Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Laughing Man:

If it's their first time migrating to OO.o, chances are the company would want to engage with an external party with previous experience in doing similar project to (first) consult for the project's feasibility and risks, and to have them assist with the migration. Either this, or reassign some of your IT staff to (leave their existing tasks and) learn about OO.o and make the migration plan, etc. Either way, those are costs.

You've to train your existing personnel and also all future recruits . so training materials have to be prepared and integrated with new employees training programs. MS Office sort of get a free pass, as you'd see more office workers buy their own copies of MS Office for Dummies (ha) as they see it as a 'valuable skill to have'. Not so with OO.o.

Then when it comes time to the actual migration, it's probably as simple as a network copy + announcement email.. or having it rerolled to whatever application\package distribution system in place and pushed to the elligible departments..

..after that, you'd still have to have competent support in place to deal with any potential problems (compatibility & usability issues mainly).. do keep in mind that office files may come from or be addressed to external parties outside of your control, which 90% of them still use MS Office. (Yes, I know about PDF).

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
OpenOffice= FUD victim.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...57A60P20090812

The last sentence is very interesting

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@Laughing Man:

If it's their first time migrating to OO.o, chances are the company would want to engage with an external party with previous experience in doing similar project to (first) consult for the project's feasibility and risks, and to have them assist with the migration. Either this, or reassign some of your IT staff to (leave their existing tasks and) learn about OO.o and make the migration plan, etc. Either way, those are costs.

You've to train your existing personnel and also all future recruits . so training materials have to be prepared and integrated with new employees training programs. MS Office sort of get a free pass, as you'd see more office workers buy their own copies of MS Office for Dummies (ha) as they see it as a 'valuable skill to have'. Not so with OO.o.

Then when it comes time to the actual migration, it's probably as simple as a network copy + announcement email.. or having it rerolled to whatever application\package distribution system in place and pushed to the elligible departments..

..after that, you'd still have to have competent support in place to deal with any potential problems (compatibility & usability issues mainly).. do keep in mind that office files may come from or be addressed to external parties outside of your control, which 90% of them still use MS Office. (Yes, I know about PDF).
Thanks for explaining. Though it also seems alot of it seems to share overlap with an office upgrade as well since IT departments are usually responsible for testing compatibility of any software or operating system changes before a rollout anyway. And wouldn't compatibility be an issue anyway due to how slow most companies are to adopt new technology (and software) partially due to testing? For example, Word 2007 defaulting to Microsoft's new .docx format if you don't change it over to default to .doc. Even then I think there were compatibility issues between a file made in MSOffice07 and a previous version of MSOffice (due to formatting).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Until *.docx, *.pptx, *.xlsx... I had an international team of over 140 switched fully to Open Office if not NeoOffice/J on the Mac. We kept getting those files in the last year from recent MS Office 2007 - usually the management types - and had to switch... especially since we knew they wouldn't, we had to.

This whole conversation about Linux gurus, et al is going to be circular.

The problem I have is that there are no true, point for point, alternatives that can slot in, or improve upon (in terms of functionality and file interoperability) MS Office.

And with the focus on opensource being much, much lower levels than end apps, I just don't see anything coming out that sector to actually solve or supersede what exists already.

But... on the flipside of the coin. Having Microsoft involved now makes the Nokia offerings more visible to more potential buyers. And that's a damn good thing... the more mainstream this becomes - in terms of sales - then this iteration of Maemo might actually be embraced deeply by a lot of people.

And that's good.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
What Linux gurus? Installing OpenOffice in Windows is as easy as installing Office in Windows. Surely the same IT professionals can handle that? If not they might want to find a new profession if they can't handle clicking .exe files?
Except that the users who suddenly can't do the same standard set of things they have done in MSOffice will run to IT for help. And how many of your plain off-the-shelf Microsoft certified mouse clickers can help them? Yes, right.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Except that the users who suddenly can't do the same standard set of things they have done in MSOffice will run to IT for help. And how many of your plain off-the-shelf Microsoft certified mouse clickers can help them? Yes, right.
Because office 2007 is so similar to the other versions of office now isn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@Laughing Man:

If you put it that way, then I'd have to say MS did a much better job doing (backward) compatibility testing between their MS Office releases than OO.o against MS Office formats =P It's so much less of an issue (format compatibility) upgrading to another MS Office version than to OO.o. Unfortunately.

As for user's response to the 'upgrade': Most will immediately understand that MS Office 2007 is an upgrade from whatever version they were using before (nice gui, whatnot) and they wouldn't mind spending their own time exploring it and getting themselves up to speed. They either 'don't care' or 'somewhat excited' with getting such upgrade.
While getting OO.o replacement is seen as something 'inferior' or 'different' and they generally don't react as positively to this change. "Oh, the company is saving some money at MY cost.. I've to use this inferior software that makes my job harder or less convenient".

Of course user's response is part of the migration preconditioning process... while a great majority of them probably wouldn't care if you tell them about 'opensauce', but telling them how the saving from this project may help the company stay afloat in this tough time should earn their sympathy..

In the end, OO.o is seen as an inferior product which is cheaper, but comes with some unnecessary risks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
<bs>The path is being paved for a future merged entity! It shall be called Microkiahoo!</bs>

Tags
microsoft, nokia, office, phones, rx-51