Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I'd really like to see the evidence that it's a "more natural layout" ... Please tell me what aspect ratio is defined by the average human's visual envelope? The only experiment I remember ever doing along these lines didn't say to me "oooh! 16x9! our eyes are so much better suited to 16x9!".

And, who cares if it's what every tv monitor these days is doing? I care about the device footprint, and a screen that fits the device footprint. Since "watching TV shows and Movies" isn't on my list of intended uses for the device, why do I care about what the current trend is in that regard?

If I was going to make this a portable workstation instead of a portable server, you'd get more mileage out of trying to make a portrait display of paper-like proportions ... than a landscape display of movie like proportions. That way it would at least feel more like working on an actual document.
Wide screen does better suit the devices footprint, to get the same width with a non widescreen the EEE would have to be made deeper, non widescreen laptops always felt huge, as their depth had to be so large to cater for the display. Even n810 wide screen, think of that as 4:3 ratio screen how unpocketable it would be.

I dropped non wide screen monitors a long time ago, wide screen is just a hell of alot better to use and great for movies. Don't care about the current trend well thats fine, keep living in the past.

a laptop is not a competitor. I have an ASUS EEE PC 701 w/ ubuntu on it w/ xfce as my wm, its a great primary computer for everything but media storage and hardcore gaming. Plays tremulous so im happy.

THUS, IT ISN'T A COMPETITOR.

I'm buying a n800 to fill the gap between computer and no computer when it comes to portability... I also have dreams to someday develop for devices such as the NIT's...

Originally Posted by scumgrief View Post
a laptop is not a competitor. I have an ASUS EEE PC 701 w/ ubuntu on it w/ xfce as my wm, its a great primary computer for everything but media storage and hardcore gaming. Plays tremulous so im happy.

THUS, IT ISN'T A COMPETITOR.

I'm buying a n800 to fill the gap between computer and no computer when it comes to portability... I also have dreams to someday develop for devices such as the NIT's...
It's not a competitor for you; it is a competitor for some people.

A weak competitor to be sure, but my N800 replaced my laptop; I have fairly ubiquitous network access so I can remote access my desktop. This makes it capable of doing everything my laptop was used for, although some things are slightly less convenient.

So I bought an N800 to fill the same gap between computer (i.e. desktop or chunky desktop replacement laptop that I've no interest in) and no computer that my (aging) laptop used to fill, as a cheaper and more portable upgrade than a new laptop.

An eee could also be a companion as well as competitor for me, but it was a competitor when I was researching what to buy.

plus this forum is pretty much just for any other device, since they all compete for our $$$

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
An eee could also be a companion as well as competitor for me, but it was a competitor when I was researching what to buy.
That's right; it might not be a direct competitor in a true sense, but it is definitely related (like a distant cousin):

For one thing, the Eee is a highly mobile device running Linux, and runs it with great media fanfare and commercial success, which means that just like the Tablets it advances the cause of Linux (probably to a much greater degree than the Tablets have, in fact).

I think I need an Eee companion myself, to increase my productivity, because the Tablets don't have very good Japanese text input, nor anything like a full OpenOffice suite. I will keep using my 770 for casual reading, browsing and internet radio until the day it dies on me, but an Eee (especially now that it gets a 9 inch screen) just seems like a better mobile workstation, at least for my special needs.

Last edited by Drewvt; 2008-03-29 at 13:42.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
It's not a competitor for you; it is a competitor for some people.

A weak competitor to be sure, but my N800 replaced my laptop; I have fairly ubiquitous network access so I can remote access my desktop. This makes it capable of doing everything my laptop was used for, although some things are slightly less convenient.

So I bought an N800 to fill the same gap between computer (i.e. desktop or chunky desktop replacement laptop that I've no interest in) and no computer that my (aging) laptop used to fill, as a cheaper and more portable upgrade than a new laptop.

It sorta was a competitor but I realized that I need a computer and a Nokia IT. Its simple, PC is my semi-portable base; but i usually don't stay in one spot so I find a lappie inconvenient during the day so I need a nokia n800 since internet terminals are somewhat scared... not to mention insecure.

Cheers

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
/* totally off topic - but hey

Personally I would LOVE to have a Portrait TFT sized monitor - but no-one is making that - I simply don't get why.
Several Dell monitors can rotate so if your video adapter software can also rotate the image (most can) then you can have a portrait mode screen.

My wife has an UltraSharp 2007FP that rotates - it is a nice monitor and pricey, but I think that you get what you pay for. I would like two of them side-by-side in portrait mode ...

That was mentioned, but "image quality" was said to suffer. I don't know of any other effects, but viewing angle gets wrecked: Ordinarily, screens are designed for wide horizontal viewing angle, so people (all approximately the same height) may gather around one display, or one person can move around on their wheely-chair. That's a tradeoff against vertical viewing angle, of course, so when you rotate, now the spider on the ceiling and the mouse on the floor can read clearly, but you start having trouble if you move a foot to the side. Not so good.

My preference would be one with symmetric viewing angle and rotatability...