Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This recent newsgroup discussion suggests there are two problems contributing to loss of pressure sensitivity - one is firmware related, the other is a hardware problem with some touchscreens.

Since I don't think we're discussing the firmware issue in this thread, it may be time to contact Nokia for repair/replacement.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Since I don't think we're discussing the firmware issue in this thread, it may be time to contact Nokia for repair/replacement.
Please post back how it goes. I tried Nokia UK support and had issues about not being part of Nokia Club and at the time the UK freepost repair option was not available, and no physical repair centres near me accepting anything other than phones. I was though able to send mine back - for a dodgy button problem - within 7 days of purchase. I'm about to buy my replacement, hopefully Nokia have corrected this touch screen issue.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
I've just sent Nokia UK Customer Services the following:

The touchscreen has reduced pressure sensitivity on the right side, along the vertical scrollbar (in a browser window) and over the right end of the virtual keyboard. It takes several stronger stylus presses in this area to register a click and this impedes functionality of the device. This problem was reported by a large number of users on http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=4690

Has this problem been fixed, ie. if I return my device for repair, would I get a screen with even pressure sensitivity?

Have you heard back from Nokia? Is the sensitivity issue resolved?

Rich

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
I have the same problem with mine. A reboot actually helped marginally but it takes quite a bit of pressure to move the right scroll bar up and down. The VK's enter key is also problematic - I have to really punch it with the pen for it to work.

Apart from the courtesy blurb, below is the essence of the reply from NokiaHelpLine (dated 23rd Feb):

"...With regard to your email concerning your Nokia N800 Internet Tablet, please be advised that we will be in touch as soon as possible about the repair of your device."

Not very promising so far...

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ OC, CA
Any update on this? The right side of my touchscreen (specifically the scroll bar area) is at the point now where I have to apply force to get it to function. I'm at the point of replacing my unit as well.

No change in the UK.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Nokia UK just called to arrange pickup of my first N800 - rep on phone didn't know if it was a common problem or if it would definately be fixed, it was his first N800 he'd arranged for repair.

Good that Nokia are arranging pickup from any address of my choosing, can't fault them for that kind of service. He also said one-two week turnaround.

One question - what do I return the N800 with to avoid losing parts? Do I return just the device and battery, but keep the battery cover + stylus etc? I was running around trying to find the device (needed the WLAN number) when he said what to return and forgot to get him to repeat it!

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
One question - what do I return the N800 with to avoid losing parts? Do I return just the device and battery, but keep the battery cover + stylus etc? I was running around trying to find the device (needed the WLAN number) when he said what to return and forgot to get him to repeat it!
I'd take off the stylus, battery, memory cards and just send the device. they should have enough stylus, batteries etc to do what they need to. Though I've got no experience with Nokia repairs.

I did have a Sony camera that had a fault and Sony asked to just return the camera minus battery and accessories. When fixed it was returned with a new li-ion battery!

Rich