i took n900 with lotta excitement but was terribly disappointed with the GPS. It really sucks big time. My 5800 XP with free turn by turn is amazing..with voice guided nav and gets lock within a min. where as n900 even on downloading map needs connection and very hard to get a lock from my car unless i am at home on a wifi-connection. Very upsetting indeed !

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
Instead of grabbing your N95, you could have used maeMaps :-)
Does MaeMaps have offline maps?

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mannheim
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The internet connection is used for AGPS (basically a method to get a lock-on faster).

However, I believe there's a bug that makes the GPS useless without AGPS (even if you stand outside in the middle of a field all day long waiting for a signal) right now.
Can confirm this. Waiting for a GPS Signal take much longer than usual.
And it's not very precise.

Using maeMaps will make you broke..with the amount of data transfer you do unless you have unlimited plans. But anyways i will still prefer to have my gps device working offline without the need to rely on data connection.

I don't know what you're belly aching about. I can use my Ovi maps on the N900 with no issues and get to my destination without a problem.

It follows me up the road, the screen is no way near small compared to a tom tom, either sort some glasses or zoom the map in so you can see where you're going.

I can even pick up a gps signal inside my house. And NO it does not require Wifi to start up either.

Another thread moaning about something that can be easily over come with a bit of fiddling.

Meh, I think even the N810 GPS was more useful, and I have been quoted to say it was useless. The N900 map software has lost it's way.

Originally Posted by teh View Post
I don't know what you're belly aching about. I can use my Ovi maps on the N900 with no issues and get to my destination without a problem.

It follows me up the road, the screen is no way near small compared to a tom tom, either sort some glasses or zoom the map in so you can see where you're going.

I can even pick up a gps signal inside my house. And NO it does not require Wifi to start up either.

Another thread moaning about something that can be easily over come with a bit of fiddling.

I think you need to see what ovi maps 3 has to offer. Then you will release wht you are missing here.

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Suffolk
I get a gps lock on my N900 in seconds rather than minutes, even indoors, so no problems there for me.

However the hardware is let down by the appallingly bad Maps software, I find myself having to dust off and use my N95-2 with Garmin XT installed when I need to use navigation.

I long for something like the Garmin app on my N900...

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Meh, I think even the N810 GPS was more useful...
I agree. We all knew that the N810 had poor GPS, and were led to believe that this was because it used an older chipset. Naturally I assumed that the N900 would be better.

It sounds like the N900 GPS works OK for folks with an always-on data connection, but that's not possible for me.

For me, the three let-downs of the N900 are the small screen size, poor battery life, and the GPS.

Regards,
Roger

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
the only thing of not connecting in offline mode makes gps on n900 utterly useless.