I've finally succeeded to flash the OS2006 image!!

Is it possible to add in the HOWTO FlashLatestNokiaImageWithLinux file that you have to run the chmod +x flasher-2.0 command?

I mean... It would be good for newbies like me

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Feel free: that's the point of the wiki!

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Virginia Beach, VA USA
Originally Posted by ini_ps
I get this error when trying to upgrade to OS2006

Suitable USB device not found, waiting
Error claiming USB interface: No such file or directory
SW version in image: SU-18_2006SE_1.2006.26-8_PR_MR0
Image '2nd', size 8704 bytes
Image 'secondary', size 87040 bytes
Image 'xloader', size 13824 bytes
Image 'initfs', size 1890304 bytes
Image 'kernel', size 1266560 bytes
Image 'rootfs', size 60030976 bytes
USB device found found at bus 002, device address 004-0421-0105-02-00

Anyone else got the same error?

Thanks in advance
Same error here. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I never had any problem flashing 2005 images with the old flasher. Very disappointed right now b/c I have no other machine to use to flash my 770.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Error claiming USB interface: No such file or directory
I've not seen that when I've flashed, and as I didn't write the bit which does the flashing, it's difficult for me to do anything about it.

Some questions, though:
  • The 770's connected directly to a USB port on the Mac, not through a hub or anything? (It should be connected directly)
  • The 770 hasn't booted completely and the MMC card mounted on the Mac? (It should be sat with a screen showing nothing but the USB icon IIRC)
  • What version of Mac OS X do you have? (I'd say it should be 10.3 or above, but haven't tested on anything below 10.3)
  • You've got a PPC Mac, not an Intel one? (flasher-2.0.macosx is a PPC binary, not sure how well it'll work under Rosetta)
  • What happens if you run it as root?

Any help available will be solely dependent on the amount of information you give, saying "I get this error" is useful, admittedly - but what's the 770 doing? what's the Mac doing? what's the Mac running? etc. etc. are all pertinent questions.

Cheers,

Andrew

Last edited by aflegg; 2006-07-19 at 16:53. Reason: Adding "root" question

Originally Posted by aflegg
I've not seen that when I've flashed, and as I didn't write the bit which does the flashing, it's difficult for me to do anything about it.

Some questions, though:
  • The 770's connected directly to a USB port on the Mac, not through a hub or anything? (It should be connected directly)
  • The 770 hasn't booted completely and the MMC card mounted on the Mac? (It should be sat with a screen showing nothing but the USB icon IIRC)
  • What version of Mac OS X do you have? (I'd say it should be 10.3 or above, but haven't tested on anything below 10.3)
  • You've got a PPC Mac, not an Intel one? (flasher-2.0.macosx is a PPC binary, not sure how well it'll work under Rosetta)

Any help available will be solely dependent on the amount of information you give, saying "I get this error" is useful, admittedly - but what's the 770 doing? what's the Mac doing? what's the Mac running? etc. etc. are all pertinent questions.
770 was completely off, plugged directly into a USB port. OS X version is 10.3.9.

The 770 sits there and does nothing (with the Nokia logo on the screen and the USB icon in the top right corner) when I turn it on and get the error-- the error doesn't occur until I turn the 770 on. Until then, I just have the "Suitable USB device not found..." message.

I've tried running as root and as my user. But the biggest piece of information is that the old flasher and 2005 images worked fine. I've flashed quite a few times with it, including an upgrade to the final 2005 image just last night (before I downloaded the 2006 image, because I was being dumb).

Originally Posted by aflegg

Andrew
I'm also using 10.3.9, the rest is as you name it.

Lord Bodak , I installed it using Ubuntu. Maybe you can do it whith a Live CD, I think there was something about it in this or in another thread.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Lord Bodak
Same error here. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I never had any problem flashing 2005 images with the old flasher. Very disappointed right now b/c I have no other machine to use to flash my 770.
I had the same problem, third try it worked. Follow this:
1) Good connection to Mac, direct to USB port (do not use keyboard or hub) with original Nokia cable.

2) All apps shutdown except for terminal, screen saver/sleep shut off.

3) Card removed from 770 (this is a gotcha!).

The above may just be ritual, but computers are magic, aren't they?

Originally Posted by Odin
I had the same problem, third try it worked. Follow this:
1) Good connection to Mac, direct to USB port (do not use keyboard or hub) with original Nokia cable.

2) All apps shutdown except for terminal, screen saver/sleep shut off.

3) Card removed from 770 (this is a gotcha!).

The above may just be ritual, but computers are magic, aren't they?
Tried all of that, still no luck. As an experiment, I tried flashing a 2005 image using the old flasher, and it worked, first try. Tried 2006 and flasher 2.0 again-- same error.

From those symptoms, it sure seems like there's some sort of bug in the new flasher.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Lord Bodak
Tried all of that, still no luck. As an experiment, I tried flashing a 2005 image using the old flasher, and it worked, first try. Tried 2006 and flasher 2.0 again-- same error.

From those symptoms, it sure seems like there's some sort of bug in the new flasher.
Well, I guess you have probably downloaded again. I used 10.4.7 and there are differences from 10.3.9. We need to ask if anyone was successful with other than 4. That would certainly explain why the earlier one still works--who knows what Nokia is using to develop the Mac apps.

Also, if you are using a Core Duo Mac (Intel), then Rosetta may not be able to handle this.

I did try downloading again-- no change. It's a PPC Mac, so that's not the problem.