Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
should add that you can install anything you want on mythbuntu, turning it into a full version of ubuntu if you desire.
i would suggest you use mythbuntu for dedicated myth boxes either backends or frontends, and ubuntu or mint for general purpose use and add the myth frontend package

I would recommend ubuntu/mythbuntu for the backends and - if they are dedicated 'set-top' boxes, run minimyth on the frontend

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by chomber View Post
mythtv client for N900 and Maemo 5.
Anyone else interested?
Absolutely! This would be awesome.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Mmmmm.... MythTV

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Therein lies the biggest issue with me. My video capture card is very common for off the shelf and OEMs alike, and yet not supported AFAICT. Once I get compatibility, either via a new card or better support, I'm definitely trying MythTV again. Sounds like just what I want. I really hope XBMC can act as a front end as you guys imagine it could.
The ivtv driver lists your card as working since at least Feb 08:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Supported_hardware

Here's the card I've been using with Myth to record dual HD digital broadcasts simultaneously:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by lbt View Post
Mmmmm.... MythTV

More like Mmmmm... that TUB! Nice...

Originally Posted by lbt View Post
Mmmmm.... MythTV

Is that a Frontend or Backend or Both

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by fphillips View Post
The ivtv driver lists your card as working since at least Feb 08:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Supported_hardware

Here's the card I've been using with Myth to record dual HD digital broadcasts simultaneously:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116037
I notice my card in the list, but I could never get Myth working properly on my machine, and figured it was the video, but may have been a setup issue. Why can't it be simple, just install, detect the card, and go?

Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Is that a Frontend or Backend or Both
Just a frontend ... the backend has a few 1TB disks in it...

It's actually just a £10 "ebay special" amplifier and a £10 dell desktop PC in the attic wired in via a light-switch (and RCD).

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I notice my card in the list, but I could never get Myth working properly on my machine, and figured it was the video, but may have been a setup issue. Why can't it be simple, just install, detect the card, and go?
A few weeks ago I installed SageTV on Linux, and it was pretty close to install, configure without problems, and go. It took me another couple weeks of wrestling with MythTV to get to the same point. But today, I finally got MythTV working. Once I spent a little time with it, it no longer seemed so overwhelming. MythTV is definitely more powerful than SageTV. I'll be using MythTV going forward and I'm glad I invested the time to finally get it working. But no doubt, installation and configuration can be a challenge.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Tags
encoding, maemo 5, mobile, mythtv, streaming