Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
Anyone else notice that since we have been referring to aSIULAtor's Flick Photo's all the ones we were thinking were from a N900 have been removed. I wonder is that was because we stirred something up and they shouldn't have been posted. Maybe those were real picks.
Yeah i noticed that. I would imagine those were prototype photos and the final product will be better. That may be the reason.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Sorry for quoting myself, but it's related to the topic:

The camera is also impressive, all sustained by GStreamer. Together with good lens and an impressive display, even my pictures look cool (sometimes, and the camera is not to blame). No hurries to transfer or upload the pictures to see them in a big screen: you get a fair impression of the real thing right there with your device. The Maemo team has several hobbyist photographers and all of us are waiting impatiently to get the green light and start uploading pics.
I have a fresh proto and firmware up to date. Usually that green light comes only with the sales start, precisely to avoid that consumers make conclusions based on unfinished software/hardware.

But if you happen to find me an afternoon in the leikkipuisto with my kids, I will show you.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Have you got a link to the twitpic page which links to that image, as it looks like direct linking isn't working and I was looking for a higher-res version than your attachment.

"The photo you were looking for has been deleted."
http://twitpic.com/flf0e

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
Anyone else notice that since we have been referring to aSIULAtor's Flick Photo's all the ones we were thinking were from a N900 have been removed. I wonder is that was because we stirred something up and they shouldn't have been posted. Maybe those were real picks.
hi

just to make things clear, these images and videos that everyone seems to be speculating about were taken with my Panasonic Lumix point and shoot cam (FX500 to be exact - and it's a good camera, I just resize them for the web). If you're wondering about the smaller crappy images..well, they were taken with an iphone (gasp). All this information can also be found on my profile info on flickr...

In regards to photos being deleted..can't a girl do some quality control? i tend to do this all the time with my flickr account, i upload some useless photos that i change my mind about whether or not i want to show them...

@Chilko, sorry for the lame answer I gave you in that photo you questioned about, i was just really using a bit of vague and mysterious words for you to wonder about :P

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to aSIMULAtor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks for coming and talking to us... please, come by more often. Don't be a stranger.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
hehe...will do, Maemo rules!

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by drizek View Post
The more megapixels a camera has, the crappier the individual pixels become. Phones shouldn't have more than one or two megapixels, otherwise they can only take decent pictures outdoors on sunny days. This is hte case here, and the case with almost all of these 5mp cameras. I would rather have the same 3mp as the iPhone, or less ideally.
Do you intend to try to convince anyone here that the 3mp camera in the iPhone is better than the 3mp camera in the 5800xm? That the iPhone camera at 3mp takes better quality photos than the N95 at 5mp? That the N95 is better than the N86 at 8mp? The fact of the matter is that although your first sentence is true in general purpose, there are many other factors that can influence image quality, such as the processing algorithms, the lens package, the physical size of the sensor, and other things.

I'd assume you've never had a flagship model Nseries phone in the last 5 years. They are THE leaders in cameraphone technology, with technology and patents shared with Kodak and Carl Zeiss as well, an unmatched combination you'll definitely change your mind about once you try one. This is the exact same camera module from the N97, so images should be similar in quality, i.e. excellent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Thanks for coming and talking to us... please, come by more often. Don't be a stranger.
I agree with zerojay. Thanks for stopping by and letting us know. asimulator.

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
If pixelpipe comes to Maemo, which I expect, you can upload to nearly every service with simplicity. Its easy on Symbian, at least.
Ok thanks, I didn't know that... will test on my E71 in the meantime

I didn't know about sharepy neither, thanks

Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Do you intend to try to convince anyone here that the 3mp camera in the iPhone is better than the 3mp camera in the 5800xm? That the iPhone camera at 3mp takes better quality photos than the N95 at 5mp? That the N95 is better than the N86 at 8mp? The fact of the matter is that although your first sentence is true in general purpose, there are many other factors that can influence image quality, such as the processing algorithms, the lens package, the physical size of the sensor, and other things.

I'd assume you've never had a flagship model Nseries phone in the last 5 years. They are THE leaders in cameraphone technology, with technology and patents shared with Kodak and Carl Zeiss as well, an unmatched combination you'll definitely change your mind about once you try one. This is the exact same camera module from the N97, so images should be similar in quality, i.e. excellent.
I didn't say that the iPhone camera was better, we haven't been able to compare them yet. What I was saying is that apples decision to go with 3mp instead of 5 was a good one. The E86 has a large sensor, basically the same as the one on a point n shoot. Still, the pictures are not as good as what you get from an 8mp canon, but they are definitely acceptable.

Post processing, storage, uploading photos is a huge issue on phones. They don't have dedicated image processing hardware, and they can't store and upload large file sizes. So when you have these large megapixel files, in order to be able to process and upload them efficiently you have to compromise quality for performance and then quality for file size. A smaller mp file can be better processed and stored with less compression while retaining the same or smaller file size.

The other thing you're somethat wrong about is color reproduction and sharpness. The higher resolution camera means the bayer RGB array is spread out through more pixels, so the 5Mpix cam *CAN* make FAR better (sharper and better colors) 1.3Mpix photo than a 1.3Mpix camera if it's implemented correctly. If it's crap, it's crap, but it's not the pixel COUNT that makes it crap (it's just a part of the equation).
Yes, it isn't pixel count, it is pixel density. Most phones have about the same sensor size though, so there isn't much difference in comparing count and density. Yes, it is true that a giant sensor with a ton of megapixels slooks better, but high pixel density does lead to a reduction in many aspects of picture quality. Most important is the addition of noise, but the other major issue is the reduction in dynamic range. Olympus SLRs had problems with dynamic range up until recently and this was at least in part due to them having a high pixel density than canon or nikon cameras. Of course, improvements in sensor design can overcome these issues, but for now, I would rather phone manufacturers kept mp counts down. Of course, we havent seen any pictures taken with the final device yet, so maybe it is better than what some of the pics that were taken down look like.