sidekick Slide, and/or I-Mate Ultimate 9502 would all be cool ...

and maybe it'd be cool to see a maemo on a larger tablet design, sort of like an UMPC (say, maemo running on something with a profile like the Samsung Q1) ...

But, really, the N810 is "good enough" for now. What I _really_ want, sooner than a new tablet design, is for Maemo to make the leap to the Nokia phone line-up.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
(and, by "good enough", I mean the hardware design... the software, application ecosystem, and GUI could still use some improvement, but for now the hardware is "good enough" IMO ... but I wouldn't balk at "N810 UMTS edition" and "N810 EVDO edition" sisters to the WiMAX edition ... though, a new hardware design before LTE gets deployed might be nice)

Originally Posted by Duma View Post
Hey Guys,
A friend of mine at Nokia has told me to expect the next all new internet tablet sometime before xmas 2008. He said Aug-Sep is the most likely release date.. No hardware specs revealed yet, but development supposedly started earlier this year.
Are you serious? OMFG..it's a good thing I'm holding off on the N8x series. I already have the iphone/touch, last thing I need to get a device that does the same job. and i'm not even an Apple fan boy, I just want something that just works...thanks Jobs, may I have another.

Now listen up Nokia, here's my request k:
-faster processor
-more ram
-regular SD slot
-glass screen..ie iphone/touch
-PIM

is that asking too much? NO!

You already have a winning form factor, don't change a damn thing. Oh and keep the slide out keyboard, that's a plus.

I will see you middle of 4th quarter..*wink*

Ban Ban...