Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by skunkonkrunk View Post
Do you not think it is? Facebook is perfect on the N900, even Facebook chat works pefectly without having to use a client, and Twitter is perfect on it too. I'd rather have it than anything else, just seems the masses are more interested in the approach of easy to use apps that provide a stripped down and more basic interface for sites like Facebook and Twitter. I feel the same way about Youtube on the N900, why use a shitty little app when the desktop version works perfectly?
A few popular reasons why applets > desktop-designed web page:

- Faster in general
- Consumes less bandwidth
- Less clicks to do what you want
- May have offline mode
- UI optimized for small screen
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by h3llraz0r View Post
If that was the case then why was the whole community waiting for PR1.2? The GPS software is not even close to the one on Symbian phones and I doubt that anyone in this community will develop a free alternative to Ovi Maps.

Nokia's making a mistake by leaving everything to the willful devs because they won't be here forever and those who are waiting for new software won't be getting much now that MeeGo won't be on this phone anymore.
thats because not all people here are developers. Also making updates is a time consuming work. If some company says they are gonna provide updates why make your own if you can wait? Also yes nokia did say they arent releasing meego for n900 but they didnt say we cant install it on n900. I mean come on... You can install android on n900 what makes you think you cant install meego on it? It was just like you bought a computer with vista preloaded then windows released windows 7 and all new computers comes preloaded with it. Would that mean that your old computer cant be upgraded to windows 7? Thats the very essence of open source. Its the sky is the limit. Or should i say hardware is the limit. LOL

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
This argument pops up all the time on forums. It's all about free speech, and understanding what free speech means. The OP is free to start as many threads as he likes about whatever he wants, but similarly I am free to call him a cock if I think he seems like one. Think of it like a pub. In this example hellrazor has wandered into a pub where everyone is watching the football and said 'Hey guys, football's boring isn't it?' 'Hey guys, you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna go to the other pub and watch the cricket' and so on.

Possibly all valid opinions, just as my opinion of him (based on what I've seen so far, that's pretty much how opinions work) is that he is a cock. Which is also a valid opinion.

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
No it definitely is the best way to check out facebook, youtube etc, well in fact the internet in general, but I think it's a bit too geeky/techy for your average non-tech high street consumer.

In a discussion about what fone someone was going to get, someone actually said 'The iPhone is well good, you can get an app that;s like a zippo lighter and you can blow it out and everything...'

It's a bit like computing in general. Microsoft could implement a load of things that would actually make day to day use far more easy/enjoyable, but if you have that ion one OS, and another OS that has an animated cartoon cat running across the tops of your windows(not a feature in any OS, as far as I know...) , fickle joe public will be tempted bu the pretty trinkets..
I agree with everything you said there. I deal with people that actually buy phone on the merits of things like the Zippo app at least five out of every 7 days in a week.

Brother its soul destroying.....

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by skunkonkrunk View Post
Do you not think it is? Facebook is perfect on the N900, even Facebook chat works pefectly without having to use a client, and Twitter is perfect on it too. I'd rather have it than anything else, just seems the masses are more interested in the approach of easy to use apps that provide a stripped down and more basic interface for sites like Facebook and Twitter. I feel the same way about Youtube on the N900, why use a shitty little app when the desktop version works perfectly?
I have to disagree here. Some people seem to repeat mantra "Internet is internet and it should be provided in a way that it was first designed to be provided". Actually some web-pages, even thought they were first introduced as webpage (of course) work much much faster and are easier to use as apps on handheld small touchscreen devices. Itīs insane to try hammer webpage that was designed to be used on at least 1024x768 screen with keyboard and mouse to totally different environment. But then again webpage developers have noticed this and have implemented different webpage layouts for touch phones. So be careful when you rant about "shitty apps". There is simple reasons why majority seems to love them

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
@stopgap
he can has his opinion but please look at the threads he started lately. i think he wants and deserves nothing but ridiculous childish namecalling. what makes you think nokia gave up on the n900? Meego? there is no proof that they gave up on the n900. he thinks it just because they announced that meego is not officialy available for it but who the hell cares? right now i'm kind of satisfied with the (delayed) PR 1.2 and i think even if nokia stops developing for the n900 it will still evolve through the community.

edit:

i'm 23 but call me childish if you like

you should read this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53695
He can have his own opinion and if you don't agree you can use better language. For example you could have typed :

"stopgap, I do not agree with your opinion, I think nokia has not neglected us, cause of :..... blablablabla"
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by slender View Post
But then again webpage developers have noticed this and have implemented different webpage layouts for touch phones. So be careful when you rant about "shitty apps". There is simple reasons why majority seems to love them
Apps with an actual purpose are not the shitty apps people are moaning about...

