Notices

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
The downside to TightVNC is that you can't use it to log in to Windows.

I only use VNC to perform functions on my pc, ie download something or email myself a file, etc.

Mostly, I like to know that my PC isn't sitting there logged in while I'm away.

In any case, very cool, good find.

|||EDIT
<Sigh>
Well, I just tried it on my Vista64 machine........

I tried to install it by itself (to see if it works with UltraVNC), and I got a crazy error.

I re-installed TightVNC, then tried to install it again, and got the same crazy error.

...strange, that it says it's Vista64 compatible.

Oh, well.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-09-01 at 03:15.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Tight VNC let's me log in just fine so I'm not sure what you mean by this.

When I fire up VNC Viewer on the tablet, I'm greeted to my Windows Log in Screen.

I type my password and then it loads up to the Desktop.

With Mirage Driver for TightVNC, it actually played Chrono Trigger on the desktop extremely well!

All I did was double clicked on that install file and it added a new video device driver in my Display Adapter under Device Manager. I'm using Windows XP by the way.

Total bummer it's not working on your end. Hopefully you can problem solve the trouble either by reading their homepage or by asking around. The difference is tremendously considerable! You'll be absolutely stoked if you can get it working!

Well, I'm going to install my CD game Phantom of the Opera on my Desktop tomorrow which requires a 30,000 cycle speed in Dosbox to play correctly. I'll post back on how well I got it running through VNC Viewer.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Didn't see this mentioned before in the thread unless I missed it.

TightVNC plus Mirage Driver for TightVNC is instant win!
Recommended Add-ons
Hey, but doesn't TightVNC already come with a mirror video driver? I know it didn't work for me, but I assumed that was because I'm running stupid 64bit Vista..... I'm pretty sure I saw an option for it...........

Read the very bottom of this page:
Tight VNC

Doesn't look like it comes with the add on but I could be wrong.

I need to head off to bed for now.

About not being able to log in to Windows, ukki actually helped me set up the entire application and didn't follow your instructions that you posted.

Not sure if this will help you, since I don't know what it means, but I'll post it anyway.

Cheers!

I need to head off to bed for now.

About not being able to log in to Windows, ukki actually helped me set up the entire application and didn't follow your instructions that you posted.

umm.... I don't get it.

UltraVNC lets me login via the windows login screen, whereas with TightVNC, I cannot. I get disconnected outside of the windows environment, even tho I have it running as a service.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb.

We are talking about this log in screen, correct?

If I find time tomorrow, I'll send you some screenshots of my router settings and maybe that will help.

Tight VNC let's me log in just fine so I'm not sure what you mean by this.

When I fire up VNC Viewer on the tablet, I'm greeted to my Windows Log in Screen.

I type my password and then it loads up to the Desktop.

With Mirage Driver for TightVNC, it actually played Chrono Trigger on the desktop extremely well!

All I did was double clicked on that install file and it added a new video device driver in my Display Adapter under Device Manager. I'm using Windows XP by the way.

Total bummer it's not working on your end. Hopefully you can problem solve the trouble either by reading their homepage or by asking around. The difference is tremendously considerable! You'll be absolutely stoked if you can get it working!

Well, I'm going to install my CD game Phantom of the Opera on my Desktop tomorrow which requires a 30,000 cycle speed in Dosbox to play correctly. I'll post back on how well I got it running through VNC Viewer.
It's a problem with the service. It runs as a service, but then doesn't work outside of the windows environment.

TightVNC service + vista64 =

whereas, the ultravnc service works fine. and as i've said previously, I am unable to install a 32 bit windows on this pc.

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-09-01 at 04:08.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb.

We are talking about this log in screen, correct?

If I find time tomorrow, I'll send you some screenshots of my router settings and maybe that will help.
My router settings are fine. If they weren't, it wouldn't work with UltraVNC.

Ah HA!

There's an update coming to the main post, involving a multi-windows-platform WORKING mirror driver for UltraVNC (I'm also going to work in everything we've learned here).

Last edited by JayOnThaBeat; 2009-09-01 at 17:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:

Tags
ssh tunnel, vnc, windows