Active Topics

Originally Posted by zoner View Post
2-copied 3 files from n900 tools directory to /home/user/kuma..org/bin
3-in /home/user/ directory, run

~ $ kumatux.org/bin/bash kumatux.org/kumatux.org-setup.sh

I get
-sh: kumatux.org/bin/bash: Permission denied
help? chmod? chown?
Make sure you've extracted kumatux.org and the three files to bin under user, not as root.
Code:
chmod 755 kumatux.org/bin/basename
chmod 755 kumatux.org/bin/bash
chmod 755 kumatux.org/bin/dirname
then
Code:
kumatux.org/bin/bash kumatux.org/kumatux.org-setup.sh

The Following User Says Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
which wmctrl
/home/user/kumatux.org-root/0/2/wmctrl

wmctrl --version
error while loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

Sorry about this dependency hell, didn't write this one down either when I compiled:

install libxmu from:
http://kumatux.org/Applications.html

Woohoo it works !!! thank you very much for your time and efforts in helping and creating this, I really like how the dependency are handled with kumatux

Ain't it great! Just think, you don't have to install anything into the root file system...

I have a number of versions of say emacs copied side by side in different directories, then when you want to switch, you just quickly kumatux.org-unlink one and kumatux.org-link another, don't even have to export the .profile, as the link script automatically finds the new available slot in the bin link dir in kumatux.org-links, so the new app is linked where the old one was and boom, you use the new one... Without messing with the system, if anything is wrong, you just unlink the app, and you have a pristine clean system, no trash...

Thanks for reporting the dependencies, at least we got this tracked down, since I compiled and linked everything on a necessity basis, but will keep better track for further apps...

Is it possible to write a script or package it all in a .deb file to do it all in 1 step?

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 739 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ São Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
Yeah, you're missing something man: that's exactly what kumatux.org was designed for, so that you wouldn't install stuff from debs pulling all the dependencies in, potentially messing up your system, removing system parts etc. That's what happens actually in the N900 if you install some sdk, devel stuff etc.

This way, you just extract the compiled package anywhere on your system, you can put it in /media/trash or whatever, and just run kumatux.org-link and can use it.

Sure, you need to take care of the dependencies, like this xbindkeys stuff, but if something goes wrong you don't have a bricked system, you don't need no reflashes, you are guaranteed all system files are untouched and can easily go back via just kumatux.org-unlink

And most stuff I compiled has no dependency hell, this xbindkeys stuff is by far the worst...

Guess, it depends on what you consider suffering. I'm not a beginner in GNU/Linux I'd think, but I had to reflash this damn Nokia more than a hundred times, when I was compiling stuff, installing it into the system, or pulling in SDK dependencies etc. So came up with this super-clean solution, even enabling users without root access to use any app anywhere.

Think it's quite potent, just requires so CLI work, but I think it's well worth it.
Ok, might it is a good idea for a developer or a skilled person, but it is not a good idea for an end-user. An end-user needs integration with the existing tools like app manager and an easy install. For example, I want to run Slingshot in fullscreen. It would be nice if I could install with 1 click for Slingshot and 1 for fullscreen (or maybe only 1 for them both). But no, I have to run several commands that I don't understand. Things were done the way they were done (deb packages, app manager) for a reason, people thought in all this before, you don't need to re-do what they done.
In other words: you've managed to build several nice apps but they need far beyond skills most maemo users have. So, right now, they're not useful to almost everyone here.

EDIT:
And the deb packages aren't supposed to break anything, that's why they go first to extras-devel, then extras-testing and only then extras.

Last edited by traysh; 2010-04-30 at 18:58.

Quit using XZ compression. gzip is where it's at and it makes your packages that much harder to move from device to device, since tar doesn't support XZ out of the box.

Also, any reason you'd be missing GNU MP libs? libgmp.so.3 is a requirement for xbindkeys and I don't see it provided by the packages?

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-05-01 at 02:04.