Active Topics

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
I use all the side buttons quite regularly. I remapped the cursor keys to scroll and page up and down, the home button to quickly go to the home screen to use the google search, and the escape button to go back as well as stop loading pages.

So I'm glad they kept them there.

Whoops, wasn't aware how bad Nokia doesn't want images out yet. I apologize for this. But I do not regret it

I use the front buttons *all the time*, more so that the top ones actually.

You can browse through an entire session of RSS news reading with mobile Bloglines using just your left thumb, while having breakfast or pretending to take notes in a meeting or whatever with the other hand :-)

I like the front buttons. Only reason they are infrequently used is because I'm lefthanded (but trying to teach myself to use the stylus righthandedly...handwriting will be utterly impossible like that, but i don't think that feature is for me anyway,right or left...)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fanoush
Wow that one is ugly :-) And besides, buttons on right side would be very practical too. So much wasted empty space. Again product which completely ignores left-handers just like the 770. I hope it is some experimental design from early times which was later superseded by N770
Ugly is subjective. I like its retro looks.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by spycedtx
the fact alone he hasn't explored all of the facets of the distributions, but feels justified in griping about everything, says he doesn't deserve the chance.

and my backup for this statement was his question about "the red dot" at the top of the display.
Good points.

Cane is interesting to read, but his PMS has to be taken with a grain of salt. It's obvious to most of us, I'm sure, that regardless of how Nokia packaged the 770 it was an enthusiast's device and needs to be considered in that context. If anyone has issues with that, blame corporate marketing, not the device itself. Sheesh.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by fpp
You can browse through an entire session of RSS news reading with mobile Bloglines using just your left thumb, while having breakfast or pretending to take notes in a meeting or whatever with the other hand :-)
is this real? I cannot do it because it appears that clicking the D-pad center button just removes the bottom bar then maximizes the right frame. I have to doubleclick an RSS to let the program load it on the right frame.

I am talking about Bloglines 770. Is it the same app you are talking of?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Hedgecore
Damnit. That meant the grime-gathering more-integrated-things-to-stick-out-and-break thing is real.
Request for picture removal can mean anything. Maybe they just don't like their logo on unapproved image. But most probably this is hurting sales no matter it is true or not. Even if it is some early 870 sample the real thing might be many months away. Remember how long we waited for 770 to actually hit the shelves after bold annoucment? Half a year or more. And still releasing this picture might cause some people here to just wait and not buy current model (which is quite good).

And imagine how pissed off they (Nokia) must be if this is really fake, next thing is half year or more away, and the sales stop now due to this?

But anyway, back to the picure, call me conservative (which I am) but I'd wish only improved internals without much change to current design. Maybe some additional buttons on other side which might became handy for games and also for left handed people (like me). Best would be to have identical buttons on left and right with some configuration which side is primary. The other side then becomes a bonus (like pageup/down if primary side scrolls one line, right mouse button in center etc.)

I agree fanoush, these are my options:
1- buy gps pack, 199$ (this price is half of the 870)
2- wait and buy the 870

and now, with this photo, it's clear for me, option 2; for nokia without this photo it's clear too, option 1 now and them option 2....

Originally Posted by maxilogan
is this real? I cannot do it because it appears that clicking the D-pad center button just removes the bottom bar then maximizes the right frame. I have to doubleclick an RSS to let the program load it on the right frame.
I am talking about Bloglines 770. Is it the same app you are talking of?
No. I use the regular Bloglines web site, in its "mobile" mode (no frames), showing only feeds with new posts.
This works very well in Opera with the up/dows keys remapped for scrolling, while the right/left keys still select links.
This way I press "left" to select one of the feeds in the list,
use up/down to read the posts,
at the bottom "left" again to select the "update" button then "enter",
and I'm back to the feeds list, and so on.