Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Finland
First, I want to tell that I'm really excited about gpodder. To be able to have podcasts update automatically over wlan to my n810 is something I've wanted from day one.

To make sure you keep up the good work, I made you a donation. Thanks.

BUT: I'm somewhat confused about this new version. I uninstalled the earlier gpodder I had and installed the new one from maemo.gpodder.org. Application manager says it's 0.11.1+svn-maemo15.

But it doesn't look like the screenshots at all. Preferences screen still looks like corrupt, there's no Add podcast window but a textfield instead (and it doesn't add anything).

There's no /media/mmc2/gpodder directory and the startup icon in the menu doesn't work.

Is there something wrong with the install link or did I make a mistake in the installation?

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Hello, samikki and thanks for the donation!

The new gPodder (any version that was published) should always create the /media/mmc2/gpodder folder. If there is no /media/mmc2/gpodder folder after you have started gPodder, you probably have the wrong version installed (maybe the 0.8-based, old version?).

If you are trying to start gPodder from the command line, you have to use the "--maemo" switch to enable the Internet Tablet-specific changes (this is because we keep in sync with upstream, so bug fixes in upstream are automatically available in the maemo port and vice versa).

Your best bet is probably to try starting gPodder from the command line (osso-xterm) like this: "gpodder --maemo". If it doesn't work out, you have a wrong version installed (you might try to find out with "gpodder --version"). In that case, please remove all gPodder packages that you have on your tablet and re-install by clicking on the green "install" button on http://maemo.gpodder.org/

Just ask again if you can't get it working (and post the output from the above commands, if any), we'll fix that

I wanted to mention that a locally saved opml file (aka podcast/subscription backup) can be imported by going thru the import from web steps, then after you're presented with a list of suggested podcasts from gpodder site, change the http address to point to your local file eg: /home/user/Mydocs/.documents/podcasts.opml and then click download.

Going back to OS2007, gpodder has frequently popped up warnings that it wasn't responding while adding feeds. For new users, should this happen to you, my experience has been that gpodder has almost always corrrected itself and ''responded' if left alone.

However, while just now experimenting with importing local file, I think I fiinallyy managed to frak it up.... I had to restart and after doing so saw that it got my first 5 subs and aavailable eps. Perhaps would have completed if left longer, but it reeally did seem to have died.

Anyway, iss it posssible to have it onnly add/subscriibe, but not update when importing and adding, + have an option to select a single podcast to update?

Good example why this would be helpful are the npr and cnn hourly podcast updates.

Thanks!

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
Originally Posted by adammelancon View Post
I can't get it to not automatically check for new episodes on startup. Also, it would be cool if there was a way to only check for updates on one show as a menu selection. Sometimes i'm in a hurry to leave for work, and there is only one show that i know is updated and i want to download. Thanks for a great port!
Looks like I was mistaken on the updating on startup, it was just loading the already downloaded episodes. Everything is working just fine now.
Now if I could find a way to update the episodes faster. It feels like it takes FOREVER to update the feed to Buzz Out Loud along with a few other shows.
http://www.cnet.com/i/pod/cnet_buzz.xml

I wish there was a way to have it only check the last 10 episodes of a feed instead of the whole archive within some of these feeds.

Thanks for the excellent work on the new version of Gpodder!

I'm not sure what's changed yet, but there's a new update available.

Originally Posted by thp View Post
Your best bet is probably to try starting gPodder from the command line (osso-xterm) like this: "gpodder --maemo". If it doesn't work out, you have a wrong version installed (you might try to find out with "gpodder --version"). In that case, please remove all gPodder packages that you have on your tablet and re-install by clicking on the green "install" button on http://maemo.gpodder.org/

Just ask again if you can't get it working (and post the output from the above commands, if any), we'll fix that
Hi again! That's a good advice - I didn't know about the --maemo switch, so it explains the erratic behaviour I got.

However, I still didn't manage to get software working. When trying gpodder with the right switch, I get this:

~ $ gpodder --version
gpodder 0.11.2
~ $ gpodder --maemo
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 166, in <module>
sys.exit( main())
File "/usr/bin/gpodder", line 125, in main
from gpodder import console
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/console.py", line 21, in <module>
from gpodder import download
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/download.py", line 29, in <module>
from gpodder.libgpodder import gl
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/libgpodder.py", line 50, in <module>
import osso
ImportError: No module named osso
~ $

Help?

samikki: Please install the "python2.5-osso" package. Either through the application manager or via "apt-get install python2.5-osso".

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
The new version hasn't changed much, it's just the "official" 0.11.2 release, so bumped the version number.

Originally Posted by thp View Post
samikki: Please install the "python2.5-osso" package. Either through the application manager or via "apt-get install python2.5-osso".
Hi again and thanks!

I installed python2.5-osso (had to learn about Red Pill mode for that but managed to make it) and after having more errors I also installed python2.5-hildon.

After that I managed to get gpodder running and it seems to work quite well!

However, I still get some errors when starting up:

~ $ gpodder --maemo
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/SimpleGladeApp.py:337: GtkWarning: Mixing deprecated and non-deprecated GtkToolbar API is not allowed
return gtk.glade.XML(self.glade_path, root, domain)
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py:281: GtkWarning: gtk_accel_group_find: assertion `GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
self.itemQuit.reparent(menu)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 486, in on_tree_channels_resize
self.cell_channel_icon.set_property('visible', bool(percentage > 24.))
AttributeError: gPodder instance has no attribute 'cell_channel_icon'

Maybe I still need to install something - but I can't tell what based on these errors...

Originally Posted by samikki View Post
However, I still get some errors when starting up:

~ $ gpodder --maemo
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/SimpleGladeApp.py:337: GtkWarning: Mixing deprecated and non-deprecated GtkToolbar API is not allowed
return gtk.glade.XML(self.glade_path, root, domain)
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py:281: GtkWarning: gtk_accel_group_find: assertion `GTK_IS_ACCEL_GROUP (accel_group)' failed
self.itemQuit.reparent(menu)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gpodder/gui.py", line 486, in on_tree_channels_resize
self.cell_channel_icon.set_property('visible', bool(percentage > 24.))
AttributeError: gPodder instance has no attribute 'cell_channel_icon'
I've fixed that in the latest release (which also adds some menu changes and other niceties . The other warnings can be safely ignored.

Tags
media, podcasts