Notices

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I've never managed to do any routing without Internet connection.
But that's not really a proof - if you say so, I will believe so.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Santiago, Chile
ladies & gentlemen, fasten your seat belts..
this is just a huge speculation... BUT on todays Nok Conversations Blog there is a hint of some sort:

Now since I believe Nokia is working on a QT maps application and the N900 has QT widely deployed we might (add my 10% hope) receive the new Nokia Maps with turn by turn....

Why the speculation? Well Nokia did tell us that they are working on it

recent phone / tablett history SE W900, Nokia E65, Nokia N95-8GB / N900

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
I had enough of OVI maps and bought Sygic. Of course probably I did that JUST before free OVI navigation is released....murphy's law as usual....

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
This is not so easy.
The route calculations are done on Nokia servers, so keeping you updated with current data would mean constantly asking for it over the network.
There is no routing logic in the app itself.
This is not true... route calculations are done in the software.

I've just returned from a holiday in Europe, using the maps functionality without an internet connection (they were preloaded before I left). It does get annoying, as it repeatedly asks for a connection, but I just kept denying it.

Originally Posted by CaMason View Post
This is not true... route calculations are done in the software.

I've just returned from a holiday in Europe, using the maps functionality without an internet connection (they were preloaded before I left). It does get annoying, as it repeatedly asks for a connection, but I just kept denying it.
We already figured out that network is required if you want to find a place, so this is why I had an impression that it is required for routing.

Yeah, that's pretty annoying - there seems to be no POI data in the maps when you upload them. All of the road names are stored though.

We were searching for camping sites. We had a camp-site guide book, and a road atlas. I would take the GPS coordinate of the site, calculate it's position on the map, and then (manually) search for the nearest road in Ovi Maps based on the mark in the atlas.

It actually got us out of quite a few tricky situations, even managing to route through Geneva in Switzerland, and helping us navigate avoiding the toll-roads!

The major pain is the lack of automatic recalculation - Every time we took a slightly wrong turn, we'd have to pull-over and search for the destination again, forcing it to recalculate. When it worked, though, the 3D-style view and red-dot follow was helpful.

The battery life sucked, though. I had to have it running on charge with an inverter in the car. It got very, very hot after 30 mins - must be all of the rendering!

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by CaMason View Post
The battery life sucked, though. I had to have it running on charge with an inverter in the car. It got very, very hot after 30 mins - must be all of the rendering!
It seems that's happening with any GPS-using app... if battery lasts more than 30-60 minutes when actively using GPS you're lucky.

And there is another caveat - if you run a very CPU hungry app with backlight on, even the socket charger does not provide enough power to keep the battery from dying.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Please keep in mind, that Ovi Maps was designed for low-end Symbian phones that:
- have not enough storage to hold the whole maps data
- have not enough computing power to do the routing
- have not enough RAM to effectively search through millions of location and POI data
Have you actually used Symbian phones before? I have an E71, I downloaded maps for the whole world ~7GB and stuffed it onto an 8GB card. Everything works fine offline - routing AND searching through POI - no internet connection required.

Can't say the same for maemo ovi maps. It sucks. Search doesn't work even when online - keep getting "Search is not available right now" message all the time.

Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
I have an E71, [...]
That's nice you have a high-end Symbian phone.

I just said Ovi Maps was designed to run on the low-end Symbian phones too.
Later it was upgraded for the high-end ones, but we're stuck with Ovi Maps 1.x on Maemo.