Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Since you probably have a little personal interest how about joining the project for lo-jack?

With the C-4 option
Penguinbait said he is not a developer. Let he recompile flite in Spanish.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by yabbas View Post
Debs please pb

Actually - if you could script the entire setting up of another OS on the internal/external card, that would be best
I would love it if you could make a minimal, compact Debian chroot as a .deb. You could even use the same trick that you did for your KDE debs. I'm thinking stripped down Debian install (it doesn't have to boot, just run apps), with a lightweight WM (your choice) that includes some of your GUI hacks (like right-click). We've found that you can use Xephyr to run a second WM over Hildon, but you need wmctrl to keep finding your lost window because Xephyr doesn't show up in the app list.

Bonuses: Abiword and a browser that can do Java (via one of the open source Java implementations) and Flash (via Gnash). Java and Flash plugins should work theoretically (they're in the repos and they install fine), I just haven't managed to get them working yet with any of the browsers (eg epiphany-webkit and konqueror). The most hopeful browser so far has been kazehakase because it is a xulrunner browser that actually runs on the tablet. So far it just crashes on Java sites and it still doesn't show any Flash. I'm sure it's an easy fix, I just don't know what it is.

I really believe that the Debian chroot thing is the closest most of us can get to having an alternate OS on our tablet. The thousands of installable apps are calling to many of us, "come try me!"

The beauty of this system is that it is all hack and no compile.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-06 at 21:35.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I would love it if you could make a minimal, compact Debian chroot as a .deb. You could even use the same trick that you did for your KDE debs. I'm thinking stripped down Debian install (it doesn't have to boot, just run apps), with a lightweight WM (your choice) that includes some of your GUI hacks (like right-click).

Bonuses: Abiword and a browser that can do Java (via one of the open source Java implementations) and Flash (via Gnash). Java and Flash plugins should work theoretically (they're in the repos and they install fine), I just haven't managed to get them working yet with any of the browsers. The most hopeful browser so far has been kazehakase because it is a xulrunner browser that actually runs on the tablet.

I really believe that the Debian chroot thing is the closest most of us can get to having an alternate OS on our tablet. The thousands of installable apps are calling to many of us, "come try me!"

I have tested once and not tried the latest, I agree with you.

I was planning on talking with Johnx and seeing if he would like to create an install package for debian.

Its not off my radar, but I am not sure if I want to get to invoved in the debian project.

We'll see, I am not saying no.. I will try to get the latest version loaded up this weekend and see how it goes.

Last I tried there was no sound and networking was all on the command line. No big deal for me, but many people cannot get anywhere without networking.

If these are working good, I will talk to John and see what he thinks. I do not want to step on any toes
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Last I tried there was no sound and networking was all on the command line. No big deal for me, but many people cannot get anywhere without networking.

If these are working good, I will talk to John and see what he thinks. I do not want to step on any toes
Everything is working, more or less, in the bootable Debian. Johnx's current "beta3" is a real improvement.

That being said, that's not what I want

What I'd like is a nice little Debian chroot .deb so people could run OpenOffice and stuff on their tablets without the nightmare of copying and pasting my second-rate scripts onto their tablet or the hassle of booting into Debian.

EDIT: Here's what I've got so far with getting Flash and Java to run.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-06 at 22:53. Reason: added link to Flash / Java post

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
I would like to see a release of flite with Spanish voice. Male or female, I don't care.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...476#post188476

Thanks.
Well I compiled festival and I loaded it and pointed KDE at it and its working.

The downside is its kind of large, and needs to be located in /home/user

http://penguinbait.com/fest.tgz

untar in /home/user
-----------------------------
cd /home/user

tar zxvf /path/to/fest.tgz

-----------------------------

Open KDE, go to "Control Center"

Click "Regional Settings"

Select "Text-to-Speech"

Click "Talkers" (Tab)

Click "ADD"

Make sure the "Synthesizer" is "Festival Interactive" and

Click OK

Where it says "Festival Executable" put in /home/user/festival/bin/festival

Click "Rescan"

Select the voice you want, Its got more than just spanish

American Female
3 American Males
Canadian English Male
Scottish Male
British Male
Castilian Spanish Male

Click OK (Or you can "test") It sounds like spanish but what do I know

I told you I was listening

FYI, I tried command line and I could not get it to work, but I didn't read anything, and I have not used festival in years. I did test the voices in KDE though, and they are definetly working

FYI, I am unaware of a spanish flite version?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-06-07 at 01:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Now to see if I can make a shell script implementing the more useful bits of flite's interface as /usr/local/bin/flite, and get voices... if it works, I can have MM's turn-by-turn directions as one voice, cyborg voice-in-head as another, and mpd song titles in yet a third...

