Active Topics

Originally Posted by N770-Freak
Are you trying to use the already packaged version or a self compiled version???
gstreamer-tools? I used the version in the repositories.

If you want to compile it yourself you should look at the developer mailinglist (Nov 2006). There you can find also the information for debugging this gstreamer stuff! You should use the latest cvs of gst-plugins-bad otherwise it won't work (look at the hole thread, it was mentioned before)!
I've read the thread, and frankly it didn't give me much information... Using the latest gst-plugins-bad would mean compiling the whole gstreamer, wouldn't it?
Originally Posted by ./configure
Requested 'gstreamer-0.10 >= 0.10.9.1' but version of GStreamer is 0.10.5
Did you compile the whole gstreamer?
You mentioned that playback is choppy. How about your cpu usage?
About 22%, and after some tests I wouldn't call it actually choppy: there are only problems when e.g. changing the active window -- I'm not at all familiar with linux sound architecture but it looks like a buffer is just a little too small.

Thanks for the help, by the way,
- Jussi

Last edited by jussik; 2006-12-02 at 15:10.

Originally Posted by jussik
gstreamer-tools? I used the version in the repositories.
i meant the ogg (tremor, gst-plugins-bad) stuff!

I've read the thread, and frankly it didn't give me much information... Using the latest gst-plugins-bad would mean compiling the whole gstreamer, wouldn't it?

Did you compile the whole gstreamer?
Yes, i compiled gstreamer-0.10.10!
And if you don't use a new cvs of gst-plugins-bad it won't work (i tried it! believe me). gst-launch worked for me too with an old gst-plugins-bad version, but osso-media-server didn't.

Compile gstreamer 0.10.10 (stable) for your developer platform.
Download cvs of gst-plugins-bad and edit the configure.ac to check for a lower gstreamer version than 0.10.10.1 (this version still doesn't exists, so it will fail).
If you want to debug this stuff you'll also have to compile the gstreamer stuff with debuging enabled!

About 22%, and after some tests I wouldn't call it actually choppy: there are only problems when e.g. changing the active window -- I'm not at all familiar with linux sound architecture but it looks like a buffer is just a little too small.
22% are ok! i think this will also depend on audio quality-level.

Greetings...
N770-Freak

Yes, i compiled gstreamer-0.10.10!
And if you don't use a new cvs of gst-plugins-bad it won't work (i tried it! believe me). gst-launch worked for me too with an old gst-plugins-bad version, but osso-media-server didn't.
Thanks. I managed to miss this (and figured that the howto would have mentioned if I needed to do something like that). Let's see how it goes.

EDIT:
You are correct! Everything works now: Audio player plays my oggs (no skips or anything). The working configuration:
- libvorbisidec (tremor) version 1.0.2+svn12153 packaged for Debian by Daniel Gillmore (but not included in Debian yet) (link)
- gstreamer0.10 version 0.10.10-2 from debian
- gst-plugins-bad0.10 from gstreamer CVS (2006-12-03)

Some fiddling was needed but in the end it seems to work like charm.

Last edited by jussik; 2006-12-03 at 10:57. Reason: added test results

Originally Posted by jussik
The working configuration:
- libvorbisidec (tremor) version 1.0.2+svn12153 packaged for Debian by Daniel Gillmore (but not included in Debian yet) (link)
- gstreamer0.10 version 0.10.10-2 from debian
- gst-plugins-bad0.10 from gstreamer CVS (2006-12-03)
That's good news, but now I'm confused. How is what you have done different from what N770-Freak has packaged, and is there a consensus of which of these two is better?

Thanks - Neil

Originally Posted by neiljerram
That's good news, but now I'm confused. How is what you have done different from what N770-Freak has packaged, and is there a consensus of which of these two is better?

Thanks - Neil
I think it is almost the same what i did! (not more not less)
Perhaps jussik wants to comment this.

Different routes, same result. With my method you end up with three pretty standard packages (the diffs to the mentioned packages are just a few lines) and one small self-made configuration package -- if I find the time to do some cleaning up, I could release them on garage (or somewhere) and maintaining should not be difficult...

By the way, extra thanks for your package N770-Freak: Getting some of the stuff in the maintainer scripts correct would have taken me ages without a "reference implementation".

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by N770-Freak
ad 1: how did you install this package? from console or with the packagemanager (red/blue pill?)? any error messages?
(please install the package in xterm and post the install messages!)
OK ... I got a chance to investigate this issue ... here is what I get when I try to install using dkg -i on the xterm:

Code:
Selecting previously deselected package gst-ogg-vorbis.
(Reading database ... 13521 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking gst-ogg-vorbis (from .../mmc1/gst-ogg-vorbis_0.1.deb) ...
Setting up gst-ogg-vorbis (0.1) ...
gconftool-2: I've been haxored to use xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults as the config source.
Attached schema `/schemas/apps/osso/osso_media_server/audio/application_ogg' to key `/apps/osso/osso_media_server/audio/application_ogg'
Installed schema `/schemas/apps/osso/osso_media_server/audio/application_ogg' for locale `C'
* Updating MIME database in /usr/share/mime...
* Warning: Unknown media type in type 'sketch/png'
Wrote 488 strings at 20 - 285c
Wrote aliases at 285c - 2a08
Wrote parents at 2a08 - 33ac
Wrote literal globs at 33ac - 3408
Wrote suffix globs at 3408 - 6ce0
Wrote full globs at 6ce0 - 6d04
Wrote magic at 6d04 - ce48
Wrote namespace list at ce48 - ce58
Stopping media-server
Starting media-server
The curious bit is the "* Warning: Unknown media type in type 'sketch/png'"
That seems to happen in the 'update-mime-database /usr/share/mime' step of the postinst script.

The ";audio/x-vorbis" seems to be appended to /usr/share/applications/hildon/osso-music-player.desktop correctly.

It still won't show oggs in the Open track dialog though after many reboots and some reinstallation attempts.

Not sure what is going on unless that warning is causing some hidden grief ... It doesn't look like it should though.

Originally Posted by mwiktowy
The curious bit is the "* Warning: Unknown media type in type 'sketch/png'"
That seems to happen in the 'update-mime-database /usr/share/mime' step of the postinst script.
This warning is "normal". I got it every time i updated mime-database!
The whole output of your installation seems to be ok.

As it were mentioned some posts before: it seems that this problem could be related to other installed applications. after i installed canola my ogg playback doesn't work at all (i get an "Wiedergabefehler"/Playback error) . I had and have no time at the moment to look at this! Sorry. (Have you checked your gconf entries?)

Perhaps jussik can help you.

Greetings...
N770-Freak

Originally Posted by neiljerram
I think installing Canola has broken something. Before I installed Canola, I was able to play .oggs in Audio Player. Now I get the same behaviour that you have just described.
To update this: I still have Canola installed, but now Audio Player is working again with .oggs. I don't know what has caused this improvement - perhaps there's only a problem if one actually runs Canola since the last reboot? I'll experiment more if I get time.

- Neil

N770-Freak,
Thanks!

I have another successful install.
I downloaded the package here
As root, used the command dpkg -i gst-ogg-vorbis_0.1.deb.
NOTE:The first time I rebooted it did not work. I had the charger plugged in and the boot seemed too fast for an actual reboot.
The second time I rebooted with the charger unplugged.

And now I can play ogg files from the built-in Music Player.
I use Jinzora as a web app on my PC to server up the playlist.
Attached Images

Last edited by dino; 2006-12-11 at 20:26.