Notices

Originally Posted by gnuite
(My Java roots showing themselves - I meant PATH, not classpath.) Modify /etc/profile to add the following text to the end of the definition of PATH: /var/lib/install/usr/bin
That's the problem. How exactly do I modify /etc/profile? When I try typing that in, it says permission denied (I'm in root).

Originally Posted by lmf
gnuite,
GPX route importing doesn't work for me either.
I also get "Error parsing GPX file"

Can it be because my "actual" position in Maemo Mapper, and the starting position in the gpx file differ?

Just figured out the "Error parsing GPX file" !!!
When I used GPX Driving Directions page, I simple chose "save"... and then placed that xml file on the rsmmc card...
The problem is that the file is a html file... and not the gpx file...
so.. the solution is to copy the output on the browser... and then paste that on a new file...

Originally Posted by ministrillo
Great app

can the maemo mapper show hybrid maps of google?

Thanks
Unfortunately, Google's hybrid maps are not available as downloadable bitmaps, so, short of licensing NavTek's street data, this would be near impossible.

Even the topo maps would be pretty hard to integrate into Maemo Mapper now, as they are based on a completely different map identifier scheme (not X/Y; instead more quadtree-esque). Doable, but since I prefer the street data, I don't think I'll be tackling that problem at the moment.

Originally Posted by lmf
Just figured out the "Error parsing GPX file" !!!
When I used GPX Driving Directions page, I simple chose "save"... and then placed that xml file on the rsmmc card...
The problem is that the file is a html file... and not the gpx file...
so.. the solution is to copy the output on the browser... and then paste that on a new file...
Oh, yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that I optimized that GPX Driving Directions page to work on the Nokia 770's web browser. And for some reason, I had to set the MIME type to text/xml, otherwise it would not save the file correctly, or it would append a ".html" to the filename.

If you use the GPX Driving Directions page on the Nokia 770 and save the result to your device, it should work fine.

I thought everyone was having problems with the integrated Route Downloading in Maemo Mapper itself - is that not the case?

Originally Posted by phillup
And, if you want to make it start out somewhere else... and you don't have a GPS receiver you can do something like this:

Code:
gconftool-2 --type float --set /apps/maemo-mapper/last_longitude -- -115
gconftool-2 --type float -- set /apps/maemo-mapper/last_latitude 45
Yes, this is an acceptable workaround if you don't have a GPS receiver. What I really should have done (and what will be in version 0.2) is to save the last center location as well. Since this project was born around my GPS receiver, though, I didn't think of that.

Fortunately, publicizing the software has opened my eyes to these use cases - I never really thought that so many people would use Maemo Mapper without a GPS receiver! Google Maps does the same thing Maemo Mapper does with a GPS receiver (and much more).

Of course, having said that, I've recently found myself using Maemo Mapper more and more in "GPS Disabled" mode, to download a route, or to demo it to people in my office, or to get a quick map. It [em]is[/em] a lot faster (and arguably more usable on the Nokia 770 screen) than Google Maps.

Version 0.2 will be much more friendly to those without GPS receivers.

Originally Posted by ioan
I played around with the maemo-mapper yesterday and today... and is great!
I tried once to download map along the route, and it did download, but the wrong maps (this is the only problem I saw). Here is the screenshot:

http://www.poze.org/screenshot01.jpg
Did that problem persist after you restarted Maemo Mapper? What is the location (lat/lon would be nice, or just city/state/country) in the screenshot?

Originally Posted by ioan
What I think will be useful in future versions is to be able to mark a point, for example "My House", or "My Office".. etc. Anyway less features means stable application and I prefer stable!

Thanks again gnuite.
Landmarks (similar to Google's "Restaurants near Houston, TX" functionality) are something I want to get into Maemo Mapper, hopefully even incorporating Google Maps' functionality. When that goes in, the ability to add landmarks on the fly should be easy.

The hardest part of allowing the user to add landmarks is going to be organizing them. You can create a landmark GPX file for your home, and one for your workplace (you can actually do this now with single-point Routes), and you can load one with all of the gas stations near you, but if you "Add" a waypoint, which landmark set should it go in? Do you keep track of all loaded landmark files and give the user a right-click menu to choose from? Does it automatically save?

It'll take some thought, and the priority here is UI cleanliness. The menus are already getting pretty full... It was nice back in the day (pre-release) when there were so few menu items that there were no submenus. Now it's requiring more clicks to be useful; I don't really want that trend to continue.

Anyway, a click-and-hold would be appropriate for adding a mark. It's just a matter of data organization and not confusing the user...

Originally Posted by lmf
gnuite,
GPX route importing doesn't work for me either.
I also get "Error parsing GPX file"

Can it be because my "actual" position in Maemo Mapper, and the starting position in the gpx file differ?

Just a few notes:
without a gps, when I restart the program, it always defaults to 0:0 a the previous zoom level... and not the previous manual LAT/LONG selection.
Yeah, I'm going to provide better support in version 0.2 for using Maemo Mapper without a GPS Receiver. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Originally Posted by lmf
It would be nice, in the Maps/download Area, if we could copy the actual view center LAT and LONG with "copy" button.. without having to type the actual numbers...
Hm. I actually meant for those numbers to be selectable, so that you could use copy/paste, although I never tested it because I mostly envisioned them as only being used for general reference (around which you would choose bracketing values). I'll make them copy/pastable at least, though.

