Notices

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
No, he's the original author of Stellarium, he can license his own code however he feels. Don't be a prick and take that package down.
No, he can change the license of Stellarium after he has removed all the code made by others. Or he needs a agreement with the additional developers.

I don't like piracy, I don't like ovi and I also don't like developers who trickery other dedicated developers.

So it is a hard decision for me what I should hate the most.

But the fact is, if the source is not in the ovi package there must be a way to ask for the source and download it. I can't see a button at Ovi to ask for the source. Is there a Button in the Application or a Textfile in the package?
Or is Nokia indeed so arrogant that they are ignoring the License?

In this case, is it okay because it's Nokia?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Whether they do or don't, I am not personally worried.
I see what you did there (basically, you just said: "So sue me").

Why do you add "_who bought it_"? The GPL allows anyone to redistribute it (by following the requirements of the GPL). Nothing abour having to buy it first.
The GPL allows anyone WHO GOT THE BINARY (and thus the source) to redistribute it to ANY third party.
If by some miracle ALL of the people who bought it in the Ovi Store, and received a copy of source, decided not to redistribute the binary... no one who hadn't bought it could get the binary or the source.
So, I hope you bought it (or got it from someone who bought it).

What I was trying to say there is that after any buyer decides to publish it (with source) to everyone, then the binary will be available to everyone. But i'd expect rates of legal freeloading similar if not slighty increased to the usual piracy rates of the Ovi Store, so the author will still make some money.

Why third-party built binary? By the GPL. Anyone may redistribute the original binary.
EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood question. Yes, anyone (again, who got it) might redistribute the original binary.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-10-23 at 15:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
You are missing the third option: if Ovi Store is violating the GPL by distributing it, then you are doing it too. No excuse, and you are as liable as Ovi (but also will have a harder time finding good lawyers!!).
Then so is this forum for providing the means to distribute...

The first step is to report the need take it down.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-23 at 15:39.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Actually, having some experience with Stellarium, I can tell you that there was an effort to offer the main developer (Fabien) a closed source license from all the developers precisely so he COULD sell Stellarium Mobile and some of his own personal enhancements and make a living after his current contract ended.

I believe that every developer with code, except one holdout, was ready to extend that license to him. The only holdout was someone with only trivial code, IIRC, so I imagine that Fabien might have replaced those commits with his own and Stellarium Mobile might very well be closed source, for the time being.

Here's my source:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...arium-pubdevel

Last edited by mmurfin87; 2010-10-23 at 15:40. Reason: added source

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
This is a great little application and it's a bargain for less than the price of a pint. I sort of regret giving my niece my telescope now... not that you can see much in London.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Matan made a very bold move here. I don't agree with literally posting the package here, but I do agree to a certain extent with the point he's trying to make.

I will gladly pay the 3 euros once the facts are cleared up. I haven't even tried Stellarium Mobile yet, but it sounds promising.

But if one developer of stellarium still wanted to be under GPL, then OVI store or Fabien are committed to share the source, and Matan has every right to share it too.

Of course, if Fabien replaced the code with his own, then he alone can own the source (if he wants) and has every right to sell it.

But the facts should be cleared up once and for all. This has caused enough confusion as it is. And I don't like watching two of the most respected developers arguing..(it's like watching your parents fight).

IMO Matan should remove the package..at least until the real facts are brought to life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Aren't we all overlooking a fourth option?

According to the rules Nokia can "make available" the submission.

So potentially, the app being sold in Ovi, is being sold by Nokia, with all profit going to Nokia, and none to Fabien. Additionally, Nokia can give the source/app to whoever they want, including in PR1.3 if they wanted to as a default app.

In terms of encouraging developers, someone else distributing the source/app doesn't help. Any site/server owners are certainly free to prevent hosting it / linking to it on their site. That doesn't necessarily make what Matan has done "wrong", morally ambiguous, perhaps.

Not to excuse this, but let's not forget the Fabien has already gotten $25,000 for this app. Does anyone know if he shared any of these funds with the others that contributed portions of code to "his" app? If the app is being sold as GPL, then presumably at least one of the code contributors refused to re-license their part of the code, and apparently it wasn't code that could easily be removed. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that.

If it were me, I would've either insured that the code licensing was such that I could sell it without fear of others "legally" re-distributing it (and cutting into my sales) or I would've asked for donations instead. I'm sure that everyone here who purchased it, would've happily and promptly made a donation had it been distributed in that format.

Wouldn't it be better for FOSS in the long run if everyone donated directly to programmers instead of through app stores where part of the price goes to a corporation?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Wouldn't it be better for FOSS in the long run if everyone donated directly to programmers instead of through app stores where part of the price goes to a corporation?
Now that is topic worth discussing. Some background; "Donations are not simplified and not enough emphasized". More recently, Flattr has been discussed as one way of donating for FOSS. Donations are also discussed in MeeGo context, see MeeGo User Engagement Framework Project and a related forum thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
While I might have harder time finding a good lawyer, a potential adversary might have a harder time finding me, and will surely have a harder time enforcing any financial ruling, if and when.
you know, you try to pretend you're defending free software and the ideals of the GPL and all that.
in the end, you're just a troublemaker who knowingly breaks the GPL just to attract attention and, in the end, makes everyone lose. (and i'm not talking about potential losses fabien or ovi might have; i'm talking about the fact that both nokia and developers may be watching what happens to stellariumobile now and how one could make free software and ovi compatible. you're not being helpful at all.)

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Can I ask (not sure if anyone would know)

Does Fabien get ANY of the money

Why is it 3 dollars if your in America ?
Why is it 3 pounds if you are in the UK ?
Why is it 3 euros if you are in the rest of Europe ?

Who set the price, Stellarium full desktop version is completly free, so is the more portable version we have had (probably the same version as the full desktop version) and the iphone app is free also

If this is purely Nokia making money then isnt that wrong ?

I would rather Fabien put a paypal option on his own website to sell the mobile version and not just have it in Ovi

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpl pirate :)