Active Topics

Using the cable assembly spec'ed by the OP, I used a sharp knife to remove the insulating jacket from about one inch of the cable in the middle and to also remove the insulation from the black and brown wires (again as spec'ed by the OP). A quick solder bridge and a little electrical tape and everything worked great. For those looking for the minimum additional length, consider these items from www.cyberguy.com

131-0598 A male to mini B male (eight inches)
plus
131-0934 A female to A female

or for an even shorter chain try
131-0589 USB ADAPTER AM/B MINI 5-PIN M

consider these items from www.cyberguy.com

131-0598 A male to mini B male (eight inches)
plus
131-0934 A female to A female

or for an even shorter chain try
131-0589 USB ADAPTER AM/B MINI 5-PIN M[/QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------

So if i buy that combo, I will be able to hook up a usb flash drive and the n810 will recognize it? awesome. what is the biggest flash drive that the unit will read? 16gb? or the new 32gb?? or the unlimited budget 64gb thumb drive???

looking at this:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...vable%20Drives

or a pair of these:
http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp...i_sku=37540967

they both say they support linux, but does that mean it would work with the linux run on these tablets?

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
I think an earlier poster mentioned this, but just to confim that it works for me: the easiest and cheapest (although not the shortest) option seems to be to buy an A-female to A-female gender changer and then use the cable that came with the device. As this is not a host mode cable you need to start an Xterm, become root and say:

Code:
echo host >/sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
to tell the software to work in host mode (you can set it back to otg mode in the same way later).

As the OTG spec invented the concept of switching modes, presumably someone will actually start selling a real OTG host mode cable with a micro connector and an A-female connector sometime. Until then, this works well enough for me.

Graham

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
I think an earlier poster mentioned this, but just to confim that it works for me: the easiest and cheapest (although not the shortest) option seems to be to buy an A-female to A-female gender changer and then use the cable that came with the device. As this is not a host mode cable you need to start an Xterm, become root and say:

<snip>
It's even easier (for me) to go to the Wiki (PLEASE use the Wiki) and get
Mara's stuff to switch.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._using_OS_2008
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bilofsky View Post
It doesn't recognize my Simpletech Bonzai SD flash drive, using any number of SD cards, formatted on the PC or in either of my cameras. I'll get another SD flash drive and try it.
No success with a SanDisk MobileMate SD+ reader either.

Is anyone using an SD card to USB thumb drive that works in host mode?

Confirmed: Simpletech Bonzai does not work with n800 - tried various Sd cards. My generic SD card reader doesnt work either.

Dedicated flash sticks work fine. Maybe not enough power for the SD readers?

The very small micro SD reader from fruper.com (and I've seen it from Meritline) works fine. I use it instead of plugging in the N810 directly.

The 1GB USB flash drive from microcenter also works.

Originally Posted by petergunn View Post
Maybe not enough power for the SD readers?
My MediaGear MGXC-100 CF reader works, and there's enough power to light its LED.

Do SD readers need more power?

Spent a rather frustrating hour trying to get this to work. I have both a n800 and a n810 and am using the factory included micro and mini usb cables in conjunction with a A Female <-> A Female gender changer.

I am becoming root and then echo host> /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode to put each device into host mode. I then plug in my cable and on my n810 nothing happens, except I have to reboot or echo otg> yadayada to get my n810 back into otg mode. On my n800 I am able to get a thumbdrive working, so I know hostmode is working on my n800 at least. When I plug my WiSpy in and start spectool_gtk I can select my WiSpy from the device list but the application freezes and then causes my n800 to reboot 5-10 seconds later. Any ideas?

The wispy (or the USB layer) is unstable - I'm using it in OTG mode and I have it plugged in before I startup spectool, but it still sometimes locks up.

You can try the flash drives in a powered hub. I've had success and failure with different drives - my belkin (which also works with the ipod camera connection) works with a CF, but I have a $5 SD reader which won't.

But a microSD flash drive (DealExtreme.com has them) works fine and I usually use it to transfer files instead of using the longer nokia cable.

Also note that the autoswitch for OTG may be more (or less) reliable with a particular drive or device. I'm generally using the modified micro to mini adapter.