Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by SavageD View Post
I thought this thread was about the n900
Yap.

and seriously, does android pay you to be here?
..so the rumors are true! There are astroturfers outside Microsoft perimeters!

Cause I could care less about anything android has to offer...
Does it make sense to compare the Nokia N900 to other smart computers, mobile phones, etc, so we can draw some distinction in the definitions? Yes, it does.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yap.

..so the rumors are true! There are astroturfers outside Microsoft perimeters!

Does it make sense to compare the Nokia N900 to other smart computers, mobile phones, etc, so we can draw some distinction in the definitions? Yes, it does.
Why are you talking to yourself?....

Edit: Any other reply to this post I would simply ignore as I hate to take things off topic.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-09-15 at 19:13.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I thought this thread was about the n900 O_o....and seriously, does android pay you to be here? Cause I could care less about anything android has to offer... >_>
It is. And I provided an illustrative example and parallels to other things other phones/computers can do that the N900 might be able or unable to do and pointing out that THEY are seen as PHONES. Didn't you read the topic? I probably couldn't care less about your opinions, but I still read it in case you made a valid point but instead you appeared to be reactively dismissing things out of hand instead of digesting the points being made.

Edit: Any other reply to this post I would simply ignore as I hate to take things off topic.
Soooooo you're asking someone why they're talking to themselves... and then pointing out that you're not going to listen to anyone else's response... which sounds suspiciously like talking to yourself?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Ah, what an in depth reply...

Here's an answer to your question though. It is called a rhetoric question. From Wikipedia:

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply (e.g.: "Why me?")[1] Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to think about what the (often obvious) answer to the question must be. When a speaker states, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?", no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something.
In this case, the rhetoric question is answered by the writer. Perhaps you've ever heard president Obama talk with "yes we can". Same mechanism.

Yeah, nice straw man. Danramos is being informative, and this is what his discussion partner does: a few ad hominems ("do you work for Android") and then whine about others going off topic. No candy, nice try though.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I thought this thread was about the n900 O_o....and seriously, does android pay you to be here? Cause I could care less about anything android has to offer... >_>
I seriously must be missing out on this "paid to be here" revenue.

I want my cut.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
IMO, the notion that the N900 is a computer is almost beside the point. As I was reading the thread, I couldn't think of anything that the N900 can run that iOS or Android can't. And both of those can run tons of things not available for the N900.

But can you do real computing things on either of the other main 2 OSes without handing over control and personal data to either Apple or Google? Not that I can tell. My Android phone can kinda work if I don't log in to my Gmail account but to run apps (legally) you either need to give up your privacy or use a computer to manage the phone. I refuse to use iTunes, so I don't know how far away you can stay from Apple but to get and activate a new unit, I'm guessing it's pretty difficult, if not impossible.

Ironically, Windows Mobile is the only other OS where you can mostly manage the device without handing over personal info. While you must ActiveSync to use some features, as long as you have a card slot, you can add and remove data and many programs.

With the N900, the only time I've only ever needed to give Nokia information was when I upgraded to 1.2 and then they only wanted the IMEI number.

The best mobile computing devices are ones that work without getting permission from anyone and can be used without being tied to another computer.

I know the concept of privacy is outdated and I really have a boring life with nothing to actually keep private - I just want to use my gadgets the way I want to. And that freedom is standard on the N900.

Terry

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Asturias, Spain
The N900 is a mobile computer, ok, now how i convince other people?
Do Unix things with xterm, use aircrack-ng, use apt-get, and you can convice the people that can be satisfied with a N900.

Last edited by deimian86; 2010-09-15 at 20:12.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by terryowen View Post
But can you do real computing things on either of the other main 2 OSes without handing over control and personal data to either Apple or Google? Not that I can tell. My Android phone can kinda work if I don't log in to my Gmail account but to run apps (legally) you either need to give up your privacy or use a computer to manage the phone. I refuse to use iTunes, so I don't know how far away you can stay from Apple but to get and activate a new unit, I'm guessing it's pretty difficult, if not impossible.
Not at all. You CAN refuse to log into Gmail, go to setting to enable third party apps, go off into the web and download apk's to your hearts' content from any number of sources (including the Android Scripting Environment which you don't necessarily have to get from the Market.. without rooting, even). It's possible that the Apple side of things has similar possibilities if you jailbreak them.

Edit: Oh right, forgot to add the "ka-ching!" sound to the end of my posts.

KA-CHING!

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It is. And I provided an illustrative example and parallels to other things other phones/computers can do that the N900 might be able or unable to do and pointing out that THEY are seen as PHONES. Didn't you read the topic? I probably couldn't care less about your opinions, but I still read it in case you made a valid point but instead you appeared to be reactively dismissing things out of hand instead of digesting the points being made.

Soooooo you're asking someone why they're talking to themselves... and then pointing out that you're not going to listen to anyone else's response... which sounds suspiciously like talking to yourself?
You misunderstood me when I said that i would ignore any other reply to that particular post...because i meant simply that, I would ignore any other reply to that "particular post." In fact I'm ignoring "allnameswereout" right now because of that. It does not mean that I would not read the replies to it.

Now to get things back on topic, why would I call the n900 more of a mobile computer than a phone:

1) It has a ridiculous 32gb of built in memory + additional sd card support.

2) It's Operating System is closer to a linux platform than any other device on the market. So much so that if you were to enter root directory "/", it would be hard to tell the difference between Ubuntu and the Maemo platform if you placed them side by side. Infact, it's much more easier to port linux software to Maemo than any other device currently in the market.

3) Built in terminal support, (no need for some weird other worldly hack to acheive this).

4) It can run many other Operating Systems including easy debian and android.

5) Although It lacks support from major companies and uh...Nokia >_>...the device still lives on because of it's hackabilty and similarity to the linux platform (computer), and also it's great community support.

6) Lacking apps doesn't make it any less of a computer than, than a computer lacking software.

7) Processor power...although it comes with 600mhz, it can be overclocked to 1ghz.

I can go on but, I don't see the need to.

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-09-15 at 20:24.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by TiagoTiago View Post
(people who consider the N900 just a a smartphone please don't troll in this thread)
What is the best way to convince people when i show them my N900 that it's not a smartphone?
Don't - If they don't get it very quickly, then they probably never will!

I ride a Moulton bicycle, and it's the same with that. It has small wheels (20 inch), a spaceframe frame, and full suspension, and it weighs about the same as a conventional bike.

Very few of the wider population get the advantage of the bike, and I have found that they either get it (quicker acceleration and handling, stiffer, more comfortable), or they don't and just wonder why I don't have a normal bike like everyone else.

Just enjoy not being a sheep!!!

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:

Tags
derp-derp, snl-shimmer