(Although the mobile facebook/ebay etc interfaces generally lack lots of useful features, hence the big thread hating facebook reverting to the mobile version)

you know, there is a bit of truth in what he is saying. n900 is the best cell ever, it is now, in my opinion. What I'm dreaming about it to have everything I need and this is flash 10x and turn-by-turn. Most likely we would not get those two guys and that annoys me. Nokia product management is of course trying to maximize ROI and focusing on dollars. There is a second thing called 'image' that sometime means dollars. Nokia is trying to find balance between not losing image and getting more money. Nokia did a lot of surveys about n900 and software stuff and I kind of agree that people surveyed forced Nokia to think that n900 users are pleased with what they have. They really are. But Nokia didn't ask the question like 'what if we stop getting new features to n900, would you like it?'. This is about playing with words to get results needed. So Nokia did late pr1.2, made people happy, decreased noise on 'would no support meego' stuff by hiding that under the pr1.2 happyness.

I like my n900, and I understand what the first device could mean. I still miss some features and hate thinking nokia would never release them. but still I like what I have. But what he is trying to mention is, I assume, Nokia will provide Just Enough to us. And we have some impact on what this 'Just Enough' would be. And by saying 'thank you nokia' we are kind of making n900 priority lower and lower for Nokia. I believe we should not accept Nokia would not get turn by turn and voice guidance, and flash 10x. That is something assumed to be included by different n900 users.after that - you are welcome to switch new feature development to MeeGo stuff and Symbian 3 or whatever. Community will port a lot anyway, especially with QT included in pr1.2.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
This argument pops up all the time on forums. It's all about free speech, and understanding what free speech means. The OP is free to start as many threads as he likes about whatever he wants, but similarly I am free to call him a cock if I think he seems like one. Think of it like a pub. In this example hellrazor has wandered into a pub where everyone is watching the football and said 'Hey guys, football's boring isn't it?' 'Hey guys, you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna go to the other pub and watch the cricket' and so on.

Possibly all valid opinions, just as my opinion of him (based on what I've seen so far, that's pretty much how opinions work) is that he is a cock. Which is also a valid opinion.
Good example but in this case we have broken record and IRL normally people who join group of people having conversation and start talking, talking (not listening) and talking are normally thrown out of pub by friendly group of fellows or they are said to STFU and said to try a bit different way of persuading people. Itīs just so terrible when you are having good argument or conversation with people and then one "i know it all" guy joins and starts ranting about everything. I have done it sometimes but after other guys give me couple of evil eyes I understand that now iīm just making clown of myself.

Here in the Pipes itīs bit hard to give some notation to some keyboard warrior that he might be just making clown of him/herself and probably best way to handle situation is to give little ban. Beautiful thing in banning people (Yes i have been also banned couple of times on some finnish forums) is that it makes you really think what you are typing next time. You might be even right on what you are saying but way of saying things is quite often more important. Try different ways to explain and how you see it. Of course we all have bad days, but IMO strict but fair moderation is what grown up people need sometimes and this pub moderation mentality here is not good for noise

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Here is a picture I'd call "Nokia and the community"

Let's briefly analyze it...

- Nokia and the community are joined at the hips... inseperable, both need each other to coexist in this form..

- Nokia is standing on thin ice... yet they don't acknowledge it and still try to show off their best form for everyone to see

- Nokia appears a bit old fashioned... yet clean, composed and dignified

- Nokia seems to be slowly screwing the community, but community seems to be enjoying it none the less
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Closed Thread