That is precisely the point

Problem is that in 2009 I will give my money exactly once to exactly one manufacturer. Now if Nokia will not announce something attractive in time then they will be too late, at least in my case (I am not even sure whether I go for the one device or the two device strategy; maybe palm can convince me...). BTW I do not understand what the problem would be with such a announcement - the hardware is already designed, isn't it?
The Nokia problem is - Leadership, Customer focus, clear roadmap, speed timeline and Sales Strategy - have no first or second priority for the internet tablet N900 - there is also nothing announced

Last edited by frank.wagner; 2009-01-09 at 05:39.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
"Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor not a magician!"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
The Nokia problem is - Leadership, Customer focus, clear roadmap, timeline and Sales Strategy - have no first or second priority for the internet tablet N900 - there is also nothing announced
Except there is -- info on the baseline hardware platform for Maemo 5 was announced at the Summit, and there's been one public release of the SDK which reveals more info. Making a public announcement of the full device specs this far before release only helps the competition, so Nokia's not likely to, but that hardly means nothing is announced..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
I have that $7/month on-device internet from my Rogers Pay-as-you-go phone (EDGE), that I tether to my N800 right now. And indeed, this is how I optimize my tethering - I limit myself to mobile sites, no downloads, etc. So far, so good, Rogers hasn't said anything - 5 months and counting.
Wait, what?

You tether under the on-device Internet plan? From the Rogers page, that sounds very expensive!

Data usage incurred on ineligible devices or incurred while tethering (using device as wireless modem for computer) or incurred using non-Rogers (3rd party) applications downloaded to your device will be subject to pay-per-use charges of 5 cents/KB.

That's right, 5 cents per KILObyte, not MEGAbyte.

EDIT: I'm not off topic, by the way. Troll threads are always considered fair game for whatever topics come up.

Last edited by qole; 2009-01-09 at 05:35.

Some people are still mistakenly discounting or ignoring the depressing effect of the declining global economy.

Newsflash: it's the reason Nokia let me and many others go. I'm betting it's a factor in the N810WE decision. It's going to affect a great many aspects of the way Nokia does business, because the Finns are very conservative in business. I cannot stress that enough.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
EDIT: I'm not off topic, by the way. Troll threads are always considered fair game for whatever topics come up.
You're qolling.

By the way, if Gadsby had left that "Dammit Jim!" non sequiter above, he'd have gotten lots of LOLs. I'm hurt.

Palm faster than Nokia - unfortunately

* Palm Inc
4.45 Up+1.15 +34.85%
Open: 3.36 High: 4.45 Low: 3.30
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/01/08...ss-conference/

Palm webOS = Linux ???

Last edited by frank.wagner; 2009-01-09 at 06:53.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by frank.wagner View Post
Palm faster than Nokia - unfortunately
Palm may have the advantage in the 1/4 mile, but Nokia's ready for a much longer endurance race.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Well, I don't think 2009 is the end of the world, or even a one-year suspension of the world. People are going to keep buying computers, but they are going to buy cheaper. I got an early start with my $200 shuttle and my $350 eee pc in 2008, but I'm sure I will find cheap stuff in 2009. I don't think the economy is going to completely tank; all that stimulus money is actually having an effect and will continue. The real test is 2010. If a real recovery doesn't start by then, we don't have a recession, we have a realignment, meaning that the good old days are permanently gone.

But still, people will keep buying, but they will buy cheaper. Whoever can do cheap will prosper. Whoever can't, won't. People are going to stop buying what they want but keep buying what they need.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Palm may have the advantage in the 1/4 mile, but Nokia's ready for a much longer endurance race.
Business and Transactions are made today - not tomorrow

Tags
blurry photos, fud, funny farm, haiku, hibernation, not the droids, picnic baskets, straightjacket, trollosaurus rex, what competition?