Hmm... "American Female"? That's real precise, cause, ya know, there's only one accent in the whole US. I guess my curiosity on that point will be one more reason to make stuff work. (I can guess it to be MBROLA us1, but I haven't heard that, so I still don't know...)

It's downloading now, but only 33 kB/s... I'd guess you've got a good swampage of users downloading this.

I'll post a cleaned-up man page, if there's not accessible docs in the tarball. (I expect there are, though...) Well, I didn't see any...

As far as flite; it uses a compiled-in festival voice, kinda. Which is to say, festival voices may be ported; so that Spanish voice could, by porting the scheme code to C, and some other work I don't recall right off, and recompiling, could be used to make a Spanish version...
Attached Files
File Type: gz festival.1.html.gz (1.5 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Benson; 2008-06-07 at 01:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Now to see if I can make a shell script implementing the more useful bits of flite's interface as /usr/local/bin/flite, and get voices... if it works, I can have MM's turn-by-turn directions as one voice, cyborg voice-in-head as another, and mpd song titles in yet a third...

Hmm... "American Female"? That's real precise, cause, ya know, there's only one accent in the whole US. I guess my curiosity on that point will be one more reason to make stuff work. (I can guess it to be MBROLA us1, but I haven't heard that, so I still don't know...)

It's downloading now, but only 33 kB/s... I'd guess you've got a good swampage of users downloading this.

I'll post a cleaned-up man page, if there's not accessible docs in the tarball. (I expect there are, though...) Well, I didn't see any...

As far as flite; it uses a compiled-in festival voice, kinda. Which is to say, festival voices may be ported; so that Spanish voice could, by porting the scheme code to C, and some other work I don't recall right off, and recompiling, could be used to make a Spanish version...
Go figure, the one time I try to trim things down someone asks for the docs.

I slapped the full festival directory, with docs and makefiles and all,

festival
http://penguinbait.com/fest.tgz

festival with docs and all
http://penguinbait.com/festifull.tgz

You can also get them at tablethacker, I will update this post with the urls when I get it uploaded.

festival
http://tablethacker.com/software/fest.tgz

festival with docs and all
http://tablethacker.com/software/festifull.tgz

Last edited by penguinbait; 2008-06-07 at 02:06.

OK; the man page was all I really cared about, but seeing what sounded like a whole built source-tree made me think that trimming a man page would be a waste of time.

I already got it done, though, so now I have no use for the full package .

Next step: make it work. I got a "can't open /dev/dsp"; I seem to remember something about flite being altered to use esd instead of oss, now that I think, so it seems like esound-clients is in order, as discussed here. Do you have such things
(esddsp, specifically) in your system, by any chance? I'm wondering how KDE makes it work...

BTW, I'll drop this in for thread-miners that come after, though if anyone bold adventurers do try it themselves, they really should start a new thread. Make your own voices... It's a quick howto for making a new voice for an existing language, though there's info nearby about making voices from scratch...

Last edited by Benson; 2008-06-07 at 02:52. Reason: add quotes

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
OK; the man page was all I really cared about, but seeing what sounded like a whole built source-tree made me think that trimming a man page would be a waste of time.

I already got it done, though, so now I have no use for the full package .

Next step: make it work. I got a can't open /dev/dsp; I seem to remember something about flite being altered to use esd instead of oss, now that I think, so it seems like esound-clients is in order, as discussed here. Do you have such things
(esddsp, specifically) in your system, by any chance? I'm wondering how KDE makes it work...

BTW, I'll drop this in for thread-miners that come after, though if anyone bold adventurers do try it themselves, they really should start a new thread. Make your own voices... It's a quick howto for making a new voice for an existing language, though there's info nearby about making voices from scratch...
KDE is somehow pumping it through Arts, Arts pumps it through ESD.

If you can get it working please let us know I will play, when I get some more time

Ah, thanks... first efforts with esddsp didn't go right. Still rolling.

Tags
clone, deprecated, gparted, kde, kde35, penguinbait