Originally Posted by lmf
It would be nice, if the previous inserted values could stay in memory, for example, to set the top-left, and the going to the map, defining the bottom-right, and comming back to the Maps/download Area, and set this final value (without loosing the previous top-left entry).
I can do this, and since you mentioned it, I probably will, although I have to admit I don't see much utility in it. Why download the same area twice?

I'll tell you how _I_ would use the "Download Area" functionality. Use Google Earth to get the lat/lons of an area around you that you want at highest detail (zoom=0). Aim for maybe 10% of your total allocated map space (yeah, I know, it's hard to estimate now, but I'll try to add some better feedback in version 0.2). Download that area.

Then use Google Earth to get the lat/lons of a larger area around you and download that at a higher zoom level (I would skip every other zoom level, to save space, but you don't have to). Repeat the process until you're downloading the whole world (90, -180 to -90, 180) at a relatively-high zoom level, like 10 or 11, and include all the higher zoom levels if you want to show off that "I can zoom out to see the whole world!" effect to your friends.

Doing this gives you the area around you at high detail, for when you're going to parties or gatherings or whatnot, and whenever you travel outside your home area, you still have at least enough level of detail that you could use highways to get around to major cities. Depending on how much space you allocate for your maps, the detail you have outside of your home area will vary.

Of course, everyone should tune their repositories to suit their own needs. Unless, of course, you're one of [em]those[/em] people, who have a cell-phone with data service, and you can just use "Auto-Download" all the time (I'm jealous, can you tell? ).

Another alternative is to slowly build your map repository by downloading maps "by Route" whenever you need to get somewhere. Going to a party? Download the route, download maps along the route at various zoom levels, and you're good to go for the party. Eventually, you'll map the whole world! (Consider it an incentive to travel. )

Originally Posted by lmf
Also, GPX Driving Directions Webpage, uses port 8080.
this makes it impossible to use this feature from certain firewalls/mobile services that only allow port 80...
Unfortunately, my ISP blocks port 80 outgoing, so I can't help that without getting a relatively-expensive port redirector service. Sorry.

But soon there will be hope! For version 0.2 I hope to bypass the GPX Driving Directions page entirely, cutting out the middle man, after which point you would only need to use port-80-touting servers to access driving directions. I could have done it for version 0.1, but the demand for a release meant I had to stop writing new features eventually.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Did that problem persist after you restarted Maemo Mapper? What is the location (lat/lon would be nice, or just city/state/country) in the screenshot?
is downtown portland, oregon. I did it again and had almost same problem.
here is the screenshot:
http://www.poze.org/screenshot00.jpg
and here is the route if you need it for debuging:
http://www.poze.org/office-home.xml

if I just zoom in and out from the keys and scroll around, the map for the same region is downloaded right.

-i

Originally Posted by kutibah
That's the problem. How exactly do I modify /etc/profile? When I try typing that in, it says permission denied (I'm in root).
If you don't have vim to edit the /etc/profile file, copy/paste this sed command into your XTerm:

Code:
sed 's@PATH *=[^/]*@&/var/lib/install/usr/bin:@' /etc/profile > /tmp/profile.new
Use cat to make sure that the new profile (in /tmp/profile.new) looks okay, and if it does, move it to /etc/profile (you should probably back up the original file, just in case!).

Once you move it, test it by typing "source /etc/profile" into XTerm. If an error occurs, restore your backup and then retrying the flite command. Otherwise, retry the flite command to see if it works now. If not, PM me and I'll work you through it, or you can mail your Nokia 770 with a SASE to:

Gimmy Ur. Tabblit
1250 NokiaStealer St.
Bermuda Triangle, NW 12345

(Just kidding, please do not mail your Nokia 770.)

If what I've said confuses you, you might not want to try it, and even if you do try it, do not hold me responsible for any strange gooey substance that may ooze from your Nokia 770's USB port.

I'll look into possibly modifying the PATH environment variable (in Maemo Mapper, not in the installer) to automatically include this path, or I'll just bite the bullet and hardcode the entire path (gulp), or maybe I can provide it as yet another config option in the Settings dialog (grumble... it grows beyond my desires...). Or, my favorite option might be to just change the system() call to just try both flite and /var/lib/install/usr/bin/flite.

Last edited by gnuite; 2006-05-12 at 00:08.

If you don't have vim to edit the /etc/profile file, copy/paste this sed command into your XTerm:

Code:
sed 's@PATH *=[^/]*@&/var/lib/install/usr/bin:@' /etc/profile > /tmp/profile.new
Use cat to make sure that the new profile (in /tmp/profile.new) looks okay, and if it does, move it to /etc/profile (you should probably back up the original file, just in case!).

Once you move it, test it by typing "source /etc/profile" into XTerm. If an error occurs, restore your backup and then retrying the flite command. Otherwise, retry the flite command to see if it works now. If not, PM me and I'll work you through it, or you can mail your Nokia 770 with a SASE to:

Gimmy Ur. Tabblit
1250 NokiaStealer St.
Bermuda Triangle, NW 12345

(Just kidding, please do not mail your Nokia 770.)

If what I've said confuses you, you might not want to try it, and even if you do try it, do not hold me responsible for any strange gooey substance that may ooze from your Nokia 770's USB port.

I'll look into possibly modifying the PATH environment variable (in Maemo Mapper, not in the installer) to automatically include this path, or I'll just bite the bullet and hardcode the entire path (gulp), or maybe I can provide it as yet another config option in the Settings dialog (grumble... it grows beyond my desires...). Or, my favorite option might be to just change the system() call to just try both flite and /var/lib/install/usr/bin/flite.
Sweet! It worked perfectly! Thanks again!