Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm thinking that in many cases stability correllates with number of users.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Also, a lot of servers with instability issues are just plain buggy or really really old. The server I'm using is being used with up to 16k users reliably so I think we should be fine.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
I'm running OS2008 on my N800 now (RX-44_2008SE_1.2007.42-18_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin), and up until yesterday, was using Pidgin 2.2.2 for my AIM/Y!/MSN/ICQ/GTalk. I'm familiar with Pidgin, run it on multiple Sun and Linux workstations, so it was natural that I jumped on it for the N800.

Honestly... I'm really impressed with ZeroJay's efforts on Jablet.org. I like the integration of messenging and contacts with Maemo's built-in Jabber client than Pidgin's. I was having issues with my transports yesterday, which seem to have started when I first used Spark on my Ubuntu box to register services on Jablet.org, but ZeroJay helped me re-register my transports last night and test them.

My thanks to Texrat and ZeroJay for their efforts and hard work on Jablet.org! For others wondering about "taking the plunge" and using Jabber over Pidgin, I have to admit, jablet.org is a pretty nice one-stop solution. ...THANKS!

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
As a side note, I have to strongly discourage the use of Spark on our server. I attempted to use it yesterday and I found that it DOES NOT pull your rosters from the IM services whatsoever.

I find this behavior very odd considering that Spark is made by the same company behind Openfire, our Jabber server software.

We've got more stuff on the way with a goal of giving you a central way of using your tablet. Oooh, there's another new idea popping into my head.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
i love you guys

The Following User Says Thank You to kingka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by kingka View Post
i love you guys

I love these guys too...
so who do we make the check out to (Jablet donations?), or when are we buying the Jablet folks a couple rounds of beer?

I was going to set up a small organization (ldug) for donations, etc, but I'm feeling kinda stymied by the complexity right now. I was hoping there would be some sort of "low impact" option but I'm not finding one. So maybe donate to some Canadian charity in Jay's honor.

Is there any reason we can't throw a paypal donations button on the homepage?

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Is there any reason we can't throw a paypal donations button on the homepage?
Indeed, you could set up a paypal account using something like paypal@jablet.net or @ldug.net for people to donate to. Or use zero/tex's personal beer paypal account

There's no reason we can't, zero-- I was looking for a way to set it up neutrally so that all principals had equal access and responsibility, rather than relying on one person's paypal account. There may still be a way to add a shared paypal account-- I'll find out.

Oh, and book shipment delayed again, this time by USPS. They didn't like the box I reused that said "battery" on the outside (grrr...). So I gotta repackage. Plus it was over a certain weight limit that catapulted the package into the $$$ zone, so I'm gonna try leaving the Exchange book out to see if it comes down. Not that you're not worth it, you understand.