Posts: 150 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by marko232987 View Post
this is the most important question for n900 buyers becouse it is not known that maemo 5 will be interest for developers because maemo 6 comes for 12 monts.if someone have information about this share ??????
I certainly hope we can upgrade. And you make a very valid point. If Maemo 6 is going to come out very soon (12 months), that means that most developers won't REALLY invest too much time into programming for an OS that's already received it's expiration date. In my opinion, I think it will be supported. the N900 is a top of the line product. It has a high resolution screen, camera, fast processor, tons of ram.

I'm sorry, but my only REAL experience is with Blackberry. Look at the 8100, 8800 and 8300 series. Those models are YEARS old, and they have gotten updates from 4.1 to 4.2, to 4.5 and now to 5.0 very soon. 5.0 is the end of their lifeline but they've survived many years upgrading with 64 megs of ram and a low res screen and a crappy 1-2 mpx camera (if that, note 8800 series which doesn't sport any camera).

I can't wait for this device

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zkyevolved View Post
I certainly hope we can upgrade. And you make a very valid point. If Maemo 6 is going to come out very soon (12 months), that means that most developers won't REALLY invest too much time into programming for an OS that's already received it's expiration date. In my opinion, I think it will be supported. the N900 is a top of the line product. It has a high resolution screen, camera, fast processor, tons of ram.

I'm sorry, but my only REAL experience is with Blackberry. Look at the 8100, 8800 and 8300 series. Those models are YEARS old, and they have gotten updates from 4.1 to 4.2, to 4.5 and now to 5.0 very soon. 5.0 is the end of their lifeline but they've survived many years upgrading with 64 megs of ram and a low res screen and a crappy 1-2 mpx camera (if that, note 8800 series which doesn't sport any camera).

I can't wait for this device
if developers migrate to qt, why not developing for maemo5?!? 12 months testing and then final app to maemo6 & possibly symbian too.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I'm sorry to say, but unfortunately most people are pretty clueless as to what all this GTK <-> Qt switch means and how it impacts applications/compatibility. All they hear is 'there will be a new version of Maemo' and then their buyer's remorse gland kicks in, when in fact both Maemo 5 and 6 will run BOTH GTK and Qt stuff so application portability between the two is fairly good.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: