Notices

Descent OGGs available here:

http://home.arcor.de/hbredel/Descent...t-english.html

Hey there, I've been trying endlessly to get this to work... It was a hair tearing experience, I could tell you that. But the solution turned out to be so simple I tore more hair out in angst.

Now I'm running Descent with sweet bilinear filtering - on a phone. One of my milestones of human technological achievements have arrived.

About the solution, it's a bit TL;TR but here goes (summary: watch your data file's names. make sure they're not in caps).

It all started out normally. I dropped my data files, taken from instances of D2X-XL I already have on my PC (and in turn, they came from my old Ubuntu box). All done, I clicked on the D1X icon.

Nothing.

Thankfully, you made the executable generate a log file.

I found out that it says it can't find the descent.hog file which is funny because I already put the files in /.d1x-rebirth/ and /opt/d1x-rebirth/ (in one or another or both, in folders called DATA).

I was about to give up and just freaking buy another set of data files from the GOG download, when it suddenly hit me. The filenames of the data files. They were all in CAPS for god's sakes, and I forgot that *nix places far more importance to case differences then Windows ever did.

So I renamed the files from DESCENT.HOG and DESCENT.PIG to descent.hog and descent.pig, and proceeded to drop the files into /.d1x-rebirth/.

It seemed so trivial at first, but NOW it runs.

Hope it helps someone out there.

Now if it had midi support (or a built in background MP3 player) it would definitely rock.

EDIT: Jukebox? How do you use that?

Last edited by eiraku; 2010-05-14 at 02:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to eiraku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
The screenshots for the savegames are working now and you can take screenshots with Shift-S. You'll find them in ~/.d1x-rebirth/screenshots/ as pcx
Is it possible for some future version to change the folder to something like /home/user/MyDocs/.images/Screenshots, as many people won't know how to access the ~/.d1x-rebirth/screenshots/ folder on Maemo?

Ha! Got music working!

1. Symlink /opt/d1x-rebirth/Music to a directory containing the correctly named OGGs.

2. in /opt/d1x-rebirth/d1x.ini, set -music_ext ogg

3. Play game, leave music settings at MIDI.

4. Enjoy!

Last edited by GameboyRMH; 2010-05-14 at 10:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by eiraku View Post
So I renamed the files from DESCENT.HOG and DESCENT.PIG to descent.hog and descent.pig, and proceeded to drop the files into /.d1x-rebirth/.
Thanks for mentioning this, will add a note to the first post.

Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Ha! Got music working!

1. Symlink /opt/d1x-rebirth/Music to a directory containing the correctly named OGGs.

4. Enjoy!
Wow didn't know that, that rocks indeed, thanks a lot

I'll collect all the Descent music I can find in all the different formats and make a torrent so it'll be easier to get.

Ha! Got music working!

4. Enjoy!
Do define "correctly named OGGs". You mean as they come in the archives from the planet-descent mirror?

And, sorry for being dense, how do I symlink the directories? Would simply dumping the OGGs into /opt/d1x-rebirth/Music/ be okay?

Thanks.

Mmmm, music.

Originally Posted by eiraku View Post
Do define "correctly named OGGs". You mean as they come in the archives from the planet-descent mirror?

And, sorry for being dense, how do I symlink the directories? Would simply dumping the OGGs into /opt/d1x-rebirth/Music/ be okay?

Thanks.

Mmmm, music.
Yeah planet-descent has the right filenames.

You could just dump the music in that folder, but that would eat up your /home space.

So to symlink a directory you just do "ln -s /path/to/target /path/to/link"

So let's say you put your OGGs in ~/MyDocs/.descent_ogg

Then you cd to /opt/d1x-rebirth/ and type:

rootsh ln -s /home/user/MyDocs/.descent_ogg Music

(the rootsh is there since you'll need root permissions)

And that's all there is to it.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Ha! Got music working!

4. Enjoy!

...Back to the topic of MIDI music - for some reason, MIDI music appears to work for me. Yesterday, I installed the version of D1X Rebirth that's currently present in the development repository. Aside from adding the "descent.hog" and "descent.pig" data files to the "/opt/d1x-rebirth" directory, I've done nothing else. I do, however, also have Duke Nukem 3D installed (as Patola mentioned, this package relies on Timidity). The game seems to run fine with the music (I didn't explicitly check the CPU usage, though).

The Following User Says Thank You to Ayodeji For This Useful Post:
Interesting, it's possible that just installing timidity can get the MIDI music running...