Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by bizshop View Post
It appears that the Opera dir is now hidden. So to get to the opera.ini, use
vi ~/.opera/opera.ini

It's always been
/.opera/opera.ini
on my N800. I posted a copy from the update in the update thread today.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
The only thing that would be better is to make every link open an new window so I'd never have to use the back button.
if you find the line in /home/user/.opera/input.ini in the [Browser Widget] section that says

Enter = Open link & Activate element

and change it to

Enter = Open link in background page

it will open the link in a new window when you click on it with the center dpad button. probably it is the same as if you set it to

Enter = Open link in new page

as the new window still covers the one you were reading. I think this is in the window manager rather than opera, and sadly can't find a workaround to shift the previous page/window back to the top. wouldn't tabs be handy?

I'm still looking for the key spec for the input.ini file to implement this behavior for a stylus tap on the link. tried 'tap' and 'button1' already as per google results. any hints?

rob.

hi, do myspace and facebook work on n800? i know if a site has an embedded mp3, sometimes, it would slow down. however, now that n800 supports flash 9, i guess its different?

thanks

Facebook works. I haven't really tried myspace on the N800.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
Not too sure if this question should be going here in "Opera Tips" or if it should have a seperate topic.

I would like to change the default DNS numbers that the N800 (from my ISP?) uses and instead use the DNS numbers from OpenDNS so that I can use my shortcuts on the OpenDNS service.

I've done that on my Windows XP machines but have no idea how to do it on the N800.

Could someone point me to the file(s) that I'd have to edit to specify the two OpenDNS numbers please?

Thankx in advance for any help you can pass along.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Aliso Viejo, CA
Originally Posted by SkwrHdz View Post

I would like to change the default DNS numbers that the N800 (from my ISP?) uses and instead use the DNS numbers from OpenDNS so that I can use my shortcuts on the OpenDNS service.

Could someone point me to the file(s) that I'd have to edit to specify the two OpenDNS numbers please?
You can configure a custom DNS in your saved connections:
In the Connectivity in the Control Panel, choose "connections" > "Edit" (a saved connection > "Next" > "Next" > "Advanced" > "IP Addresses" tab > uncheck "Auto-retrieve DNS" and plug-in OpenDNS's numbers.

I also use it and recommend it.

Dylan

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada
Originally Posted by db3d View Post
You can configure a custom DNS in your saved connections:
In the Connectivity in the Control Panel, choose "connections" > "Edit" (a saved connection > "Next" > "Next" > "Advanced" > "IP Addresses" tab > uncheck "Auto-retrieve DNS" and plug-in OpenDNS's numbers.

I also use it and recommend it.

Dylan
Thanks Dylan. I followed your instructions and got the new OpenDNS addresses inserted.

It looks like I have to go through those steps for each hot-spot. Is there a place to enter it globally so that it will apply to all new connections?

Another question: Can you get your OpenDNS shortcuts to work from your N800? They work fine from my main W-XP computer but even though I'm logged into OpenDNS on the N800 my shortcuts don't work when I enter them in the N800. Any ideas?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
Originally Posted by SkwrHdz View Post
It looks like I have to go through those steps for each hot-spot. Is there a place to enter it globally so that it will apply to all new connections?
the standard unix file for this is /etc/resolv.conf. it appears that the current configuration is to point to localhost (127.0.0.1), which then probably goes to dnsmasq. I think you can only specify 2 nameservers, , so you might experiment with putting the opendns ip(s) before/after 127.0.0.1. the format is

nameserver <ip>
nameserver <ip>

you can also hard code specific ips into /etc/hosts, allowing connections without going through the dns and also nicknames for the host.

rob.

Don't remove the 127.0.0.1 line in resolv.conf. it will swich off the dnsmasq.

Instead, just add other dns servers, dnsmasq will use these after a restart.

Im using Xterm to try and change setting in Opera.
I keep getting a messgae saying not found
What do I type in Xterm to get tothe setting?
I have been using:
vi ~/.opera/opera.ini

or vim ~/.opera/filename.ini

Thanks