Active Topics

Notices

Google is indeed getting pretty scary. We all need to sit back and ask ourselves why they are spending billions of dolars to give us free services. Advertising. I cant remember where I read it but google has gathered more data on people than anyone esle ... ever. That's where the profits come from and at some point "Do no Evil" will become "Do nothing really bad ...." (i.e. China) will become "Do make lots of money". I'm not trying to say I am a security freak either. I'm pretty lax about it to be honest. My wife constanly tells me how my identiy will get stolen blah blah blah. I use google for everything right now. I'm starting to get a little worried about personal data tho. Do i really want everything I have ever said on a phone sent to my inbox? Thats a dangerous situation. Some things arent meant to be kept on file, not if you want your marrige to survive.... (drunken phone calls to and old college buddy? Not something I want recorded)

Anyway, just some thoughts.

The tools to protect yourself, even from google, are already available.

Originally Posted by Cruelkix View Post
Google is indeed getting pretty scary. We all need to sit back and ask ourselves why they are spending billions of dolars to give us free services. Advertising. I cant remember where I read it but google has gathered more data on people than anyone esle ... ever. That's where the profits come from and at some point "Do no Evil" will become "Do nothing really bad ...." (i.e. China) will become "Do make lots of money". I'm not trying to say I am a security freak either. I'm pretty lax about it to be honest. My wife constanly tells me how my identiy will get stolen blah blah blah. I use google for everything right now. I'm starting to get a little worried about personal data tho. Do i really want everything I have ever said on a phone sent to my inbox? Thats a dangerous situation. Some things arent meant to be kept on file, not if you want your marrige to survive.... (drunken phone calls to and old college buddy? Not something I want recorded)

Anyway, just some thoughts.
I guess in that instance you would just have to use two phone numbers (like I do now). But in the long run, no matter what you do, you rely on somebody's backbone (cell phone networks, internet provider, etc..). So if you want something private, don't share it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

For those of you that use your n810 to call people with, what headset do you use. I have tried using the headset that came with my device, but the headphone is pretty uncomfortable.

Just realized this "Voice" make over comes with a cost. Calls to canada (and maybe US) are no longer free. How do I downgrade back to grandcentral????

Feel I was tricked by google!

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by dxitt View Post
Just realized this "Voice" make over comes with a cost. Calls to canada (and maybe US) are no longer free. How do I downgrade back to grandcentral????

Feel I was tricked by google!
I use this to call my friend/business partner in Canada for free not looking forward to having to pay for it.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Victoria, BC
The cost is one cent per minute which is practically free. The annoying part is that you can't forward to an "international number".

Note that if you give people a web button, they can still call you for free.

Even with the upgrade, grandcentral still appears to work so you can use it for a while until google voice gets more of the options you need.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Does Google Voice act as a SIP provider for SIP phones/software? (ie. can you use the N810's SIP capabilities with Google Voice?)

I wonder about using them with ZER01 (http://www.zer01mobile.com/). With the upcoming HSPA enabled Maemo 5 platform, ZER01 as your WWAN provider, and Google Voice as your voice/sms transport ... that could be your Maemo phone right there.

(or, if ZER01 ports their software to Linux and/or Maemo, you could skip Google Voice and just use ZER01 as your voice transport ... but I don't think they're doing SMS)

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Victoria, BC
Google voice allows you to set up gizmo as a forwarding phone. In other words, if people call your google voice number you can have it ring your n8xx via sip.

Conversely, if you're always connected with a data plan, then you can put the google voice web page up in your browser and use it to dial out.

People who have sip can dial your gizmo sip.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I just upgraded my account, everything works good so far, and dialcentral still works for placing outgoing calls from the tablet, at least for now. Unfortunatly You cant seem to send sms to cells anymore via googletalk using the +12345678900@sms.talk.google.com formula anymore.