Active Topics

Youtube did not slow down the multitasking, youtube and flash video on the n900 is known to perform poorly.

They probably need to tweak the code a bit because I've tried the n900 running with a full video and no hiccups with other webpages and tasks open.

The Following User Says Thank You to ming387 For This Useful Post:
Can anyone test it with an AT&T sim and report just how bad is the browsing speed with edge?

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
I'll post all of my under-one-hour's experience, but the first strongest impression was how multi-tasky the N900 is.

I don't know where the performance starts to suffer, but in my finger-on-screen time and in two days' observing others using it, I saw many, many windows/apps open and never a sign of a slow-down.

I don't expect a pocket device to replace a netbook or laptop, but when I'm using it in lieu of a larger-in-every-way machine, I don't want to keep running into barriers that remind me of that.

The barriers have to be there. But I didn't catch sight of a one. Unbelievable.

RogerS
Even the beast used to render The Lord of The Rings slowed down when rendering the final movie.

Keep that in mind and remember that all devices will slow down if you throw too much stuff at it.

But definitely the hardware in the N900 (and that's the very same that's in the iPhone 3GS) is more than capable of handling real multitasking as we've seen from the videos.

Aniello

Thanks for those hands-on reports from "real" people. It was really good to read. It just makes me more excited about it. I have already preordered the phone, but have a question I'd like to ask you all to kill the curiosity until the phone arrives.

I use Skype to make calls to other Skype users and land lines. I know Skype to Skype is supported in the contacts view and it looks very easy to launch, but is there a "button" to call a land line through Skype as opposed to cellular?

TIA for any info!!

Had some time with the N900 over the weekend. Beautiful, solid powerful little thing. So much potential under the hood to be the 'smartphone' I've always wanted all my other Nokia handsets to be.

Hands on review
Comparison Photos: N900 vs N800 vs N82 vs N95 vs N97

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JayMontano For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
How well does the GPS receiver work in comparison to the N810?

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Den in USA View Post
How well does the GPS receiver work in comparison to the N810?
Well, Roger can answer it better, but according to him, his n810 took around 4 minutes to get a fix, while lcuk's n900 took around 40 seconds (London area).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by JayMontano View Post
Had some time with the N900 over the weekend. Beautiful, solid powerful little thing. So much potential under the hood to be the 'smartphone' I've always wanted all my other Nokia handsets to be.

Hands on review
Comparison Photos: N900 vs N800 vs N82 vs N95 vs N97
"Not going to go on a resistive/capacitive debate but being resistive, you do need more pressure on the screen than resistive." <-- I think you mean "you do need more pressure on the screen than capacitive."

"I’m a bit converned about how much of a dust magnet" <--- concerned

"just subtle enough to hide the scree." <-- screen

"The browser is Mozilla’s Fennec Fox," <-- NO, incorrect. The browser is not Fennec, but is good ole Microb as we've had in Maemo for a while which is based upon Firefox.

Good stuff. Thanks.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-09-15 at 14:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by JayMontano View Post
Hands on review
From the page:
Note the compass which isn’t listed in the official specs (neither was infrared – TV/DVD Remote applications again ^_^)
I may still be the only one dreaming but are you saying that rotating on yourself actually made the compass work !?

Originally Posted by bheetebrij View Post
I use Skype to make calls to other Skype users and land lines. I know Skype to Skype is supported in the contacts view and it looks very easy to launch, but is there a "button" to call a land line through Skype as opposed to cellular?

TIA for any info!!
I dont know about the new N900 device itself, but Skype for Maemo (4) on N810 had a dialer - so you can dial any number - even land lines.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900, pre-release, review, user review