Hello All, just got my kingston 2gb card. I'm flashing for the first time using VMWare ubuntu linux, but I'm sort of stuck. Anyone can help would be appreciated. Here is what I've done so far.

1. start up the vmware ubuntu 5.10
2. download flasher, flasher-2.0 (tried both of them), and the patch image to the desktop
3. go to terminal and cd to Desktop
3. chmod ugo+x flasher flasher-2.0
4. ./flasher --query-root-device

It gives me "suitible usb device not found, waiting"

I've tried rebooting the 770, plugging it directly to the computer's usb port, and pulling the battery out and putting it back in, no luck. I need ubuntu to recognize the 770 before I can flash it. I'll try any distro on a CD if you know it's working as I haven't have the time to install a full version linux yet.

Originally Posted by GlacialPhoenix
At http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,75023,00.html they specifically say that it can only go up to 1gb...

Perhapse something will change in a future OS version?
Read the news, you can use 2gb rsmmc cards.

Also, they probably just put that because when the Nokia 770 came out 1gb cards were the max.

SJ30-Tungsten E- Zodiac 2-?

Does the location column count?

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
NokNok-

Ok, what you probably want to do is in two steps: First, you want to upgrade to the 2006 Beta OS. Before you flash, you need to download the latest FIASCO image. You can find it here

Then, flash the image. Looks like your options are wrong. Look at this page, just use "flasher-2.0" and the name of the beta image instead.

After that, you'll need to upgrade the kernel to support 2GB cards. The instructions to do that are here.

Hope this helps,

Brad.

EDIT: Oops, misread your post. If you've got the new kernel image already downloaded, the only problem is the options you're giving to flasher. See the last post above - it assumes that you're already running 2006 (you'll need to flash to the 2006 Beta as the kernel image won't work for the older OS).

Last edited by bradb; 2006-06-28 at 04:37.

The flashing problems you have could be either a VMware problem (you're running in a virtual machine, which may give you troubles with the USB connection right there) or more likely it is the fact that you're running a really new kernel. To get flasher-2.0 to work on really new Linuxes you have (at least for now) use perl to make it work.

It is very well hidden indeed, but if you search diligently for a looong time on the Maemo.org wiki, you'll eventually find this page:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/Flasher_tool_usage

If you then scroll down about halfway on the page, you'll find an obscure perl command that you need to run and that should help Linuxes with a really new kernel to find the 770 via USB. Worked for me...

Thanks for the tip. I did that. Still it did not recognize it though. I think it is because I'm running it under VMWare virtual machine.

In the process of trying to flash this image I've bricked my 770. When I reboot the 770, it goes about 60% and then reboots infinitely until I pull out the battery. The thing is, I didn't even get the flasher program to recognize the 770. How can the act of trying to flash breaks the 770. This is very strange. Later on today I might try a linux from A CD or something.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
You may try to hold home key while N770 reboots or while you turn it on. This should just let it sit and wait for the flasher. Then you may experiment with flasher until it detects the device.

Great news...I got the 2gig card working. I had to use Knoppix CD and reflash 2006 image. Then I flashed the 2gig patch image. At first it recognize but said that my card was corrupted. Then I format it in windows and put it back in the 770. After a couple of tries it started to work. Still working. I put about 30 megs of pdf on there and used the pdf reader for the first time since 2006 OS. I must say that pdf viewer is quite acceptable now. One bad thing is you can't go to next page while in full screen mode and zoomed in easily. They still need to improve on it.

Thanks bradb, fanoush, kimoj.

Last edited by NokNok770; 2006-06-28 at 21:59.

Have you guys and gals seen the price for 64 MB and 128MB RS-MMC card on the Nokia USA site!

128MB $69.95
64MB $49.95

The Nokia marketing personels must be smoking something reallllllllly good!
The best part is, it's not even available yet "coming soon" next to the price tag.
Just wondering how soon, maybe until we have 4 GB cards around. lol

Glad to hear you're back up and running, NokNok. I tried the VMware route myself first but found that a pure Linux solution (Knoppix for me too) worked much better. Pretty easy to do too, just download and burn the CD and you're good to go.

Manufacturers always have nutty prices on accessories. That's one reason why Newegg & co do so well - they sell at more reasonable prices.

Originally Posted by NokNok770
Great news...I got the 2gig card working. I had to use Knoppix CD and reflash 2006 image. Then I flashed the 2gig patch image. At first it recognize but said that my card was corrupted. Then I format it in windows and put it back in the 770. After a couple of tries it started to work. Still working. I put about 30 megs of pdf on there and used the pdf reader for the first time since 2006 OS. I must say that pdf viewer is quite acceptable now. One bad thing is you can't go to next page while in full screen mode and zoomed in easily. They still need to improve on it.

Thanks bradb, fanoush, kimoj.
Could you please tell me exactly what you did?

I have a Kingston 2GB which doesn't work on the 770, it says it's damaged or unformatted or corrupted. I already formatted the card both in windows and in another Nokia phone (6680), both these devices work fine with the card.